Mosconi Cup week 2018

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is very true! The longer the USA extends things, the more pressure will mount on them. I have grown

to dislike Shaw, because of his unprofessional attitude, how he acts when he is behind, and how he asked for a re-repack against Ko, after the rules said you couldn’t get a re-rack. He is way too demonstrative, even before his runout is complete, and his ego is a little out of control. Europe does have a long list of Super-talented Players, with many of them having been World Champs or previously rated number-one. Oh, on the nitpicking side, the announcers are much too biased toward Europe, and it’s “America is”, not “America are”!!
Yeah, Shaw certainly choked, badly overcutting not that difficult a shot on the 1-ball in the hill/hill game when he should have been out. Can't say I thought much of Woodward's imitation of Shaw starting his celebration before potting the 9-ball shot to win the match. No need to stoop to Shaw's antics.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That is very true! The longer the USA extends things, the more pressure will mount on them. I have grown

to dislike Shaw, because of his unprofessional attitude, how he acts when he is behind, and how he asked for a re-repack against Ko, after the rules said you couldn’t get a re-rack. He is way too demonstrative, even before his runout is complete, and his ego is a little out of control. Europe does have a long list of Super-talented Players, with many of them having been World Champs or previously rated number-one. Oh, on the nitpicking side, the announcers are much too biased toward Europe, (and it’s “America is”, not “America are”!!

Bit of a grey area grammatically...the British say.” The company are .”.sometimes...
...We in North America say “The company is .”

Collective nouns can be looked at both ways reasonably.

Britain and America....separated by a common language...:)

Last edited:

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Yeah, Shaw certainly choked, badly overcutting not that difficult a shot on the 1-ball in the hill/hill game when he should have been out. Can't say I thought much of Woodward's imitation of Shaw starting his celebration before potting the 9-ball shot to win the match. No need to stoop to Shaw's antics.

Great for TV though. Fits the tone of the event as long as it doesn’t get out of hand – referee needs to step in when needed – plus Shaw appreciated that moment as well haha

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
No, tomorrow is monumental in the careers specifically of the 3 young American players, not today. It will not be easy to finish this off with the added pressure of being so close and the expectations that they are now supposed to close it out tomorrow with this current lead they've forged. They will have a very hard time sleeping tonight. I just hope we can get on the hill in one of the first two matches. The longer Europe can stave off elimination tomorrow, the harder it will get for team USA to close it out.

I’m pro-Europe but I’m rooting for the US this year – I want to see the three young ‘uns use this win to boost their self belief and hopefully go on to bigger things. For one, we will have a fiercely competitive mosconi cup in future. But even if for whatever inexplicable reason that they fail, this mosconi cup has been a defining one for them. They’ve had Europe on the ropes, and they have the belief now that they can do it again.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the US is playing that much better than typical, nor is Europe playing much worse. There's a big difference between the rookies Styler and Kaci, but that's about it. Ouschan is playing fantastic, SVB is not much above his usual Mosconi performance, Woodward and Thorpe are playing well but it's not like they're doing anything spectacular. They've all made mistakes, they've all made some great shots - it's pool. A couple of different rolls and it could be the other way.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Big last-day comebacks in the Mosconi Cup:

• 1996 -- USA down 9-12, won 15-13.

• 2003 -- USA down 6-8, won 11-9

• 2006 -- USA down 6-9, ended in 12-12 tie.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the US is playing that much better than typical, nor is Europe playing much worse. There's a big difference between the rookies Styler and Kaci, but that's about it. Ouschan is playing fantastic, SVB is not much above his usual Mosconi performance, Woodward and Thorpe are playing well but it's not like they're doing anything spectacular. They've all made mistakes, they've all made some great shots - it's pool. A couple of different rolls and it could be the other way.

This is a pretty accurate assessment of what's going on. It seems that this year we are getting a little bit of an edge on those friendly rolls the European team has seemed to have gotten when they needed it the most.

The Skyker Jayson match was a good example....first rack skyler goes for cut on 3 ball in side, misses, but cue ball goes two rails and rolls dead behind the 6, forcing Shaw to kick and miss, giving sky ball in hand to go up 1
The euros had their rolls too, but we just have one or two more and that makes a huge difference in Mosconi race to 5.

Another example is the entire Styer Feijen match...Styer was the recipient of some great luck and he made it count.

