$4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll be curious to hear what others think about this. How much do you and others think is enough to attract top players?

Again, as long as the table is 9’, I don’t think pocket toughness is much of a factor with a Exam I, but I’m curious to here what others think about this too. Regardless, people can use whatever table they want; so if a table is too tight, do the challenge on a different table.

Thanks for the input and feedback from you and others,
Dave

I have no idea what the right $ amount would be. Those that want to do this will probably do it. IMO it will appeal to those with a personal table where they can semi-permanently setup some video equipment and whale away at the setups with few distractions. Those that play in commercial rooms maybe not so much.

Good luck with your project.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Free money and a free drill for anyone that wants to practice a terrific drill that replicates the shots one will need in actual competition. What else should it be about?

Not as easy as it looks on paper. But no worries Lou, not much chance you're taking down the cheese on this free roll ;)

I was responding to those that were emphasizing the money.

And no, I choose not to participate. Cheese (free or otherwise) does not motivate me to do stuff I’m not interested in, but that’s just me.

Lou Figueroa
goferit

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not the case with Exam II, especially the Doctorate version, but I agree 100% concerning Exam I. For those not familiar with the exams, all of the documents are here:

Billiard University (BU) Playing-Ability Exams

I agree 100%. The wagon wheel draw shots require precision with aim, tip position, and stroke speed. With a slight pocket cheat, or slightly too much or too little draw, or slightly too much or too little speed, it is easy to miss any (or many) of the 10 shots required at balls 6 through 10.

I consider draw my best shot and I also have trouble getting a high score on the draw drill. I know I am capable of getting a 10, but I usually average about 6. In my recent posted video, I got two bonus points early (drawing to the target area from position 7), and then I missed the last 3 shots from 7, 6, and 5 to finish with a 6 (4 + 2). :frown:

I agree. The shots demand excellent fundamentals for accuracy and consistency. Also, with the camera on, I find that I really focus. The practice really sharpens my game, and the motivation provided by the scoring and challenge helps me want to sharpen even more.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you plan to give the challenge a try?

Regards,
Dave

Of course RJ is going to participate!

Lou Figueroa
free cheese
and all that :)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Very nice and in principle I like what you're trying to do.

But what some players have available are very tight, very finicky, 9' Diamonds, or even GCs set up to very tight specs. Given that type of equipment, why would someone try and compete against another player shooting on a table with far more forgiving pockets. As you would know, how much wiggle room you have on the pockets makes difference, not only pocketing the balls, but playing position.

I don't think it can ever be a fair, universal test.

Lou Figueroa

You're not gonna win anyway, quit crying
Jason

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Billiard University (BU) just announced an Exam challenge with money prizes.
Here it is: $4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge.

You just need to post a video of yourself taking BU Exam I (Fundamentals Exam). There is no cost to enter. We are paying out $4000 to the top three scores (including a $500 bonus available for a perfect score of 100).

I hope some AZB'ers win some of the money. I just posted a video with a score of 82 to give you guys something to beat. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, and I really hope somebody (maybe a pro) can post a perfect score of 100. Hopefully, the $2500 top prize is high enough to attract some top players, given that no travel or other expenses are required.

The BU Exams are excellent practice and I always feel my game elevate a little when I dedicate focused practice time to the Exams.

Good luck and have fun,
Dave
Anybody in AZB-land plan to enter? If so, how high of a score do you hope to achieve?

I look forward to seeing more videos,
Dave

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And no, I choose not to participate. Cheese (free or otherwise) does not motivate me to do stuff I’m not interested in, but that’s just me.

Lou Figueroa
goferit

Me saying it's a freeroll isn't about the money. It's about the fact that it costs absolutely nothing to enter, and yet here you are, looking for something to complain about.

Your very first post in this thread would hold a lot of merit if Dr. Dave was collecting entry fees for the challenge.

But he's not. Hence, "freeroll"

A little common sense goes a long way, Lou.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
goferit

Yes, takes great motivation to shoot a few pool balls into pockets. Hey, look, there are a couple kids on your lawn. Go get'em Lou ;) lol

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Billiard University (BU) just announced an Exam challenge with money prizes.
Here it is: $4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge.

You just need to post a video of yourself taking BU Exam I (Fundamentals Exam). There is no cost to enter. We are paying out $4000 to the top three scores (including a $500 bonus available for a perfect score of 100).

I hope some AZB'ers win some of the money. I just posted a video with a score of 82 to give you guys something to beat. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, and I really hope somebody (maybe a pro) can post a perfect score of 100. Hopefully, the $2500 top prize is high enough to attract some top players, given that no travel or other expenses are required.

