Which is the best shaft cleaner?

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damp cloth (water) is all I ever use to clean my shafts, as this was the instructions from the cue maker.
I understand this may not be the info you are looking for, but that is how a HOF maker tells all his customers to clean his shafts, and it has served me well for years.

You can do a search in the ask the maker thread, it has been discussed at length, many times.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Normal play just a lightly damp rag, then clean rag to dry, seal/burnish with piece of smooth, undyed leather. Real dirty I clean with magic eraser & denatured alcohol, (squeezed out to barely damp. Don't over do it with the eraser, wipe with clean rag then hit it a few licks with smooth side of q whiz and or leather.

Last edited:

rtbbf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A shaft is a tool on a player keep smooth and straight....let it be black and blue

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t want to be “that guy” but there are a few excellent threads on this subject - search for “cleaning shafts”.

The best method I’ve tried is 99% rubbing alcohol and a magic eraser. Burnish with a piece of leather after. Shaft ends up looking new.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I do.

Wiping a shaft down during long playing sets is preventative maintenance. I prefer a "Flitz Premium Microfiber Polishing Cloth" for this.

When I get home I dampen the microfiber cloth with denatured alcohol and rub the shaft. After it is dry I use a piece of clean leather to smooth it. Usually some old scraps of moose hide from my wife's sewing scraps.

After that I take a silicone cloth and rub the shaft with that and end up with a slick shaft. It's the kind that is sold for wiping down the wood and metal on guns.

This works better then a micro fleece towel from the auto parts store and they work better then a paper towel.

A couple of times a year I use a Magic Eraser and denatured alcohol to deep clean the shaft.

I like the acrylic shaft sealer Pool Dawg sells. After a couple of thin coats I rub with leather when it is dry. Lasts along time and prefer it over wax.

There are many ways to clean shafts, guns and etc.

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, also, use a slightly damp magic eraser and finish with some auto carnuba wax.
Shafts are 30 years old and still look and play like new.

Roscoe

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just an FYI, you can get quantities (50, 100) of generic magic erasers on EBay for about a dime each instead of a few bucks each for the name brand. Nice to have around the kitchen, too.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec shaft cleaner conditioner...cheap from Neilsen's. A little dab on a cloth and it removes the chalk and leaves the wood feeling smooth. I'm never without it. A bottle lasts me about 3 months and I use it every day.
My shafts are white maple, not dark or blue.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use tan or grey chalk,keep the blue off the cue.

Seriously. I had a buddy who only used tan chalk. Even after playing on some crap tables and years of seedy pool bars, his shafts always looked brand new. Tan chalk works great to keep shafts looking new and clean.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If necessary, lightly damp paper towel. Then, rub with a dry cloth, like old t shirt material. This assumes the cuemaker put a sanding sealer on it in the first place, and you have not sanded it.

Most of all though, build up your natural hand oils on the shaft, which seals it and smooths it over time.

Do your best to avoid voodoo like Magic Eraser and crap like that. They're not made for wood. Your hands are best for wood.

All the best,
WW

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
What do you use and why?Thanks.

Why do you ask....

Is the shaft new? Are you trying to make it look new since its' old? Is it real dirty or do you need to clean it often during play? Does it hang up on your bridge skin as you swing the cue? Spill a drink on it :thumbup:

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If necessary, lightly damp paper towel. Then, rub with a dry cloth, like old t shirt material. This assumes the cuemaker put a sanding sealer on it in the first place, and you have not sanded it.

Most of all though, build up your natural hand oils on the shaft, which seals it and smooths it over time.

Do your best to avoid voodoo like Magic Eraser and crap like that. They're not made for wood. Your hands are best for wood.

All the best,
WW

^^^THIS^^^^
Saved me the trouble of typing :)