When ameteur competitors consistantly cash in professional events

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't agree that it should be determined by the money earned. But should be determined by the skill level displayed.

How many times have we seen someone in a job that no one would call a professional at it? Look at how the skilled trades do it. (which is what pool really is) They have different skill levels, with only the top level being considered a true professional.

apprentice=amateur

journeyman=semi-pro

master=pro

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I don't agree that it should be determined by the money earned. But should be determined by the skill level displayed.

How many times have we seen someone in a job that no one would call a professional at it? Look at how the skilled trades do it. (which is what pool really is) They have different skill levels, with only the top level being considered a true professional.

apprentice=amateur

journeyman=semi-pro

master=pro

Well said Neil.

Honestly imop we all belong in the box together. And the women should be playing with the men.

The “amateurs” and women’s games would skyrocket if so.....that’s not an opinion that’s just a fact.

-Greyghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
Why not do it like golf? How many of us say...why can't pool be like golf? Here is golfs rule..

The Rules of Amateur Status appear on the About.com Golf site courtesy of the USGA, are used with permission, and may not be reprinted without the permission of the USGA.)

Definitions
All defined terms are in italics and are listed alphabetically in the Definitions section.

3-1. Playing for Prize Money

a. General
An amateur golfer must not play golf for prize money or its equivalent in a match, competition or exhibition.

Advertisement

However, an amateur golfer may participate in a golf match, competition or exhibition where prize money or its equivalent is offered, provided that prior to participation he waives his right to accept prize money in that event.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not do it like golf? How many of us say...why can't pool be like golf? Here is golfs rule..

The Rules of Amateur Status appear on the About.com Golf site courtesy of the USGA, are used with permission, and may not be reprinted without the permission of the USGA.)

Definitions
All defined terms are in italics and are listed alphabetically in the Definitions section.

3-1. Playing for Prize Money

a. General
An amateur golfer must not play golf for prize money or its equivalent in a match, competition or exhibition.

Advertisement

However, an amateur golfer may participate in a golf match, competition or exhibition where prize money or its equivalent is offered, provided that prior to participation he waives his right to accept prize money in that event.

Simple answer why you cannot do that: there isn't enough money in pool to matter. The whole issue of pro or not is spilled milk in pool.

There isn't enough money to make it worth an "amateur" to make the jump to "pro" level.

Can anyone give me a reason other than pride and ego why you would want to bar someone at a certain skill level from "robbing" you of your $7 at league or a $20 tournament? Thus far I haven't heard even close to a legitimate reason to elevate someone to a skill level that effectively limits their ability to enjoy a hobby.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

apprentice=amateur

journeyman=semi-pro

master=pro

LOL......how is pool a "skilled trade?" Skilled tradesmen make a living. Not just 20 guys in the country........hundreds of thousands of people make a living at a skilled trade. Hell, most apprentice tradesmen make more money than a pro pool player.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for Brian Parks, he really isn't winning tons of money at the US Amateur Championships. I would imagine he just thinks it's fun and that's why he does it. Why take that away from him?

Because he is taking it away from the others that actually play like "amateurs". Since there are no real "pro" rankings or a tour card, the only way in pool to say if someone is a pro is if someone plays at the top level. Heck, most places don't even follow their own rules. There was an event by me that stated "no one that won a regional event can play", and someone there not only won one just months before, but was in the news for winning it because he was the second youngest to ever win one of those tour stops LOL. Just because your name is not Rodney Morris or Mika Immonen does not mean that if you play like him, you are ranked as an "amateur".

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because he is taking it away from the others that actually play like "amateurs". Since there are no real "pro" rankings or a tour card, the only way in pool to say if someone is a pro is if someone plays at the top level. Heck, most places don't even follow their own rules. There was an event by me that stated "no one that won a regional event can play", and someone there not only won one just months before, but was in the news for winning it because he was the second youngest to ever win one of those tour stops LOL. Just because your name is not Rodney Morris or Mika Immonen does not mean that if you play like him, you are ranked as an "amateur".

So, by that theory, should the top pros who continue to win events be put in an even higher category? After all, they are "taking it away" from the lesser pro players by winning all the events.

The guy does get some wins in pro events, but overall he can't hang with them consistently. He currently is the best "amateur" just like SVB is the best "pro."

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about pool, but in golf if an amateur competes in a pro event and wins money and takes the money, he is no longer considered an amateur. It should be the same in pool or any sporting event.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about pool, but in golf if an amateur competes in a pro event and wins money and takes the money, he is no longer considered an amateur. It should be the same in pool or any sporting event.

