When is a pool pocket too tight?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Cobra, between a 7’ table vs a 9’ table, both diamonds with pro cut pockets. Which would players make more balls on shooting exclusively 14.1 for 100 innings on both tables?

Now you're switching up and making the pockets the same...LOL the 7ft is easier to make long shots on but is terrible for clusters. It's also horrible to play 14.1 on a 7ft because of that very reason.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Now you're switching up and making the pockets the same...LOL the 7ft is easier to make long shots on but is terrible for clusters. It's also horrible to play 14.1 on a 7ft because of that very reason.

Definitely
I'd never even attempt to play 14.1 on a 7fter

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Mosconi ran 526 on an 8 foot table.
200+ on a 10 ft table.

10 more pages of arguing coming right up.

Dallas West, straight pool, 429 balls (according to Mark Wilson, Dallas West had three runs of 400 or more balls on 5x10 tables)

Look it up!!!!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Dallas West, straight pool, 429 balls (according to Mark Wilson, Dallas West had three runs of 400 or more balls on 5x10 tables)

Look it up!!!!

Why would I look it up?
It's still not 526.
Should we look up some 600-ball claim on 9-footer too.

Should we look up the 14 to 17 racks of 9-ball on bar boxes too?

Hey, maybe 20 pages more arguing coming right up.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Why would I look it up?
It's still not 526.

Are you trying to pick a fight with me Joey??

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Why would I look it up?
It's still not 526.

High Runs For The Men
600 Plus
PLAYER HIGH RUN

Arthur Babe Cranfield 768 in practice
Tom Parker 642 as told to Dick Leonard
Michael Eufemia 626
No one saw the run from beginning to end, except for Eufemia himself. According to Billiards Digest historian Mike Shamos, this is one of the reasons his record has never been granted official status!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cobra, between a 7’ table vs a 9’ table, both diamonds with pro cut pockets. Which would players make more balls on shooting exclusively 14.1 for 100 innings on both tables?
My personal experience of practicing on 14.1 on a 7-foot table vs a 9-foot table, same size pockets, is that because I'm used to playing 14.1 on a 9-foot table, having more room to work with for my CB positioning zones and runout patterns, it's much easier for me to run 2-3 racks on the 9-footer than on the 7-footer.

Especially on a fast table playing 7-footer (Diamond Smart w Andy cloth), if you miss your desired position just by an inch or two, it may change your entire angle for getting on the next shot or may possibly even hook you from even seeing that shot. You are working in such tight quarters for your position, that I find it quite tricky. I guess if I did it more, I'd get used to it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes I switched it up. What is your opinion for this specific question. You didn’t answer it.

7’ vs 9’ table. Pocket size and everything else the same. Game is 14.1 exclusively. Which table will have a higher number of points made, in the same inning attempts? Enough attempts to make it statistically valid.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Yes I switched it up. What is your opinion for this specific question. You didn’t answer it.

7’ vs 9’ table. Pocket size and everything else the same. Game is 14.1 exclusively. Which table will have a higher number of points made, in the same inning attempts? Enough attempts to make it statistically valid.

Are you not reading what others have posted? The 9ft is easier, and therefore more balls made at the end of 100 innings.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you not reading what others have posted? The 9ft is easier, and therefore more balls made at the end of 100 innings.
Most of you here could care less, but just for the heck of it, since our poolroom has a 7', 9', and 10' table, all with 4-1/2" corners, when I get a chance sometime within the next week, I'm going to conduct a very unscientific experiment, and I'll try to get a few of our better players to participate as well: We'll shoot 20 spot shots on each table - 10 from each side. I will post back the results of the total number of spot shots made on each different size table, for the various players that participate.

I'm just guessing for myself, I'll make 80%-90% on the 7' table, 60%-70% on the 9' table, and likely less than 50% on the 10' table. As I don't play ring games, I absolutely never practice or shoot spot shots anymore, so it's not like it's a shot I ever practice.

Don't know if it will make a difference if we start on the 7' table and work our way up, or start on the 10' and work our way down, so I may try it twice, once each way, to see if there is any difference. Like I said, extremely unscientific, but I'm just curious of the results.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I only read the first and last page or two of the thread, sorry. Ha ha.

I would empty out on this bet. Seriously.

I’d even pay up by saying diamond rails bounce better than GC rails:):):) That’s how confident I am that 14-1 is easier on a 7’ table compared to a 9’ table, all other conditions being equal.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I’d even pay up by saying diamond rails bounce better than GC rails:):):) That’s how confident I am that 14-1 is easier on a 7’ table compared to a 9’ table, all other conditions being equal.

its ok, RKC wouldn't bet. he just accepts charity hand outs,
feel free to donate to the old man
lol

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Haven't read the thread but it's pretty obvious, anything less than 2 1/4" w standard balls won't work.

No need to thank me :thumbup:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Go ahead, find out...LOL

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Most of you here could care less, but just for the heck of it, since our poolroom has a 7', 9', and 10' table, all with 4-1/2" corners, when I get a chance sometime within the next week, I'm going to conduct a very unscientific experiment, and I'll try to get a few of our better players to participate as well: We'll shoot 20 spot shots on each table - 10 from each side. I will post back the results of the total number of spot shots made on each different size table, for the various players that participate.

I'm just guessing for myself, I'll make 80%-90% on the 7' table, 60%-70% on the 9' table, and likely less than 50% on the 10' table. As I don't play ring games, I absolutely never practice or shoot spot shots anymore, so it's not like it's a shot I ever practice.

Don't know if it will make a difference if we start on the 7' table and work our way up, or start on the 10' and work our way down, so I may try it twice, once each way, to see if there is any difference. Like I said, extremely unscientific, but I'm just curious of the results.
That's not a good test, as the distance between the cue ball and object balls are not a position shot, but rather a single test shot, so yes the 7' will be easier, then the 8' then the 9ft. What's that shot got to do with trying to play 14.1 on a 7ft, or a 9ft, or a 10ft?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not a good test, as the distance between the cue ball and object balls are not a position shot, but rather a single test shot, so yes the 7' will be easier, then the 8' then the 9ft. What's that shot got to do with trying to play 14.1 on a 7ft, or a 9ft, or a 10ft?
My point is that the average (mean) shot on a 10' table is from a longer distance than on a 9' table and so on, down to a 7' table. Of course a spot shot is longer, just like every other comparable shot from every part of the table is a longer shot on a bigger table.

Obviously we will never agree on this. Just thought the experiment on spot shots on all 3 tables different sized tables in to the same size pockets would be interesting.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
My point is that the average (mean) shot on a 10' table is from a longer distance than on a 9' table and so on, down to a 7' table. Of course a spot shot is longer, just like every other comparable shot from every part of the table is a longer shot on a bigger table.

Obviously we will never agree on this. Just thought the experiment on spot shots on all 3 tables different sized tables in to the same size pockets would be interesting.

The distance between the cue ball and object ball is subject to the players ability to control the cue ball for position play, want to test my statement? Shoot the spot shots on all 3 size tables, but keep the cue ball with in 4' of the ball spotted, let the longer playing surface be between the object ball and the corner pocket....then, lets see what you find out!!!