$4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some thoughts on attach rate being lower than anticipated/expected:
1) video recording capabilities / lack thereof
2) no easy location (setting up at a pool hall to run the exam)
3) people start the test but realize they aren't going to score well and give up. [I think people inherently want to avoid being objectively bad at something]
4) time commitment (1/2 hour or more for each iteration of the exam)
5) general banger attitude (many/most people won't even do drills for 1/2 hour to get better)
6) holier than thou mentality

My guess is that #5 and #6 cover the majority of people. And #3 limits the remainder.

-td
Good list. I think they all apply.

Having said that, there are a lot of good players out there, with convenient access to filming locations, who have the ability to record video and upload it to YouTube. If not, they probably have friends that can help them.

Now, whether or not they have the focus, determination, and skill necessary to do well and cash in the challenge is another story.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You essentially have ball in hand position for 92% (or even more) of the shots in exam 1. IMO, you don't need to normalize the scoring.
Well stated. I agree.

Position is easier on an 8 footer (or smaller), which is why I suspect no doctorates can be earned.
Also, to earn a Doctorate of Pool, Exam II must also be taken, and results on Exam II, which includes lots of run-out drills and tough ball-pocketing drills, can vary dramatically with table size and pocket geometry.

For the current $4000 BU Exam Challenge, only Exam I is required.

We decided to exclude bar boxes and 8' home tables (or anything else less than 9') because the Exam I CB-control challenges are much easier on a smaller table.

Again, the playing field is level since everybody is required to play on a 9' or larger table, any they can chose any table they want (big pockets or not).

Regards,
Dave

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Scholars

Up in the morning and off to school, the teacher is teachin' the golden rule. American histry n practical math - study em hard and hopin to pass. I don't know the down low on the upload, all jokes aside I do see this as being a positive for pool. Guess I'm getting older now and kindly stuck in my ways. Good luck to u as well David, I could have long discussions bout what luck is.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave is that Byrne's table you have set up now?
That is correct. The table in all of my recent videos were filmed on the 9' Olhaussen in my home previously owned by the late, great Robert Byrne. I think about Bob often when I play since he had such a big influence on me (with his amazing collection of excellent instructional books and Billiards Digest articles).

Thank you for noticing and remembering,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Up in the morning and off to school, the teacher is teachin' the golden rule. American histry n practical math - study em hard and hopin to pass. I don't know the down low on the upload, all jokes aside I do see this as being a positive for pool. Guess I'm getting older now and kindly stuck in my ways. Good luck to u as well David, I could have long discussions bout what luck is.
Any money made available to players is a good thing for pool, especially if the players don't need to travel or pay expenses or entry fees to get a shot at the cash.

I hope the BU and others can sponsor more challenges like this in the future (e.g., straight pool high-run challenges, trick shot challenges, etc.).

Regards,
Dave

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But what some players have available are very tight, very finicky, 9' Diamonds, or even GCs set up to very tight specs. Given that type of equipment, why would someone try and compete against another player shooting on a table with far more forgiving pockets. As you would know, how much wiggle room you have on the pockets makes difference, not only pocketing the balls, but playing position.

They set up their table with those specs,
They get to play Dr. Dave's game with those specs.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well stated!

And if they still complain about it, they still have the option to use a different table with less tough specs.

Regards,
Dave

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I didn't set up diddly do-da, just like a lot of guys.

If you don't have a table, and play at a commercial room, you are likely to have to take into account the pocket specs, age and cleanliness of the cloth, roll offs, finicky pockets, and pool hall distractions.

Lou Figueroa

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

If you don't have a table, and play at a commercial room, you are likely to have to take into account the pocket specs, age and cleanliness of the cloth, roll offs, finicky pockets, and pool hall distractions.

Lou Figueroa

The horror of it all, what shall they do?
Jason

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you guys think the $2500 first prize is high enough to encourage some top players to give it a go, especially since no travel or other expense is required?

...snip...

No. The over-under I'd set on the number of pros trying this "of their own accord" is 1. They would rather stay in bed then set this up, even for 2500. If you made it 20k, I might put the over under at 4 pros to meet all of your qualifications for entry.

Now, if you set it up like you did with Shane, set up all the shots for him, the camera, the upload, and tell him: "just shoot the shots I tell you to", you might get a few more takers.