Difference is for example in the PGA Championship, placing gets you $19,100.

Placing at the U.S. Open gets you your money back.

So.....if you enact a rule like that, then your player pool will dry up. No amateur would take a chance playing and placing in a pro event just to get barred from all amateur events. Player pools are already fairly dismal. This would make it worse.

Everyone can keep saying "money doesn't matter," but it absolutely does. Risk/Reward is always on the table.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
This will always be talked about until we are blue in the face. It is up to the TD to decide who plays and who can't. There are some tourneys around here that I am not allowed to play in even though there are some players that I think play stronger than me that are allowed. I don't hold a grudge or cry, I respect the Td's choice.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
This will always be talked about until we are blue in the face. It is up to the TD to decide who plays and who can't. There are some tourneys around here that I am not allowed to play in even though there are some players that I think play stronger than me that are allowed. I don't hold a grudge or cry, I respect the Td's choice.

I think people are being unreasonable, again I have great respect for Justin Bergman, but if a flyer is announced that says NO PROS and a bunch of local players get in the tournament assuming they will be playing against non-pro level players, and then the TD allows Justin Bergman and a few other very high skill level players in the tournament, what exactly does the NO PROS advertisement mean? I mean seriously anyone who doesnt think Justin is a pro or pro level player has their head in the clouds, if Justin can play then there isnt really anyone left to bar I mean Justin is the best player in the USA right now imo. SVB fans will find out pretty soon.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
I think people are being unreasonable, again I have great respect for Justin Bergman, but if a flyer is announced that says NO PROS and a bunch of local players get in the tournament assuming they will be playing against non-pro level players, and then the TD allows Justin Bergman and a few other very high skill level players in the tournament, what exactly does the NO PROS advertisement mean? I mean seriously anyone who doesnt think Justin is a pro or pro level player has their head in the clouds, if Justin can play then there isnt really anyone left to bar I mean Justin is the best player in the USA right now imo. SVB fans will find out pretty soon.

That is why I say its up to the TD, and If he allows pro's in then you can always request your money back. I don't agree with letting him play if the flyer says no pros allowed but I am not the TD or the room owner.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For one thing SVB's accomplishments are unparalleled in this era. Bergman has a loooooonng way to go.

Love Justins game, table presence, and I hope ONE day you are correct.

On the tournament I couldnt agree more. Ask the t.d. what the hell is going on there? Seems simple enough.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So, figure out a way to be fair to everyone in pool.......

We'll wait.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If Justin is reporting his winnings, expensing his travel, fees, lodging and chalk, he is
performing as a professional. His accolade's is the call for the TD to accept or not.
Everybody wants to play, the elimination format is a issue when mixing it up with want-
a-play and the few that play professionally all in at one level.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member

We'll wait.

The only thing honest would have been not to use the bait and switch headline NO PROS, then people would realize the tournament was open to everyone and go in with that expectation.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing honest would have been not to use the bait and switch headline NO PROS, then people would realize the tournament was open to everyone and go in with that expectation.

Have to define "pro" in a world where there is no recognized central league or governing body. Like I said, its spilled milk in pool. You can write "No Pros" on a flier and then ask 10 people what they consider a pro player and you'll get at least five different answers.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's my opinion that since pool doesn't have any governing body nor anything similar to golf to clearly state when someone is a pro then it's up to each person to decide what a professional pool player is. To me, a professional poolplayer is based solely on their skill. I don't care if they have a day job or not, if they play "x" speed then they're a "pro" and shouldn't be allowed in amateur events.

If you're going to advertise that something is for amateurs then pros shouldn't be allowed in, plain and simple. The only caveat to that is that some people will define pro differently (I didn't say incorrectly) than I do or some other people do.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this isn't about Brian Parks, but since everyone else is making it about him I'll add my two cents. If he gets banned from amateur events, then someone else will be the best. Then we should ban that guy too? Then who's next? I guess my point is, someone has to be the best. I also really agree with whoever posted "who gives a shit?"

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We'll wait.

Why does pool have to be fair to everyone when it already is? Ether your good enough or you're not! Guess what......I don't pony up the cash to play in the US open because I'm not good enough for the money, but..........if I could play those guys for thirty bucks I'm all in! So for me it's not about being good enough (which I'm not) it's just the cost to play!

Ppl want it to be fair, then put in 8hrs a day 7 days a week for 5 years and then it will be fair, ohhh wait you can't do that?? Then let's complain about those who have and mastered this hobby of a game!

Sorry rant over!