If Pool EVER Wants To be called a sport

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy who makes good side money playing cornhole tourneys. D'ya hear that? Cornhole. I don't know if they sit around worrying about it being a sport. They just go out and have fun playing it.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just based on New England Because I don't work tournaments anymore. I would enjoy pool much more as a sport if I wasn't so discusted with the extremely loud thumping music. There is pool then there's the image of pool.

We are just old relics Mike- I was unable to play in quite a few rooms 20 plus years ago due to the 'music'-cant imagine today-I finally threw in the towel 10 yrs or so ago.-More reasons than just the music though.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kids can't even sit through a line at a store without pulling out the phone.They ain't watching a 2 hour pool match live.Never gonna happen.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just based on New England Because I don't work tournaments anymore. I would enjoy pool much more as a sport if I wasn't so discusted with the extremely loud thumping music. There is pool then there's the image of pool.

To be fair to the players, I don't think many pool players play that stuff, it's the kids showing up on dates or with friends to drink that start with the gangsta rap. Most pool players I know like to play southern rock, and one loves Sinatra LOL

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The average NFL game lasts over 3 hours and has 11 minutes of actual playing time.

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast, slow, hot, cold, don't matter, cause Goldilocks ain't turning on the TV.

To me, pool is a lot like golf. I was a scratch golfer for many years and went to many tournaments and watched it on TV every chance I had. But the game got too slow for me so I quit playing tournaments and when Tiger came on the scene, I quit watching all together. The pros are simply robots now. I think the simple fact is that if you don't play the game, you don't watch the game.

Lets just face facts, pool is not a main stream sport like it use to be in it's heyday.

Lot of things have changed. TV has exploded with NETFLIX, and all the great shows on now. There are hundreds of channels. To get folks to stop on billiards is a huge uphill battle. I watch it on TV the few times it's on and my wife just goes to facebook on her Ipad until pool is over. Nothing there for her to even care about, even though I have a table in the basement and play leagues a few time a week, and occasional weekend tourney. She has ZERO interest. She loves baseball and football though, so it's not that she does not like sports. Plus she played HS basketball for 4 years.

Video games are through the ROOF. Pro video gamers make $1M per year, it's huge. They are not on TV either. There are so many activities now then before.

Plus, kids play sports year round, and they are watching the sports they play, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, basketball, etc.

My kid just started college, and there are 500 active organizations you can join, it's crazy. They do have a Billiards Club, looks to be about 15 kids. That's not a lot when you consider the university has 45K students and they recruited all of 15 for the pool team. And yep, they do play against Lindenwood University which is kind of cool. THey played them last weekend, they lost, but it's good for them to play good players.

To me, pool is a lot like golf. I was a scratch golfer for many years and went to many tournaments and watched it on TV every chance I had. But the game got too slow for me so I quit playing tournaments and when Tiger came on the scene, I quit watching all together. The pros are simply robots now. I think the simple fact is that if you don't play the game, you don't watch the game

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
To me, pool is a lot like golf. I was a scratch golfer for many years and went to many tournaments and watched it on TV every chance I had. But the game got too slow for me so I quit playing tournaments and when Tiger came on the scene, I quit watching all together. The pros are simply robots now. I think the simple fact is that if you don't play the game, you don't watch the game

Yes, you are exactly right. My father-in-law was a sports junky, he'd watch womans college badmitton, he didn't care. He played lots of sports in his day as well. But he never watched pool, not one single time.

I don't watch golf. I play it once per year with some buddies. But watching golf, no chance on earth I'm watching golf. Just no interest at all.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting notion.

Please explain golf. That's boring as hell with huge gaps in "action" if you can even call it that...and it is pretty successful as a pro sport.

Once they reach the ball even pro golfers take a long time...and that does not account for the extensive time they are doing nothing but staring at the ball and the course like they have never seen that shot before.

And according to this study, the golf pros take longer than golf amateurs. :confused:

http://golftips.golfweek.com/long-player-shot-golf-20631.html

Pro golf might be slow and boring but the drama is 1st place pays a million dollars or more.
sometimes a missed putt on the 18th hole will cost a $100k or so to the runner ups.
Pro pool is chump change compared to most other sports.
And if pro pool paid huge there would be deals and dumps at every tournament.
I may not see it but pool will be almost dead in the future.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I see this all the time, but I never see an explanation as to why pool needs to be faster. What exactly would that do?

It would give an advantage to those who shoot quicker.

That be the punksters, not us oldies. We oldies have to take time to think through all the extra crap we know that sometimes just gets in the way and we have to allow time for our eyes and brains to talk to each other, and we have to allow the physical pains and things to adjust to whatever position we're in, and we don't concern ourselves with what time it is.

How's that?

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Boy howdy on that. How difficult could it be to unplug the juke during a tournament?

That box, vs. the other boxes in the room, is one that people actually put money into.

When I complained years ago to a room manager about ACDC' Hell's Bells constantly being on the juke, she told me to that other people like it so I could leave if I didn't. So, I figured from then on, I'd fill the jukebox with money and play just the songs I like, but that got expensive and didn't always work if it was already full, so I did what the other patrons did and quit going there much. It's closed now. :(

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

I quit golf, too, for being slow...and expensive. That was the late 80's or so.

But I still watch it for some reason. Not closely, but I have it on on Sunday while I'm mowing or whatever and I stick my head in the room to catch a few shots here and there.

I have the Billiard Channel (on Sling) on right now but am watching it about a closely as I watch golf. I wonder if advertisers care about that?

Jeff Livingston

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Pool will never become a sport....until the players start kneeling before a match.
:eek:uttahere:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are just old relics Mike- I was unable to play in quite a few rooms 20 plus years ago due to the 'music'-cant imagine today-I finally threw in the towel 10 yrs or so ago.-More reasons than just the music though.

Probably right. One really stupid comment by a tournament director/ Dj. I do this to bring in the yound people. I'm suppose to respect that? I don't think so. Younger players show up for competition and money. If your in a room that when you turn up the music to a level where it sounds like a cheap stereo and echos. That's not good. I don't blame anyone except management.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a non issue IMO. Video can be edited to exclude a player standing there staring at the table for any length of time. For some reason people are equating a live stream to what would/could be shown on tv.

For my money, the best pool videos were from the old propoolvideo.com. Edited to show the game, not John Doe standing there scratching his ass for 5 minutes before shooting a routine shot. :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zcedb_yEAk

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Simple fix for television.
Play 9 ball Dodge Pool in a round robin format.
Played in a 25x25 room.
8 man field, 4 players on each side.
No helmet, no cup, nuttin.
Each player gets 9 Centennial balls in an egg basket.
Start whipping fast balls at each other; a good aiming or ducking system may come in handy.
Last two standing begin the tourney, the others begin play as they wake up (if they wake up)
The finals are a race to 5 nine ball, and 1on 1 Dodge Pool.
You must win by two, if you survive.

The kids will tune in for that,possibly make a video game.