The proof will be in the pudding, and we will see the number of pros who try this when all is said and done.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no question that people who have a 9' table at home have a huge "home court" advantage with the $4000 BU Exam I Challenge. They can:
- put down donuts and leave them there.
- setup a camera on a tripod and leave it there.
- benefit from good conditions that come with a well-maintained home table that isn't subject to abuse by poolhall patrons.
- benefit from big pockets if the table has a typical "home" setup.
- have no distractions (especially if there are no pets or kids around).
- do the exam whenever they want and whenever they feel up for a good attempt.
- etc.

Sounds like its time to get a table at home, Lou. :grin-square:

I hope you change your mind about entering the Challenge. I am sure you could post a high score and have a chance at some of the cash.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The over-under I'd set on the number of pros trying this "of their own accord" is 1. They would rather stay in bed then set this up, even for 2500. If you made it 20k, I might put the over under at 4 pros to meet all of your qualifications for entry.

Now, if you set it up like you did with Shane, set up all the shots for him, the camera, the upload, and tell him: "just shoot the shots I tell you to", you might get a few more takers.

The proof will be in the pudding, and we will see the number of pros who try this when all is said and done.
I think you are right. There are some pros that I know will put in an effort (Tobias Bongers in Germany and Marc Vidal in Denver), and others have expressed interest (e.g., Darren Appleton), but I agree with you that typical pros won't have the patience, motivation, equipment, or know-how to enter the challenge without the help of others.

I am hoping that people out there will help some pros enter. I am certainly willing to help any pro travelling through Colorado (as I did with Shane in the past). I am also hoping Nigel Webb will help Mark Gray enter (he did this in the past), and Raul Jover might help some Japanese pros enter (he did this in the past). I've already reached out to these people and others via Facebook and e-mails.

If any AZB'ers out there know pros and can help, please do so.

Thanks,
Dave

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Oh, man, you mean they are going to be tested on a table, balls, cloth, roll offs and finicky pockets they play league or gamble on. Someone stop the presses. However will they adjust to a table they play on.....wait for it.....all of the fuggin time. :p Yeah, you know what they call that... POOL. :grin-square:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
No. The over-under I'd set on the number of pros trying this "of their own accord" is 1. They would rather stay in bed then set this up, even for 2500. If you made it 20k, I might put the over under at 4 pros to meet all of your qualifications for entry.
I'm not sure my wife would approve of me offering $20k in any future challenge unless the BU starts generating a little more profit.

Maybe I can try kickstarter and/or AZB fund-raising campaigns to help make the pot bigger for future challenges.

Catch you later,
Dave

PS: Do you plan to enter the challenge? If as few people enter as you anticipate, you might have a chance at some cash. I would also be curious to see how much higher you can score than you have in the past. I know your game has gotten better.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no question that people who have a 9' table at home have a huge "home court" advantage with the $4000 BU Exam I Challenge. They can:
- put down donuts and leave them there.
- setup a camera on a tripod and leave it there.
- benefit from good conditions that come with a well-maintained home table that isn't subject to abuse by poolhall patrons.
- benefit from big pockets if the table has a typical "home" setup.
- have no distractions (especially if there are no pets or kids around).
- do the exam whenever they want and whenever they feel up for a good attempt.
- etc.

Sounds like its time to get a table at home, Lou. :grin-square:

I hope you change your mind about entering the Challenge. I am sure you could post a high score and have a chance at some of the cash.

Regards,
Dave

I have room for a table... but it's the living room and I'm not willing to take that away from Gail. Girls like their living rooms.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, man, you mean they are going to be tested on a table, balls, cloth, roll offs and finicky pockets they play league or gamble on. Someone stop the presses. However will they adjust to a table they play on.....wait for it.....all of the fuggin time. :p Yeah, you know what they call that... POOL. :grin-square:

I don't mind all that... if the other guy is playing me on the same equipment ;-)

Lou Figueroa

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I watched a few videos on the exam - thanks for the links! I decided to take it a second time and was able to make a 73. There are still a few "free" points in there as I miscued on the draw drill (6), scratched on the follow drill missing bonus points (8) and also missed a few easy points elsewhere (stun 7, potting 7). And the last drills I was able to only muster 12 (wagon) and 13 (target). I think with a little more effort, I can shore up some deficiencies and rack up a decent/competitive score!

-td

Last edited: