Matchroom -- PLEASE Use Jeremy Jones for Commentary Next Year.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom please please please use Jeremy Jones commentary next year. Jay clearly understands high level play but it's just as clear that Jerry does not. Not only does Jeremy Jones play at a high level but he also knows the game inside and out. He also has a great southern style voice that's perfect for commentary. Jim Wych and Jeremy Jones would be a perfect pairing.

Please make this happen next year.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Next year?

There might not be a next year.

Matchroom must be tired of the inevitable by now, but maybe it sells a lot of advertising space in England, since fans there get to watch the US get owned, year after year

corpse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree on Jeremy Jones! Matchroom has already announced the dates for next year. Don't think they are ending it anytime soon, although a closer competition would certainly help

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree

I totally agree. JJ and Dr. Bill...These guys are horrible. I actually had to turn off the sound yesterday. Jay even tried to do better with his bias but it still constantly crept in and was obvious he was trying to say something nice....lol Must have been painful eh Jay? Constantly saying the US is poor at safety play when the Euros are obviously getting better rolls off theirs and easier safeties to begin with. If you don't believe me read Justin Bergmans thoughts on this Jay... When a Euro guy shoots a obvious, easy safety, Jay is like... thats a great shot and why the Euros are so much better at safeties...lol

I mean how could they not know what a carbon fiber shaft is. Trying to guess if it was some kind of ash...lol These guys must have been hiding in their basements the last few years. The funny thing is they didn't say a word about the black break cues half the players were using, just Fillers player. I wonder if they even know those black break cues are not wood...lol If these guys are so out of touch with pool why are they even in the booth.

Bugz

Glutton for Punishment
Silver Member
I think it should be Dilberto and Jay. That will really drive the ratings up.....

Favorite moment:

Van Den Berg kicking full table one rail at an object ball a diamond up and frozen on rail.

Announcer: "Nick is 50/50 from here"

Me : "wtf did he just say!?!?!?" "Hey Dilberto Jr., take it easy"

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it should be Dilberto and Jay. That will really drive the ratings up.....

Favorite moment:

Van Den Berg kicking full table one rail at an object ball a diamond up and frozen on rail.

Announcer: "Nick is 50/50 from here"

Me : "wtf did he just say!?!?!?" "Hey Dilberto Jr., take it easy"

You are showing your lack of knowledge here. First of all the object ball was slightly off the rail, making it a bigger ball to kick at. For a top level player this is a fairly routine one rail kick shot. He is more like 80-20 (maybe closer to 90-10) to make a good hit. And many times he will make the ball. It's not nearly the hard shot you think it is. Notice he didn't take long to study it (no extension) before shooting.

Thanks for the kind words anyway. I like being compared to Danny D. anytime!

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I think Jay's commentary is just fine, despite the inevitable mistakes that all commentators make. I think that US fans are sore their team is getting beaten badly and just need a scape goat.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, I think Jay's commentary is just fine, despite the inevitable mistakes that all commentators make. I think that US fans are sore their team is getting beaten badly and just need a scape goat.

Good point. Commentators are convenient scapegoats.
Jay does a good job better than plenty of commentators out there. Besides technical commentary, his knowledge of players globally and the industry is one of best.
It is nonsense to expect commentators to be expert on some dark cue that some player is using. It is the Indian not the arrow. I almost never hear soccer or tennis commentators talk about equipment players are using - many soccer or tennis pundits know little about equipment which is no big deal. I am sure Matchroom did not give their commentators Cue knowledge test before hiring.
As a pool viewer, I am least interested in type of cue that player is using. He can use a wizard broom for all I care :grin:

Bugz

Glutton for Punishment
Silver Member
You are showing your lack of knowledge here. First of all the object ball was slightly off the rail, making it a bigger ball to kick at. For a top level player this is a fairly routine one rail kick shot. He is more like 80-20 (maybe closer to 90-10) to make a good hit. And many times he will make the ball. It's not nearly the hard shot you think it is. Notice he didn't take long to study it (no extension) before shooting.

Thanks for the kind words anyway. I like being compared to Danny D. anytime!

To hit it, I agree. You implied to make it and your tone was as if they should just rake the balls and concede the game. Mention my knowledge all you like, he is not 50/50 to make the ball on day one, on the TV table at the Mosconi Cup, with 4.25" pockets.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I have no complaints for the commentary. The only thing that stuck out was their critique of USA for celebrating after each game, and the announcers saying they have not won the match and should hold off?

Did they mention that even one time when the Euro's did that exact same thing, even one time? I might have missed, but I'm glued pretty tight to the screen for 3 days now.

Just struck me as very odd?

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is nonsense to expect commentators to be expert on some dark cue that some player is using.

Are you effing KIDDING?
Of course they knew exactly what the shaft is. They just aren't supposed to mention the word "Predator" on the air, and they panicked when forced to say something about it. All they had to say was that it's a carbon fiber shaft and leave it at that

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion JJ is the best commentator in the business.

He is such a high level player and his ability to convey all that pool knowledge and expertise into words is amazing.

Attachments

• 21231755_10156562751390898_4734617009254604103_n.jpg
    21231755_10156562751390898_4734617009254604103_n.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 348

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How about JJ and Earl as a commentating team?
They are both champions
They both speak well in the booth
They both look good in ear muffs

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no complaints for the commentary. The only thing that stuck out was their critique of USA for celebrating after each game, and the announcers saying they have not won the match and should hold off?

Did they mention that even one time when the Euro's did that exact same thing, even one time? I might have missed, but I'm glued pretty tight to the screen for 3 days now.

Just struck me as very odd?

I can't speak for anyone else but when you are so far behind, like USA was, it's time to get serious and put some points on the board. Save the celebrating for when you win a match and even then it should be low key until they get back into it. Winning one game means little if you don't win the match. It's like celebrating a touchdown when you are forty points behind. In a way it even plays into motivating the other team a little bit more.

As for Europe they have every reason to celebrate as they close in on another victory. They use the celebrating to stay pumped up and keep their momentum going.

This is an area where my coaching style might differ from Johann's. I've worked with many good players over the years and there is a time to celebrate and a time to keep your head down and your belly on the table. Losing and being way behind is no fun! I'd have lit a fire under their asses after Day One! (Or maybe better on the day they got picked!)

One other thing. As a commentator I will call it the way I see it, good or bad, no matter who you are or what country you're from. But outside that booth I probably care more than anyone on here about how Team USA is faring. It was heart wrenching watching Shane fail to get out over and over again. I'm still a little in shock over what I saw.

I come from a generation when the US players were dominant. Sigel, Varner, Rempe, Davenport, Archer and Earl ruled the roost. Several of them are here this week and they can't believe what they are seeing. The last seven years have created some kind of psychological trauma that we can't seem to overcome. I don't have the answer, but high fives, rah rahs and comforting words aren't working.

I hope I didn't hurt anyone's sensibilities with my remarks, but in case I did, so be it.

Last edited: