Matchroom -- PLEASE Use Jeremy Jones for Commentary Next Year.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There will always be a "who's the best" commentator in pool. It's been this way ever since I can remember.

First off, everybody, of course, has their favorite. I happen to like Jerry Forsyth. I love his wit and his Georgia accent. Just turns me on, I guess. :p

Jay Helfert has a smooth voice, perfect for commentating, and there's no question that he has pool wisdom, with his juicy pool nuggets sprinkled in between shots. He knows when the shut up and knows when to speak, but he does have that golden voice that's perfect for broadcast.

I also like Jim Wych. The intonations in his voice when he gets excited gets me excited, and this man does his homework. He finds out what's going on behind scenes before he steps in the booth and then shares a little pool smut with the audience. I love pool smut. :D

I do not know much about Jeremy Jones because, truth be told, I do not listen to many pool live streams. If I'm not working, which is on a computer, I don't want to be on a computer watching pool. Heck, like most of us, I'd rather see it up front and close. And when I'm done with work, I want to be doing something else besides sitting in front of my computer.

Commentating is not easy, but I think the Americans have some of the best in the business.

We should enjoy these FREE live streams with the expert commentating. I'm digging it. I might not agree with some of the commentators' views, but that's okay. At least it gets me to thinking about different subject matters at hand. That's what a good commentator is suppose to do. ;)

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't speak for anyone else but when you are so far behind, like USA was, it's time to get serious and put some points on the board. Save the celebrating for when you win a match and even then it should be low key until they get back into it.

Agree 100%. When you are so far behind it is tough to come back but you should always believe you can. Chip away at the lead, dig in, show heart and ramp up the celebrations bit by bit as the lead narrows - and get inside your opponents' heads.

Totally different in a match where you play out all the games even if one team has won - then you celebrate gloriously every consolation win and get drunk with players from both teams. But this wasn't that kind of match - you dig in and use that pent up energy on the table rather than unleashing it. There appears to be some problem within the team - Hatch for one clearly didn't respect his captain.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I can't speak for anyone else but when you are so far behind, like USA was, it's time to get serious and put some points on the board. Save the celebrating for when you win a match and even then it should be low key until they get back into it. Winning one game means little if you don't win the match. It's like celebrating a touchdown when you are forty points behind. In a way it even plays into motivating the other team a little bit more.

As for Europe they have every reason to celebrate as they close in on another victory. They use the celebrating to stay pumped up and keep their momentum going.

This is an area where my coaching style might differ from Johann's. I've worked with many good players over the years and there is a time to celebrate and a time to keep your head down and your belly on the table. Losing and being way behind is no fun! I'd have lit a fire under their asses after Day One! (Or maybe better on the day they got picked!)

One other thing. As a commentator I will call it the way I see it, good or bad, no matter who you are or what country you're from. But outside that booth I probably care more than anyone on here about how Team USA is faring. It was heart wrenching watching Shane fail to get out over and over again. I'm still a little in shock over what I saw.

I come from a generation when the US players were dominant. Sigel, Varner, Rempe, Davenport, Archer and Earl ruled the roost. Several of them are here this week and they can't believe what they are seeing. The last seven years have created some kind of psychological trauma that we can't seem to overcome. I don't have the answer, but high fives, rah rahs and comforting words aren't working.

I hope I didn't hurt anyone's sensibilities with my remarks, but in case I did, so be it.

Europe was NOT winning on the first match on the first day, right? You guys said nothing about it. But, now the USA is doing the same thing, trying to bring life into their dead game and yet another criticism. I agree nobody should be celebrating a single game, but if one side does it they are team aware, and building confidence, and playing with passion, and the other side does it and they should stop.

