New glossary of pool and billiards terms and phrases, including gambling stuff

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just expanded and reformatted my online glossary of pool and billiards terms and phrases to make it more accessible and easier to use on all devices. Previously, the glossary was in a large PDF file. Now it is a standard web document (HTML). I've also highlighted all gambling terms and phrases in green so they are easier to browse for. Please let me know if you think of any important terms or phrases (gambling related or otherwise) that are missing.

Here's the URL for future reference:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/glossary.html

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A 'head- knocker" is a bank that results in a double kiss.
I haven’t heard that one before. Thanks for the suggestion. Have other users heard this before? I like to verify terms with other people or sources before I add them to the page.

Thanks again,
Dave

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll take the 6 and out and the bus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I've heard the term "freeze out" game as a gambling term. It's been so long I don't remember the meaning, maybe some others can help with that.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard a British player call the solids in 8 ball the "spots," which also appears on Wikipedia.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6 Pack TR= means the guy ran a 6 pack and nobody noticed he's a Trick Racker.

Before he learned Trick Racking, his best record was a 2 pack.

He's a 9 when it comes to T.T.T.C.

T.T.T.C. is temper tantrum throwing chalk. Reserved for players with massive egos.

BDC is a Brain Dead Commentator on a pool stream or video.

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard a British player call the solids in 8 ball the "spots," which also appears on Wikipedia.

Pretty standard. Although English pool is now usually played with red and yellow balls, the Brits (and the Irish) are wired into using the terms spots and stripes when describing a game with numbered balls. My experience is that serious British pool players use the terms "spots" and "solids" interchangeably and will in fact default to solids most of the time if they have been around a bit. Some though, including some seriously good players who play at a very high level, can't get the word "spots" out of their system even when the crowd they are in have never used the word in that context.

Another one is "kick". A kick in snooker means, more or less, a bad contact between balls. It can mean the same to many British pool players. I've heard many a Brit describe a kick in pool as a double, a cushion first double or even a rail first double (or substitute bank for double in any of those).

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard this term to describe a handicap for specifically a one pocket game and I'm not really sure what the exact handicap is or even if I'm getting it right but it was along the lines of 2and a stick or maybe
2and a pick? Anyone help out sthat one

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A 'head-knocker" is a bank that results in a double kiss.

I haven’t heard that one before. Thanks for the suggestion. Have other users heard this before? I like to verify terms with other people or sources before I add them to the page.
Third party verification on a black balled post? Come on man, dude is on the money.
Thanks. I've added it.

Are you suggesting I add "on the money" also.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great resource for all civilians :thumbup:
Thanks. I had the following on the list already, but it wasn't highlighted in green (... now it is):

civilian: non gambler or non hustler.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've heard the term "freeze out" game as a gambling term. It's been so long I don't remember the meaning, maybe some others can help with that.
The following is already on the list:

freeze up: agree to a set amount of money a gambling match will be played to, not quitting until the "frozen up" amount has been won.

Is "freeze out" different?

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
6 Pack TR= means the guy ran a 6 pack and nobody noticed he's a Trick Racker.

Before he learned Trick Racking, his best record was a 2 pack.

He's a 9 when it comes to T.T.T.C.

T.T.T.C. is temper tantrum throwing chalk. Reserved for players with massive egos.

BDC is a Brain Dead Commentator on a pool stream or video.
Thanks. I've added TR, TTTC, and BDC.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pretty standard. Although English pool is now usually played with red and yellow balls, the Brits (and the Irish) are wired into using the terms spots and stripes when describing a game with numbered balls. My experience is that serious British pool players use the terms "spots" and "solids" interchangeably and will in fact default to solids most of the time if they have been around a bit. Some though, including some seriously good players who play at a very high level, can't get the word "spots" out of their system even when the crowd they are in have never used the word in that context.
Thanks.

Another one is "kick". A kick in snooker means, more or less, a bad contact between balls. It can mean the same to many British pool players. I've heard many a Brit describe a kick in pool as a double, a cushion first double or even a rail first double (or substitute bank for double in any of those).
Thanks. FYI, the following were already on the list:

double: snooker or British term for a kick or bank shot.

kick: cue ball rebound off a cushion. It is also a snooker or British term used to describe "cling" or "skid," and sometimes CB hop.

Regards,
Dave