Coin-op Diamonds at US Intl. Open...

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed all the tables on both sides of the floor are coin-ops.

Regular Pro/Ams, just coin ops.

I haven't seen the correct side to see it, but I assume the tv table is, also.

The answer I got it is that they'll be available after the tournament play is over for the night for the players (and anyone, with players or not) to practice on, FOR QUARTERS!!! Paying per rack.

Possibly the same with the tables in the practice room (after tourney hours), but I'm not sure.

Interesting idea. I wonder if this relates to the field being about 13 short, so the projected purse is $13k short? Or planned all along?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

The answer I got it is that they'll be available after the tournament play is over for the night for the players (and anyone, with players or not) to practice on, FOR QUARTERS!!! Paying per rack.

Possibly the same with the tables in the practice room (after tourney hours), but I'm not sure.

Interesting idea. I wonder if this relates to the field being about 13 short, so the projected purse is $13k short? Or planned all along?

This is how many tournaments were back in the day.
They were open for hire and available as soon as the matches were finished for the night.
Pat Fleming had mentioned this in advance.

...he doesn’t owe QMaster any favors....good move, Pat.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Out of curiosity, who provided that answer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I imagine it's the same setup as the Derby. After a certain time the tables are put on timers based on tokens which allow 30 minutes of play at time before you have to put more in.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

These are what Diamond calls "Smart Tables".
Same as the ProAm but has the coin option.
You can set them up to drop the balls without using any coins if you like. Or you can set them up for a specific time, like 1 hour.
For tournaments, many places charge a flat greens fee and just open the tables during tourney play. After tournament hours or for practice they can reset them to play by coins. It's a simple turn of the key.

Karate

Do you expect me to post?
Silver Member
Smart Tables

These are usually NOT Quarter Tables...
They are Dollar Coin Tables.

They are usually set up like....1 Coin gets you one game with no ball return.
So, you can't spot balls back up. Not good for 1pocket, right.

If, the pool rate is $10 per hour, you can insert 5 dollar coins for 30 minutes of table time, that includes ball return.
When, time runs out, the table "locks up" and you need to insert 5 more coins.

Usually there is a coin machine that changes your cash to coin for you.

Karate-

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who do you think skipped because of this?

Nobody. That's not what I said.

I joked to imply they switched to coin ops after the field came in short.

I expect that's not the case, either. Likely, the decision was made early on, and was not related to the field size.

Last edited:

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, who provided that answer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A person running the pre-sale ticket distribution and daily sales for Pat.

However, the quarters and by the rack part was my embellishment guess. Nothing was specified as to how it was paid, but it is tokens (I found out today) when the TD announced it, and I guess by the half hour, not by the rack.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Nobody. That's not what I said.

I joked to imply they switched to coin ops after the field came in short.

I'm expect that's not the case, either. Likely, the decision was made early on, and was not related to the field size.

Still pretty chintzy...almost like batters having to put coins into a pitching machine at the World Series....:embarrassed2:

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still pretty chintzy...almost like batters having to put coins into a pitching machine at the World Series....:embarrassed2:

I was mostly just surprised.

At first I thought they just got that batch out of necessity, and then I asked and got the 'they're for hire' for play after hours answer.

But I guess if the Derby does the same thing, the players who've been there are used to it. There's no other place they can practice for free. (Except Q Masters lets all former US Open champs play for free.)

The one particular table some might want extra practice on is not available. They don't let the tv table out for rent this way. Not everyone would get on the tv table, but those who will would really like to see how it breaks, etc.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed them yesterday, the Tv table does not have a coin op in it. But I do know there was late late night I mean like 4 or 5 am action, something I havn t seen in years past in the tournament room.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just give the word, Sofla.

The boys over in NPR will start a Gofundme account to help you with those Smart Table expenses. :thumbup:

Sofla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phil, do they have late night action?

That was the plan (among other plans for them).

Or in the exact words I was told, 'and if there's a little gambling involved, no one will mind.'

I haven't looked in to see who is in there doing what after hours, so far.

I looked at one of the token vending machines more closely. It takes $1, $5 and $10 bills (at least, maybe $20s) but no token price I can see.