YOu can be down 8-2 in a baseball game and if you hit a home run for the losing team in the 8th inning, you're still gonna get high fives and some celebration.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Europe was NOT winning on the first match on the first day, right? You guys said nothing about it. But, now the USA is doing the same thing, trying to bring life into their dead game and yet another criticism. I agree nobody should be celebrating a single game, but if one side does it they are team aware, and building confidence, and playing with passion, and the other side does it and they should stop.

YOu can be down 8-2 in a baseball game and if you hit a home run for the losing team in the 8th inning, you're still gonna get high fives and some celebration.

No, you dig in.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I started this thread I just wanted to make it clear that I like Jay Helfert in the booth too. He really does understand the game. My frustration is with Jerry. While he has a great voice for commentary he just gets so many calls wrong that he should give up the prediction business and attempt to color the matches with something else. Talk about their nerves, their background, the stage. Anything but what they are about to do because he just doesn't understand high level play. That may sound harsh but it's true.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
I don't know if Jeremy is the right man to take over, but one thing is certain: all of this year's MC commentators need to go, once and for all! Dinosaurs!!!

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I started this thread I just wanted to make it clear that I like Jay Helfert in the booth too. He really does understand the game. My frustration is with Jerry. While he has a great voice for commentary he just gets so many calls wrong that he should give up the prediction business and attempt to color the matches with something else. Talk about their nerves, their background, the stage. Anything but what they are about to do because he just doesn't understand high level play. That may sound harsh but it's true.

He's not there for you. You know what's going to happen. He's there for the others. That's his job, his role, his raisin d'etre. Mute the sound and run your own commentary if you like. Leave commentating on sport to those who are good at it and know how to play an audience.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Swighey,

I'm not here for you. You know what's going to be written. I'm here for the others. That's my roll, my raisin d'etre. Don't bother reading my comments or start your own thread if you like. Leave conversing on a Pool forum to those who are good at it and know what they are talking about.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, no fight intended. Just saying that the commentary is not for you or for me or for anyone else who knows a lot or a bit about pool. It's for those who think they do but dont. That's why the commentary includes the element of surprise. The other reason is that its impossible to predict whether a good player will play the "optimal" shot or a less optimal one that he feels more comfortable with. And the better a player is, the more choice he has.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I like Jerry's commentary. Jay is hit or miss in my opinion. No offense Jay. Wych comes up with some funny things here and there.

Need to get Cornerman (Fred) and JJ in the booth. Fred has a good knowledge of the game and knows a ton about the history of it... plus he can teach everyone the correct way to pronounce everyone's name. :)D)

JJ's commentary is always on point with shot selection... especially when commentating a one pocket match. I remember watching a TAR match a while ago and he was in the booth... he predicted damn name everyone shot before they even got down on the ball. Super knowledgeable about the game and it would be great to get a well spoken champion in the booth.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
There will always be a "who's the best" commentator in pool. It's been this way ever since I can remember.

First off, everybody, of course, has their favorite. I happen to like Jerry Forsyth. I love his wit and his Georgia accent. Just turns me on, I guess. :p

Jay Helfert has a smooth voice, perfect for commentating, and there's no question that he has pool wisdom, with his juicy pool nuggets sprinkled in between shots. He knows when the shut up and knows when to speak, but he does have that golden voice that's perfect for broadcast.

I also like Jim Wych. The intonations in his voice when he gets excited gets me excited, and this man does his homework. He finds out what's going on behind scenes before he steps in the booth and then shares a little pool smut with the audience. I love pool smut. :D

I do not know much about Jeremy Jones because, truth be told, I do not listen to many pool live streams. If I'm not working, which is on a computer, I don't want to be on a computer watching pool. Heck, like most of us, I'd rather see it up front and close. And when I'm done with work, I want to be doing something else besides sitting in front of my computer.

Commentating is not easy, but I think the Americans have some of the best in the business.

We should enjoy these FREE live streams with the expert commentating. I'm digging it. I might not agree with some of the commentators' views, but that's okay. At least it gets me to thinking about different subject matters at hand. That's what a good commentator is suppose to do. ;)
JAM. You gotta get those streams playing on your TV.:D
Heck with watching on a computer screen.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Celebrations are part and parcel of the Mosconi Cup. This year is no different in that respect. I've seen far more over the top stuff in past years, both good and bad. Darren was far more demonstrative than Filler. And Earl was borderline crazy more than once.

My only point was I'm not sure I would be celebrating when we are still so far behind. Again, this is just my opinion and you may see it differently. I won't fault the guys for this though. Yesterday they were trying to get themselves pumped up and it almost worked. I know 9-5 today would look a lot better than 10-4.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know if Jeremy is the right man to take over, but one thing is certain: all of this year's MC commentators need to go, once and for all! Dinosaurs!!!

Someone explained to me yesterday what an internet troll is. He is someone who only has negative things to say. Welcome to that club. You should be proud to be a member.

snucar

World Snucar Champion
Silver Member
Someone explained to me yesterday what an internet troll is. He is someone who only has negative things to say. Welcome to that club. You should be proud to be a member.

Excellent, now have someone explain to you how a professional commentator should sound like on live television. Let's have commentators who don’t sniffle or heavy breathing directly into the mic and most importantly get the shots right, for a change. Space to younger and more knowledgeable people!

july9x

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agreed, pairing a pro player in the booth with a true commentator is a good way to go.

Go to Youtube and watch World Cup of Pool or World Pool Master this year, you can clearly see and hear how much better the match was to enjoy when Alex Lely and a true commentator are commenting, he knows the game, he can explain why the player does this and does that, he knows the players, he talks and tells stories about them. A true commentator is there to please the majority of the audiences, and a pro player is needed to take it to the next level with his insight.

I dont see any benefit to have 2 none-pro player commentators at all, I'm sorry!

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't the Hall of Fame Banquet taking place at the same time? Just grab Hopkins, Sigel, Rempe or Varner who are ALL excellent commentators.

Bugz

Glutton for Punishment
Silver Member
Jay you gained a great deal of respect from me on day 3. How you didnt have a knee jerk reaction when shane missed that 8, took a great deal of composure. I have no doubt in my mind, if im in that spot I instinctively say "you gotta be ****ing kidding me" Thats no knock on any one, just a super unexpected miss.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay you gained a great deal of respect from me on day 3. How you didnt have a knee jerk reaction when shane missed that 8, took a great deal of composure. I have no doubt in my mind, if im in that spot I instinctively say "you gotta be ****ing kidding me" Thats no knock on any one, just a super unexpected miss.

Prior to the shot, I said that it wasn't that easy, that he had to pound that ball to get down table for the nine. He pounded it all right, right into the cushion. The super tight pockets were not receptive to hitting the ball that hard unless you hit them dead center. There was no room to cheat the pocket. Shane should have realized that by Day Three.

That's what happened on the five ball earlier in the same game where I said something similar that Shane needed to be careful drawing the ball hard and cheating the pocket. I guess nobody on here heard that. They're too busy looking for something to complain about. :rolleyes:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Excellent, now have someone explain to you how a professional commentator should sound like on live television. Let's have commentators who don’t sniffle or heavy breathing directly into the mic and most importantly get the shots right, for a change. Space to younger and more knowledgeable people!

Congrats, you win the troll gold star! I did find a tissue to wipe my nose after that first set on Day One, but thanks for reminding me. I would estimate that I called the correct shot about 90% of the time. NO ONE gets them all right, except maybe you from the comfort of your easy chair.

One last thing, your opinion means less than zero to me. The opinion that counts is the people who keep asking me to work events like this. I was also the TD for over 200 major tournaments during the last thirty years and I got used to criticism while doing this job. I found out that no matter what you won't please everyone.

I'm proud of my record as a TD and commentator. Do you have anything to be proud of besides your negativity? Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself to speak badly about others. A lot of people are like that. Sound familiar?