In recent years, USA has played in close matches but seemed to not get those much needed rolls, or capitalize on them like the Euros did. This year is different.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calling Herb Brooks

I don't know what is going to happen tomorrow, but I'm pretty proud of this USA team.... guys generally ranked well lower than their counterparts across the board, with the exception of SVB. And yet, through some good old fashioned grit, these youngsters have persevered and have created a fairly nice David vs Goliath story come true.

With any luck, they'll close this Mosconi story tomorrow. :cool:

We would have been proud of Olympic Hockey Team USA in .1980 too, even
if they had lost to Finland. It would only be a footnote that USA defeated Russia,
considered the best hockey team in the world but lost to Finland, to lose the Gold.
No Miracle on Ice. Coach Herb Brooks told them after two periods You lose this
game and you will take it to your F***ing graves. They rallied, won and the rest is
as they say history. Possibly the greatest USA team victory of all time. This is not
the Olympics with millions watching, but it is a big thing for USA pool players
and fans. A long awaited,rare opportunity. Don't blow it, SHOOT THEIR NU_S OFF.
jack

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am all for Europe, being European, but I like the way this tournament is turning out.
It is good for the Sport. I think for the first time there has not been any "Drama" going on and just People concentrating on pool and US-Team is acting like a Team for once. Good on them!
I believe Johan's skillset has had something to do with it.
All in all Matchroom certainly have created a nice entertaining Event.
I would throw a couple of the fans there out....bring Michaela back and she'll sort them out in a rush! :)

Cheers,
Kimmo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a pretty accurate assessment of what's going on. It seems that this year we are getting a little bit of an edge on those friendly rolls the European team has seemed to have gotten when they needed it the most.

The Skyker Jayson match was a good example....first rack skyler goes for cut on 3 ball in side, misses, but cue ball goes two rails and rolls dead behind the 6, forcing Shaw to kick and miss, giving sky ball in hand to go up 1
The euros had their rolls too, but we just have one or two more and that makes a huge difference in Mosconi race to 5.

Another example is the entire Styer Feijen match...Styer was the recipient of some great luck and he made it count.

In recent years, USA has played in close matches but seemed to not get those much needed rolls, or capitalize on them like the Euros did. This year is different.

Agree.

It's not the level of play on either side, it's the rolls. The US has had a loooong spell of getting horrific rolls at all the worst times -- and it seemed like the Europeans always came out smelling like rose water. This year the US is getting some pretty good rolls and that is the big difference.

Lou Figueroa

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I need to see Tyler Styer vs. Albin Ouschan on Day 4. The 2 current possible MVP's going at it.

Skyler Woodward has played in 5 matches and won 4 of them.
Tyler Styer has played in 5 matches and won 4 of them.
Billy Thorpe has played in 4 matches and won 2 of them so he is out.
Corey Deuel has played in 3 matches and won 1 of them so he is out.
SVB has played in 5 matches and won 3 of them so he is out.

They are both gunning for MVP, I guess day 4 will settle that. I am obviously excluding the first team match in this stat.

I wouldn't mind seeing Skyler vs. Albin either.

On the European side:

Albin has played in 4 matches and won 3 of them.
Feijen has played in 4 matches and won 1 of them so he is out.
Alex has played in 4 matches and won 1 of them so he is out.
Shaw has played in 5 matches and won 2 of them so he is DEFINITELY out.
Kaci has played in 4 matches and won 1 of them so he is out.

I mean this one isn't really a debate.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know the intricacies of how the players are matched up?
I understand the coach hands in his list of players on each team, and they go from there, but in a post match interview, Styer said he told Coach Johann he wanted to go up against Niels. I always thought the lineups were handed in blind and they couldn't select the opponent.

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have any stats on winning lags? Just wondering if there is any collation between the USA success and winning the lag this year? IIRC last year we didn't fair too well in those stats

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have any stats on winning lags? Just wondering if there is any collation between the USA success and winning the lag this year? IIRC last year we didn't fair too well in those stats
Seriously????????

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Seriously????????

AtLarge reported yesterday that USA won 8 of the 15 lags....
...which is far better than usual.
It can be a big thing in short matches....every hill-hill match...lag winner gets the crush.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AtLarge reported yesterday that USA won 8 of the 15 lags....
...which is far better than usual.
It can be a big thing in short matches....every hill-hill match...lag winner gets the crush.
I guess. I've just never put much thought into lag winner. Maybe that's been our downfall over the last bunch of years. Headline: "U.S. is a bunch of laggard laggers. Film at eleven." ;)

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not all that excited about the AtLarge post of big Mosconi cup come backs,
this time...
I do however understand that those European partisans can smell like rosewater. :wink: