Shot Pictures and Aiming Systems

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well you are the one who brought it up in the first place, pretty much ignored the responses and then suggested letting it go to somebody else, actually. Admittedly I've been persistent on this question because it is something you bring up repeatedly and then ignore what people are telling you and then pretty much keep saying the same thing. It's beginning to look like you are trolling.

People can make up their own mind on the question. Feel free to keep saying that you prefer to use what got you there and I will continue to read this forum without my finger under each word. :p

Let it go, Let it flow The great Jimmy Reid
Your obsession is not good, Enjoy life

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it may be that you need to learn Poolology to understand. I don't know how many ways to say it. When you first start to read you put your finger under each word and your lips probably sounded out the words. That was your system for reading. Now your brain has internalized how to read and you don't need your reading system any more. Your reading system "got you there" but now you are going to abandon it? Well, yes, I don't see any point in reading with my finger and sounding out the words. It just gets in the way of reading and uses energy that need not be wasted while you are trying to understand and interpret the reading material (in much the way you need to apply english and strategy in pool).

So if that doesn't sink in then maybe in a few weeks or months you will think twice before asking why Poolology users "don't even use it." Respectfully, if you don't understand the reasons, please don't badger the people who do. This is starting to sound like another argument in reverse! :eek:

So now i'm curious. When you get stuck on a hard word when reading do you go back to using your finger? I mean that's what Brian does with poolology, when he's stuck on a tough shot he uses poolology again. Is it just like learning to read.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So now i'm curious. When you get stuck on a hard word when reading do you go back to using your finger? I mean that's what Brian does with poolology, when he's stuck on a tough shot he uses poolology again. Is it just like learning to read.

You seem to have trouble with analogies. Why is it that you never help newbies with their CTE questions? sacman uses A outside for both straight in shots and also for shallow angle shots. Is that what you do as well?

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=477073

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

I read a lot of nonfiction and a lot of fiction. I usually have 3 books going on at a time -- one at work, one by my bed at home, and one audible that I listen to while driving or walking. I learned to read by following each word or letter with my finger. It's how we train the brain -- conscious deliberate effort. Now it's automatic. But still, occasional, I'll see or hear a word that doesn't quite register. But within the flow of surrounding words it's usually pretty simple to infer meaning. Still, instead of skimming over the word and assuming its meaning, I'll look it up for the benefit of my vocabulary. I don't use a dictionary for every word as I'm reading.....I use my memory, and it's always an ongoing process of learning and building.

Playing pool is automatic. When you've played long enough you aren't consciously making deliberate efforts to ensure your stroke and alignment and aim are all working as intended....well, I'm not anyway. I'm playing as fluently and effortlessly as reading a book. And when a shot arises that doesn't quite register, I don't guess or assume when it comes to aiming -- I use my system.

If I had had Poolology when I was 16, I would probably never need to use it now. It's a tool to help with aiming (fractionally), and eventually your brain takes over and the tool is used less and less until no longer needed. What is so difficult to understand about that?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
You seem to have trouble with analogies. Why is it that you never help newbies with their CTE questions? sacman uses A outside for both straight in shots and also for shallow angle shots. Is that what you do as well?

Good point. Here's another shocker.....every time you look at the cb it's "fixed", regardless of POV there are always two fixed edges and a center. In order to pocket an ob that fixed ccb simply needs to be aligned with the proper aim line. There are many methods players can use to accomplish this, and the more you work with any method the better you'll get at it, whether it takes days or years.

Laubach.Baguio

Registered
If you are a newbie to pool and not just this forum, you really should check out Poolology. It shortcuts that learning process.

Thanks Dan. I'll check it out.
Yes, a newbie. I just started pool last Feb. I'm 73y/o blind left eye.
What I was first taught was to sight with my cue the line from the object ball to the target pocket. Then, with the cue still on the table, tip pointing to the obj ball, to move it in line with cue ball. Then,Larry ( who was teaching me) told me to aim for that intersect point. He set up the object ball around 6" to the corner pocket, the cue ball another 6" or so to the object ball
( he told me this short distance at first to build up my confidence, muscle memory and shot picture). Both were lined up straight. I then align my cue stick and shoot. After gaining confidence pocketing the obj ball & memorizing the shot picture , I gradually added distance up to 2 or 3 feet from the corner pocket
I did the same thing setting up the obj ball around 6" from the corner pocket , but this time, the cue ball at small angle from straight to the obj ball. Using the same aiming with the cue stick tip, keep that cue tip on the obj ball while moving my cue stick above the cue ball. I can now shoot with confidence from a 45* angle. Obj ball 15" from the pocket.
We're using the one and only old 7' table at the senior citizen center. 7 guys waiting their turn. It's bring your own cue/chalk. Thanks

