What is my level of play?

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Player - Break and run 3-4 out of every 5 racks? That sounds like a pro level player to me. What does a pro player break and run by your definition - 9 out of every 10 racks?

Chris, if you're referring to me and my once-in-a-lifetime best story of breaking and running two racks in a row and then making 8-ball on third rack, are you serious? That isn't the norm! I can occasionally play pretty good but it was best ever. It's like my friend who legitimately shot 67 on the golf course one day. I saw him do it but it is not the norm. He's a decent player but ten shots higher on his good days. He strutted around like a peacock for a week. Good for him, I patted him on the back often and he ate it up. Why shouldn't he, it was best he ever shot in decades of golf.

EDIT: Oh wait, my bad, you are referring to the other post where the rankings are described. Sorry!

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What part of state you in?

Northwest Louisiana, near Shreveport. I could find good players there, I am sure. I just don't go that way very often. I did it for decades, on the go all the time. I don't want to leave my town now unless it's to go local! But, I might get into it, we'll see. But, I gotta get better, lol.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris, if you're referring to me and my once-in-a-lifetime best story of breaking and running two racks in a row and then making 8-ball on third rack, are you serious? That isn't the norm! I can occasionally play pretty good but it was best ever. It's like my friend who legitimately shot 67 on the golf course one day. I saw him do it but it is not the norm. He's a decent player but ten shots higher on his good days. He strutted around like a peacock for a week. Good for him, I patted him on the back often and he ate it up. Why shouldn't he, it was best he ever shot in decades of golf.

EDIT: Oh wait, my bad, you are referring to the other post where the rankings are described. Sorry!
Yeah, I can maybe see an "A" player who is playing against the ghost and taking ball-in-hand after the break running 3-4 of every 5 racks, but not even a pro level player break and runs 60%-80% of the games they break - not even close.

Do the math - for a pro player, even if they manage to make a ball on 70% of their breaks (optimistic) and they run out 50% of those (optimistic), that still only calculates to 35% of their breaks do they break-and-run out.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting..... I never looked into rankings even when I used to play 15+ years ago. But now with my son, I have been curious. He joined an adult BCA league on 9' tables, has been against pretty solid players and has done well. He was just a 6.8 or 6.9ish last week and won so I heard this coming Wed he will be ranked as a 7.0+

Interesting that an 8 year old can be ranked that high?

BCA goes to 10 correct? For a 7 that would be a B player. That is very high for anyone under 10. There are very very few kids under 13 in the US that are B players, even those that go to Jr Nationals.

Must make the grow ups feel a bit sheepish in your area LOL

I remember when my son was 13 and was beating grown-ups, they would have these stunned silent looks on their faces as they watch him run out.

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I can maybe see an "A" player who is playing against the ghost and taking ball-in-hand after the break running 3-4 of every 5 racks, but not even a pro level player break and runs 60%-80% of the games they break - not even close.

Do the math - for a pro player, even if they manage to make a ball on 70% of their breaks (optimistic) and they run out 50% of those (optimistic), that still only calculates to 35% of their breaks do they break-and-run out.

Atlarge posts the break stats for a lot of the bigger events. He posted the results of the women's event this past weekend. The break and run percent for the streamed matches was 17%. They are professionals as well.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the men's events that he posts are somewhere between 22-27 % break and runs

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Northwest Louisiana, near Shreveport. I could find good players there, I am sure. I just don't go that way very often. I did it for decades, on the go all the time. I don't want to leave my town now unless it's to go local! But, I might get into it, we'll see. But, I gotta get better, lol.

To get better, it's likely you'll need to let go of the room you're in, and take a little ride to where you know the better players are. It's obvious you take the game seriously.

Best of luck:wave3:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Interesting..... I never looked into rankings even when I used to play 15+ years ago. But now with my son, I have been curious. He joined an adult BCA league on 9' tables, has been against pretty solid players and has done well. He was just a 6.8 or 6.9ish last week and won so I heard this coming Wed he will be ranked as a 7.0+

Interesting that an 8 year old can be ranked that high?

How'd you get him to play at that age? I have a 9 year old nephew who loves to throw the balls around the table, but refuses to pick up a cue.

Jeff Livingston

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How'd you get him to play at that age? I have a 9 year old nephew who loves to throw the balls around the table, but refuses to pick up a cue.