The BU Exams are excellent practice and I always feel my game elevate a little when I dedicate focused practice time to the Exams.

Good luck and have fun,
Dave
FYI, I just posted a new video with a score of 87 to give you guys something even better to beat. I hope to reach 90 before the end of the contest, but it will take a lot of work for me. Here's the new video:

Dr. Dave - BU Exam I - 87 - 3/26/2018

This is a new Exam I PR for me (although, I was still a little disappointed after giving away quite a few easy points).

Let's see some videos from others. The BU Exams are excellent practice, and I am confident the practice will help your game ... it certainly helps my game every time I get motivated to work on the Exams.

Good luck,
Dave

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, takes great motivation to shoot a few pool balls into pockets. Hey, look, there are a couple kids on your lawn. Go get'em Lou ;) lol

I am motivated to shoot balls into pockets, usually when I'm playing 1pocket :)

I do not have a lawn.

I did not see your name on the list of folks who were "motivated" enough to take the last exam.

I look forward to seeing your video/score.

I wish Dr. Dave every success with his project.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jin has been practicing some of the drills and such. Just has a hard time reaching many of the shots lol. With a little more time/growth, he will be there though.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video with a score of 87 to give you guys something even better to beat. I hope to reach 90 before the end of the contest, but it will take a lot of work for me. Here's the new video:

Dr. Dave - BU Exam I - 87 - 3/26/2018

This is a new Exam I PR for me (although, I was still a little disappointed after giving away quite a few easy points).

Let's see some videos from others. The BU Exams are excellent practice, and I am confident the practice will help your game ... it certainly helps my game every time I get motivated to work on the Exams.

Good luck,
Dave

Any objective person can see that your game has improved over the years.

While drills aren't a requirement for those with a little more "natural" talent, I think you're proof that they can help you improve.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jin has been practicing some of the drills and such. Just has a hard time reaching many of the shots lol. With a little more time/growth, he will be there though.
Samm told me about Jin. I hope he enjoys the challenge of the Exams, even if he is still a little too small to reach everything. I told Samm I will print a BU diploma for him after he improves some, but don’t tell him ... I think Samm wants it to be a surprise.

You have a very cute kid. He has very impressive pool skills for his age. It will be interesting to see how his game develops over time.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any objective person can see that your game has improved over the years.
Thank you for noticing.

While drills aren't a requirement for those with a little more "natural" talent, I think you're proof that they can help you improve.
The BU Exams have definitely helped me focus on technique improvement, but I’ve also played a lot more in recent years. Time at the table is the only true recipe for improvement (although, the hard work on my technique has helped accelerate this improvement, IMO).

Thanks again,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I plan to try again. I’ve been wanting to give the exams another go lately anyway.

My immediate goal for exam I is 80 but I would be very happy if I could crack 90 before this thing is over. That’s going to take a lot of work on my part though if I expect to have a real chance at getting there. I’ll have to spend a lot of time working on each individual section and I don’t know yet if I’m motivated enough to do that, lol. We’ll see I guess.

It will probably be about another month before I can get into it, with my upcoming work and travel schedule, but I look forward to giving it another shot!
I’m glad to hear it, and I look forward to seeing how high you can push your score (and maybe win some money).

Like you, I really want to reach the 90 threshold, and I currently feel motivated to continue to work hard on it (because I value the benefit to my game).

Catch you later,
Dave

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I am motivated to shoot balls into pockets, usually when I'm playing 1pocket :)

I do not have a lawn.

I did not see your name on the list of folks who were "motivated" enough to take the last exam.

I look forward to seeing your video/score.

I wish Dr. Dave every success with his project.

Lou Figueroa

I take the exam all the time, it's one of my "drills. No lawn. Oh, you can chase kids out of the hallway ;)

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why Pool is not considered a sport for many and while all the more this game is dying.

Pool players will complain about anything! Oh the pockets are not tight enough, now they are to tight, no no hes playing on faster cloth, no no its his table at home, not its a commercial table so its got dead rails, humidity is to high, hey that player is using smaller pool balls, wtf? Why bash on something where someone is giving out free money.

Dont like it, stay away and don't comment. If this doesn't interest you, then why post a comment or ask a question?

If this was any other sport, you would have people lined up to post a video of them doing something to cash in on 2.5K.

I bet if we were in the Philippines and everyone had access to the information there would be lines for days of people trying to collect

Thanks for all you do Dave and best of luck contestants