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I was first taught was to sight with my cue the line from the object ball to the target pocket. Then, with the cue still on the table, tip pointing to the obj ball, to move it in line with cue ball. Then,Larry ( who was teaching me) told me to aim for that intersect point. He set up the object ball around 6" to the corner pocket, the cue ball another 6" or so to the object ball
( he told me this short distance at first to build up my confidence, muscle memory and shot picture). Both were lined up straight. I then align my cue stick and shoot. After gaining confidence pocketing the obj ball & memorizing the shot picture , I gradually added distance up to 2 or 3 feet from the corner pocket
I did the same thing setting up the obj ball around 6" from the corner pocket , but this time, the cue ball at small angle from straight to the obj ball. Using the same aiming with the cue stick tip, keep that cue tip on the obj ball while moving my cue stick above the cue ball. I can now shoot with confidence from a 45* angle. Obj ball 15" from the pocket.
We're using the one and only old 7' table at the senior citizen center. 7 guys waiting their turn. It's bring your own cue/chalk. Thanks

Sounds good. You can get Poolology online I think for about $5. You really need to practice your stroke before you go too crazy with aiming systems, though. A good (but boring) drill is to put the cue ball on the head spot. Shoot the ball over the foot spot and into the rail. You want the see if you can get the cue ball to come straight back to your tip. Observe what happens and make changes as necessary. It takes time but drills like this will help you pocket balls better when you go back to practicing cut shots.

BTW, Neils Feijen is one of the best players there is and he only sees through one eye, so you are in good company!

Laubach.Baguio

Registered
Sounds good. You can get Poolology online I think for about $5. You really need to practice your stroke before you go too crazy with aiming systems, though. A good (but boring) drill is to put the cue ball on the head spot. Shoot the ball over the foot spot and into the rail. You want the see if you can get the cue ball to come straight back to your tip. Observe what happens and make changes as necessary. It takes time but drills like this will help you pocket balls better when you go back to practicing cut shots.

BTW, Neils Feijen is one of the best players there is and he only sees through one eye, so you are in good company!

Wow,, thanks Dan. Really appreciate your advice. Will search for that Poology online. and get to learn it.
I will also do that head spot drill. The goal is to get the cb to come back straight to my cue tip. Sounds like a good drill.
Nice to have Neils Feijen as a role model. Thanks Dan.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I can't visualize this. Do you have pictures? I know where you should end up (on all systems).

Thanks

Laubach.Baguio

Registered
I can't visualize this. Do you have pictures? I know where you should end up (on all systems).

Thanks

Hi, after searching here, I found 4 posts by you:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?471174&p=6108062#post6108062

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?472355&p=6121185#post6121185

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?475730&p=6162315#post6162315

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?392507&p=5110088#post5110088

Maybe it's similar to your posts. I think what they taught me was contact point to contact point.
I'm just a newbie, so I'm not familiar with different aiming systems.

Sorry, I don't have pictures .

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read a lot of nonfiction and a lot of fiction. I usually have 3 books going on at a time -- one at work, one by my bed at home, and one audible that I listen to while driving or walking. I learned to read by following each word or letter with my finger. It's how we train the brain -- conscious deliberate effort. Now it's automatic. But still, occasional, I'll see or hear a word that doesn't quite register. But within the flow of surrounding words it's usually pretty simple to infer meaning. Still, instead of skimming over the word and assuming its meaning, I'll look it up for the benefit of my vocabulary. I don't use a dictionary for every word as I'm reading.....I use my memory, and it's always an ongoing process of learning and building.

Playing pool is automatic. When you've played long enough you aren't consciously making deliberate efforts to ensure your stroke and alignment and aim are all working as intended....well, I'm not anyway. I'm playing as fluently and effortlessly as reading a book. And when a shot arises that doesn't quite register, I don't guess or assume when it comes to aiming -- I use my system.

If I had had Poolology when I was 16, I would probably never need to use it now. It's a tool to help with aiming (fractionally), and eventually your brain takes over and the tool is used less and less until no longer needed. What is so difficult to understand about that?

Because my system is an exact system that i use on every shot. It's still automatic and i play fluently and with little effort.
Was just curious why someone would fallback to a system on just the hard shots and not every shot.
Why would you not use it on every shot? You have to aim somehow.
Can you not play fluently while using poolology

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

It sounds to me like he is standing in the line from the ob to the pocket and then putting his tip on the table at the ghost ball position. Then he is walking over to the cue ball with cue in hand and tip still on the cloth. This gives him the aim line. I'm sure you've seen people do that. I think he's doing something similar.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because my system is an exact system that i use on every shot. It's still automatic and i play fluently and with little effort.
Was just curious why someone would fallback to a system on just the hard shots and not every shot.
Why would you not use it on every shot? You have to aim somehow.
Can you not play fluently while using poolology

I thought you dropped it and even chastised me for not dropping it. You appear to be obtuse on purpose. Maybe you're trying to get a rise out of one of us?

Don't you think your time could be much better spend lending a little advice to a new guy who is earnestly trying to learn CTE? This should be a no brainer. Why do you continue to ignore the question?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds to me like he is standing in the line from the ob to the pocket and then putting his tip on the table at the ghost ball position. Then he is walking over to the cue ball with cue in hand and tip still on the cloth. This gives him the aim line. I'm sure you've seen people do that. I think he's doing something similar.

Pivoting at the tip system? Sounds new. Neslie O'Hare did/does that.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought you dropped it and even chastised me for not dropping it. You appear to be obtuse on purpose. Maybe you're trying to get a rise out of one of us?

l]

Just answered Brian that's all.
I'd love to drop it, we aren't going to agree, but you guys keep questioning my opinion