Jeff Livingston

Hi Jeff... last year June we were going to Dave n busters. I stopped by a shop to pick up chalk and he saw a one piece junior cue. He wanted to try pool instead of arcades that day and was hooked from there.

He was 7 and now 8, here is a recent thread

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Player - Break and run 3-4 out of every 5 racks? That sounds like a pro level player to me. What does a pro player break and run by your definition - 9 out of every 10 racks?

Are you thinking in terms of a 9’ table?

Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PS, if you have the pool gene, you will be D player until you get the "pool bug", then almost immediately after become a C player for like 2 weeks, then a B for 6 months to one year, then an A (or higher) for the rest of your life.

Those of us without the pool gene, will top out at a C+ to B- player, even after decades of playing.

I was playing a local Open player about 15 years ago, and he told me he was my speed for 2 weeks. He was not bull-shitting me.

Here comes the nature vs nurture! ha ha ha ha

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PS, if you have the pool gene, you will be D player until you get the "pool bug", then almost immediately after become a C player for like 2 weeks, then a B for 6 months to one year, then an A (or higher) for the rest of your life.

Those of us without the pool gene, will top out at a C+ to B- player, even after decades of playing.

I was playing a local Open player about 15 years ago, and he told me he was my speed for 2 weeks. He was not bull-shitting me.

Sadly, for most of us, what you say is so true. Generally the ones that have the most passion for the game and the determination to put in the countless hours to improve, are the ones that do not have the "gene" you refer to. Many of those few lucky ones that do have the "gene" have never had the discipline or the incentive to try to reach their full potential.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Zero-x skills level test because you have to play the pattern you choose ahead of time. Beating each level twice honestly most good league players cant get past 4.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did the 3 ball ghost race to 7. Throw 3 balls randomly on the table (if any fall in a pocket, throw it out again). Take ball in hand. Run out in rotation. 9' Brunswick Gold Crown table.

Set 1: Won 7-1
Set 2: Won 7-1
Set 3: Won 7-3
Set 4: Won 7-2
Set 5: Won 7-1

I consider myself a C+ to B- player in gambling terms.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Based on my observations -the above is 100% correct.
Buddy Hall ran his first rack of 9 Ball within 30 days of picking up a cue. I asked Earl what his experience was and he said "similar". People will tell you different-Even that there is no 'art' or music "gene". Everyone is equal in everything and it is all about learning! BULLSHIT!!!

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did the 3 ball ghost race to 7. Throw 3 balls randomly on the table (if any fall in a pocket, throw it out again). Take ball in hand. Run out in rotation. 9' Brunswick Gold Crown table.

Did you try the ZeroX version? You race to 10. The ghost races to 4. You must pick your pockets for each ball before starting your run. You cannot change pockets after you start. If you can beat the ghost twice in a row, your skill level is a 3. Then you try it with 4 balls. Beat that twice in a row and your skill level is a 4. Then try it with 5 balls...

Respectfully, Matt

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think a lot of the level limitation also comes from how a person learns when they start. If you spend 3 years shooting random shots with no real stance, then decide to learn how to play finally, you are not likely to get as good as someone that started playing pool with a teacher.

I noticed that a lot of my pool buddies that are white collar max out at B+. The group of players at my local pool hall and others I meet that are engineers, IT people, lawyers, etc... are all B+ maybe A- players. I think that comes from them forcing the skill they have through study and practice vs talent or starting early and with proper coaching.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

3 balls should only be used for those just past beginner stage, C players at best. If you think you are a C+ or B-, you should be able to do 4,5 or 6 and end up winning a race to 7.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you try the ZeroX version? You race to 10. The ghost races to 4. You must pick your pockets for each ball before starting your run. You cannot change pockets after you start. If you can beat the ghost twice in a row, your skill level is a 3. Then you try it with 4 balls. Beat that twice in a row and your skill level is a 4. Then try it with 5 balls...

Respectfully, Matt

No, I clicked on the video, and did not have the attention span to get past Tor's introduction. ha ha. True story:grin::grin::grin:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 balls should only be used for those just past beginner stage, C players at best. If you think you are a C+ or B-, you should be able to do 4,5 or 6 and end up winning a race to 7.

I normally play the 9 ball ghost. I thought the OP had used 3 balls, so wanted to duplicated his effort just to give another data point to him. I may have misunderstood him.