Silver Member
I feel sorry for the elephants.
What does that mean for ivory trade?
Maybe Ernie will get an apology

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Haven't seen anything in the trade publication's on ivory, not interested the ivory though, am looking for
a trend, an easing for imported wood-exotic's, its around now but way over price.
Would be great if we can back to pre 911 imports, pre 2008 would even good. All it
takes is a couple of entities to see a market, a demand, things are trending up in that
regard. Were talking by the boat load for any price appreciation to occur. China is
preparing for an uptick, story is they're stock piling containers in the pacific northwest
for any and all logs they can buy.
California conservation practices prefers everything burn to ground than make use of it.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well.

Elephants killed 3 people in Africa last week by elephants. Probably more if some one tallied up the locals, but these were 2 tourists taking their picture and one was hunting elephants.

I am a hunter and a conservationist. But, for the most part I am a meat hunter. I have some small pieces of what I think is elephant ivory in a cue and I am talking small.

My wife was born here in Alaska and I have been here 52 years, so we probably view hunting a bit differently then the average state side city folks.

I have no desire to shoot an elephant for it's tusks. But if I was in Africa and an elephant was terrorizing a village I would pop it in a heart beat if the game warden allowed it.

We have walrus ivory, fossilized mastodon ivory and a couple other keep sakes.

There is so much emotion that comes into play when hunting or killing animals is brought up and often it is not factually based.

Poachers are what is hurting elephant and rhino populations, not legal harvesting under strict quota guidelines. Poachers grab the ivory or rhino horn and run leaving the meat for the buzzards.

Guided hunters harvest a renewable resource and bring hundreds of thousands of dollars into a struggling economy and most of the meat is donated to a needy village.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Spot on! Many of these animals would be extinct in certain places if not for trophy hunting. This current crop of liberal peta loving snowflakes can't seem to wrap there mind around it.
On another note, you have a hookup on a nice Oosik?

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elephants killed 3 people in Africa last week by elephants. Probably more if some one tallied up the locals, but these were 2 tourists taking their picture and one was hunting elephants.

I am a hunter and a conservationist. But, for the most part I am a meat hunter. I have some small pieces of what I think is elephant ivory in a cue and I am talking small.

My wife was born here in Alaska and I have been here 52 years, so we probably view hunting a bit differently then the average state side city folks.

I have no desire to shoot an elephant for it's tusks. But if I was in Africa and an elephant was terrorizing a village I would pop it in a heart beat if the game warden allowed it.

We have walrus ivory, fossilized mastodon ivory and a couple other keep sakes.

There is so much emotion that comes into play when hunting or killing animals is brought up and often it is not factually based.

Poachers are what is hurting elephant and rhino populations, not legal harvesting under strict quota guidelines. Poachers grab the ivory or rhino horn and run leaving the meat for the buzzards.

Guided hunters harvest a renewable resource and bring hundreds of thousands of dollars into a struggling economy and most of the meat is donated to a needy village.

I’m definitely not anti-hunting, but when people choose to hang out around what is essentially a monster. I don’t feel too bad when things happen.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poor villagers are hardly choosing to hang out
but your compassion is noted
you sound like a jerk

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spot on! Many of these animals would be extinct in certain places if not for trophy hunting. This current crop of liberal peta loving snowflakes can't seem to wrap there mind around it.
On another note, you have a hookup on a nice Oosik?

I’m looking for narwahl. Haha

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poor villagers are hardly choosing to hang out
but your compassion is noted
you sound like a jerk

Reading comprehension is apparently lost on you........two tourists and a hunter.

Also, I wolunteer 3-6 weeks a year on that continent. Unprovoked attacks into a villiage is fairly rare.

And, most of the money from trophy hunts never makes it to those villiages or to the wildlife conservation efforts. The concept is awesome and hunters come with good intentions, but corruption and many other things keep most of the money out of their hands.

Last edited:

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading comprehension is apparently lost on you........two tourists and a hunter.

Also, I wolunteer 3-6 weeks a year on that continent. Unprovoked attacks into a villiage is fairly rare.

And, most of the money from trophy hunts never makes it to those villiages or to the wildlife conservation efforts. The concept is awesome and hunters come with good intentions, but corruption and many other things keep most of the money out of their hands.

Trophy hunts? Money? Keep digging!