What is my level of play?

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How'd you get him to play at that age? I have a 9 year old nephew who loves to throw the balls around the table, but refuses to pick up a cue.

Jeff Livingston

Don't allow throwing balls, lol. He'll have to go for the cue. Plus, he and his buddies will soon be standing at opposite end rails slinging balls as fast as they can at the opposing corner pockets. I know because me and my buddies did it. Can't be good for end rails, probably is why mine make the ball jump upon hitting the cushion.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
I think a lot of the level limitation also comes from how a person learns when they start. If you spend 3 years shooting random shots with no real stance, then decide to learn how to play finally, you are not likely to get as good as someone that started playing pool with a teacher.

I noticed that a lot of my pool buddies that are white collar max out at B+. The group of players at my local pool hall and others I meet that are engineers, IT people, lawyers, etc... are all B+ maybe A- players. I think that comes from them forcing the skill they have through study and practice vs talent or starting early and with proper coaching.

Spot on. You develope so many bad habits, that when you decide to get good, it becomes SERIOUS work, to get good!! ****ing goddamn years of work :-/!!!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Don't allow throwing balls, lol. He'll have to go for the cue. Plus, he and his buddies will soon be standing at opposite end rails slinging balls as fast as they can at the opposing corner pockets. I know because me and my buddies did it. Can't be good for end rails, probably is why mine make the ball jump upon hitting the cushion.

He's been doing it for several years. I figure he's learning about table characteristics and how balls rebound, etc. That's something, anyway.

He makes up rules for made up games and then changes those as he plays. I think he doesn't like losing so he doesn't try new things. I'm not sure yet.

I told him and my wife, that I'd give them both beginners' lessons together. He wasn't buying it.

Jeff Livingston

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any idea what you'd call my level of play? Intermediate, "B," "C," or what? I get confused looking at various rating methods. If someone asks, I don't know what to say.
If other people are asking you, then you're a D player.

If you're asking, then you're a D player.

But, based on just one thing I learned about a month ago by watching a lot of videos (and noticed something onscreen), I improved probably 5-10% from that alone. So, I think I can get a lot better.
You gonna share with the rest of us?

Freddie <~~~ HGH player

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He's been doing it for several years. I figure he's learning about table characteristics and how balls rebound, etc. That's something, anyway.

He makes up rules for made up games and then changes those as he plays. I think he doesn't like losing so he doesn't try new things. I'm not sure yet.

I told him and my wife, that I'd give them both beginners' lessons together. He wasn't buying it.

Jeff Livingston
Look around for videos of Mike Massey doing finger pool tricks. Maybe that will intimidate him out of it. Or, you could take up finger pool yourself. Try the 3-cushion knock a ball in off the spot in 15 throws proposition.

I suspect he figures that he can't beat you with a stick so he doesn't want to try. I recall being the same way about playing checkers with my father. In that case I learned to ambush him after he had had a few.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Look around for videos of Mike Massey doing finger pool tricks. Maybe that will intimidate him out of it. Or, you could take up finger pool yourself. Try the 3-cushion knock a ball in off the spot in 15 throws proposition.

I suspect he figures that he can't beat you with a stick so he doesn't want to try. I recall being the same way about playing checkers with my father. In that case I learned to ambush him after he had had a few.

I think that's it.

I've done a few fingers shots for 3 rails, etc. and that didn't help. He just changed his rules of his game whenever I start to win, cue or not.

It's a problem with adults, too. I had a friend whose wife would not go bowling because, "I don't want to embarrass myself, cuz I'm no good." I replied, "You can't get good if you never play." She never played.

Thanks for the advice.

Jeff Livingston