Race to 5 or 5 ahead?

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Going strictly on "personal preference", would you rather, for the cheese, play a race or play however-many ahead?

I know my own preference. Was interested in how many share mine.

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
Depends on how fast you want to loose your money. I like 5 ahead because only one game in a race and you loose the cash. The better player has the odds in his favor in ahead match. And if you are slow to get going like me, you can loose the first 4 and then win 1 or 2 and still be in a lot better shape than being behind 4 to 1 in a race. I have on countless occasions got behind with the other guy on the hill and get into stroke and run 3 or 4 and then a dry break and loose because the 1 or 2 ball gets wired up with the 9.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im more of a races guy, or by the game.

The only ahead sets Ive seen played, weren't pool matches so much as they were contests to see who could put the most booger sugar up their nose. :thumbup:

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member

The only ahead sets Ive seen played, weren't pool matches so much as they were contests to see who could put the most booger sugar up their nose. :thumbup:

If someone has to do that in a 5 ahead situation, he has a problem. 5 ahead is surely slower than a race, but I have never been or seen one that lasts more than couple of hours. I am talking about 9 ball, a 5 ahead in one pocket could take up to a year to get finished.

Michael Andros

Silver Member

My overall pref is by the game... always has been But I deliberately left that out of the equation here. :grin:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
BIG difference! Race to Five and anyone can win, especially in 9-Ball. Five ahead and the best player will get there almost all the time, even in 9-Ball. In my day, we always preferred Five Ahead as a way to protect our money.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
BIG difference! Race to Five and anyone can win, especially in 9-Ball. Five ahead and the best player will get there almost all the time, even in 9-Ball. In my day, we always preferred Five Ahead as a way to protect our money.

I knew there was a reason I liked you! :grin-square:

Last edited:

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Actually, I believe it to be just the opposite. The longer it takes them to lose it, the more likely they are to play another set! :thumbup:

I can see how it’s easier to give back a game or two to keep them on the hook without risking them getting lucky and winning a race as well.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I can see how it’s easier to give back a game or two to keep them on the hook without risking them getting lucky and winning a race as well.

Plus, people tend to bet more when it's not a race. Most BIG $$$ games i've seen ( we're talking 1k a game or more ), be it 9 ball or 1 hole, were 5, 6 , 7 ahead.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If I feel I'm the better player 5 ahead, if not, race to 5 - better yet, don't play if I'm the weaker player.
Jason<----only cares about the $$$$$

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plus, people tend to bet more when it's not a race. Most BIG $$$ games i've seen ( we're talking 1k a game or more ), be it 9 ball or 1 hole, were 5, 6 , 7 ahead.
Most of the big "ahead" sets around here were in the "chemical warfare" days. I remember one 7-ahead set lasting over 3 days. Those two guys damn near wore-out the hinges on the bathroom door!! ;)