C.J.'s touch of inside

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Haven't read a post. CJ told me long ago, especially the play conditions/cloth etc in TX, LA..... and all southern and wetland states. Table conditions were normally semi clean, balls were normally not clean. When you use inside and not allot....at the correct speed, the transfer of inside as it's coming across/swiping the obj. balls contact point....is Maximum. NOW the obj. ball rotation when it hits the pocket facing ''turns in''....better yet it Toin's In. :grin:

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When you use inside and and not allot at the correct speed, the transfer of inside as it's coming across/swiping the obj. ball contact point....is Maximum.
For those interested in the details, the best speed is just fast enough for the transferred spin to last to the rail.

The right amount of side spin depends on the cut angle - maximum spin transfer (and throw) is produced with about half of maximum sidespin for a straight shot and with less and less sidespin as the cut angle increases, down to no sidespin for a half ball (30 degree) cut. For cuts greater (sharper) than half ball, you actually need to add a little outside to maximize contact-induced spin transfer/throw.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Mosconi wasn't really teaching how things worked. He was teaching what he did and how he played. ...
It is not clear how much input Mosconi had on his book. It certainly wasn't written by him. On some points maybe the book said what he thought he was doing when what he was actually doing was something else. Or maybe the books was just stating the commonly accepted "facts" at the time as assembled by the ghost writer.

I have never heard of Mosconi teaching any students. There are some videos of him giving very basic demos but with no real info in them.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think CJ is conveying a "feeling" for the stroke but unfortunately the mechanics of it do not fit his descriptions, as many on here have pointed out. I believe people are validly being helped by adopting the "feeling" being described even if the mechanics of what is actually happening are misunderstood.
I think any player is going to appear to be helped by many kind of bogus instruction if they start to pay more attention to their game and specifically focus on each shot. If that focus is brought by some bogus aiming system or stroking system or whatever, then they may even have a lasting improvement. However, if the teaching is bogus there is a good chance it will lead to a dead end. There are examples of that in Mosconi's book.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those interested in the details, the best speed is just fast enough for the transferred spin to last to the rail.

The right amount of side spin depends on the cut angle - maximum spin transfer (and throw) is produced with about half of maximum sidespin for a straight shot and with less and less sidespin as the cut angle increases, down to no sidespin for a half ball (30 degree) cut. For cuts greater (sharper) than half ball, you actually need to add a little outside to maximize contact-induced spin transfer/throw.

pj
chgo

The "right amount of sidespin" as you put it (not sure what you mean by "right") depends on what kind of spin you are producing. The action of the object ball is very different when applying inside vs. outside spin, at least based on Dr. Dave's studies. Interestingly, a core rationale for CJs use of inside is that he can shoot the same shot over and over again and does not have to worry about correcting for varied speeds and angles. Why? He is using inside spin, and inside spin produces a much narrower range of throw across cut angles and speeds. Here is one example imac pointed out to me from Dr. Dave's studies. Notice, this particular chart shows degrees of throw for medium speed follow/draw shots, which is exactly what CJ teaches in TOI. There is almost zero variability across cut angles for inside spin while outside and center shots are moderately variable across cut angles, and the variability is high enough to require correction across cut angles for longer shots whereas no correction is needed for inside spin.

Screen%20Shot%202018-12-27%20at%2011.31.56%20AM_zpsord4gxk0.png

Variances across cut angles are wider for stun shots but still much lower for inside than outside, with inside spin varying by only about 1 degree between 20 and 60 degree cut angles compared to 2 degrees with no spin and over 5 degrees with outside spin. I struggle to understand how anyone can look at this data and conclude anything but to use some inside spin to more consistently make shots across various speeds and angles, without having to do major corrections based on cut angles, whenever center or outside are not absolutely required for position.

Screen%20Shot%202018-12-27%20at%2011.29.28%20AM_zpsvhhq9rdg.png

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The "right amount of sidespin" as you put it (not sure what you mean by "right") depends on what kind of spin you are producing.
I wonder how you determine that without a definition of “right amount”, but anyway...

As you can see from the (quoted) post I responded to, I meant the amount that produces maximum spin transfer/throw.

The difference between inside and outside sidespin in this regard is that inside sidespin is usually faster than optimum (for causing maximum spin transfer/throw) because it adds to the “rubbing speed” caused by the forward speed of the CB.

pj
chgo

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how you determine that without a definition of “right amount”, but anyway...

As you can see from the (quoted) post I responded to, I meant the amount that produces maximum spin transfer/throw.

The difference between inside and outside sidespin in this regard is that inside sidespin is usually faster than optimum (for causing maximum spin transfer/throw) because it adds to the “rubbing speed” caused by the forward speed of the CB.

pj
chgo

Nonetheless using the follow/draw medium speed chart, and considering some increment of sidespin smaller than 50%, and assuming the spin near center ball shots changes linearly with distance from the center, a small miss left or right on a center ball hit causes an opposite direction of throw at lower cut angles, whereas a miss left or right of a TOI shot results in same direction throw.

The misses are not equal, and the disparity is greater with a center ball hit that is missed left or right than a miss using TOI. Functionally the misses should be smaller with TOI, but further study would be needed to know by how much and to know whether it would affect shots over several feet of distance.

For moderately skilled players a quarter tip of inside would always throw the OB to the outside whereas a center ball hit missed to the left would throw it outside but a center ball hit missed to the right would throw it to the inside. Again, misses to one side of the center of the ball have a smaller magnitude of throw impact than misses to left and right of center.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not clear how much input Mosconi had on his book. It certainly wasn't written by him. On some points maybe the book said what he thought he was doing when what he was actually doing was something else. Or maybe the books was just stating the commonly accepted "facts" at the time as assembled by the ghost writer.

I have never heard of Mosconi teaching any students. There are some videos of him giving very basic demos but with no real info in them.

I was watching a training video on straight pool. There was a series of them, I am not sure how many. The one below touts it as the only one. It is on banking and kicking. This same video is also referred to as Willie Mosconi sighting the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvXkhdINjS4

The one I watched was this one. Willie Mosconi Straight Pool Break shots 1980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPxJuAoimE&list=PLK7wo9xeSD0Fe8hoyejpjZbUc6eZReEnT&index=2

It is funny, in re-watching it I saw how strongly he believed side spin "forced" the cue ball in the direction of the spin. He ended up with less angle on one straight pool break out and said "Now this one I am going to have to use more English to force the cue ball into the rack since I am so straight in".

There is at least one more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yym21l9_Z3U&index=3&list=PLK7wo9xeSD0Fe8hoyejpjZbUc6eZReEnT
This one is labeled Willie Mosconi World of Pocket Billiards. This one is a basic, stance grip, etc.

In reviewing these videos it may be there is really only one or two and the above postings have been segmented and renamed. Here is the link to what I believe is the master. It is 50 minutes long. The others are much shorter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yym21l9_Z3U&list=PLK7wo9xeSD0Fe8hoyejpjZbUc6eZReEnT&index=3

Last edited:

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The misses are not equal, and the disparity is greater with a center ball hit that is missed left or right than a miss using TOI. Functionally the misses should be smaller with TOI, but further study would be needed to know by how much and to know whether it would affect shots over several feet of distance.

This is the part of TOI that appealed to me more. Consistency of spin, throw and angle and speed of rebound. Variations of reverse English vs. slight reverse, stun, and slight running. The difference in all errors contained to one side vs. the spread which included slightly opposite spin seemed to be more predictable.

The other small portion I use consistently is using a slight squirt to create very small angles vs. changing my aim slightly. I especially like this when shooting parallel down a rail. If I try to change my aim slightly I am less accurate then aiming dead center with a slight tip offset. This works well for me for inside or outside spin.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Nonetheless using the follow/draw medium speed chart, and considering some increment of sidespin smaller than 50%, and assuming the spin near center ball shots changes linearly with distance from the center, a small miss left or right on a center ball hit causes an opposite direction of throw at lower cut angles, whereas a miss left or right of a TOI shot results in same direction throw.

For moderately skilled players a quarter tip of inside would always throw the OB to the outside whereas a center ball hit missed to the left would throw it outside but a center ball hit missed to the right would throw it to the inside. Again, misses to one side of the center of the ball have a smaller magnitude of throw impact than misses to left and right of center.
My comment was only about how to produce maximum throw, not about its application to TOI, but...

Interesting observation about variance in throw with inside vs. outside - I'll have to spend some time with Dr. Dave's analysis before I can speak to that. But I don't recall throw being part of CJ's "reasoning" - as I recall he was focused entirely on using squirt to improve pocketing percentages. Throw has the opposite effect of squirt on aiming, so I wonder how that factors into your assessment of TOI.

You might be right about favoring inside for shots that don't need CB control, but in my experience that situation is rare even for game balls.

pj
chgo

Island Drive

Silver Member
My comment was only about how to produce maximum throw, not about its application to TOI, but...

Interesting observation about variance in throw with inside vs. outside - I'll have to spend some time with Dr. Dave's analysis before I can speak to that. But I don't recall throw being part of CJ's "reasoning" - as I recall he was focused entirely on using squirt to improve pocketing percentages. Throw has the opposite effect of squirt on aiming, so I wonder how that factors into your assessment of TOI.

You might be right about favoring inside for shots that don't need CB control, but in my experience that situation is rare even for game balls.

pj
chgo

NO....it was to have the proper object ball rotation when entering the pocket hitting the facing or the tit then the facing....the ball rotation being INWARD ....makes the shot allot easier. Your pocket target area is enlarged.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

pj
chgo

NO....it was to have the proper object ball rotation when entering the pocket hitting the facing or the tit then the facing....the ball rotation being INWARD ....makes the shot allot easier. Your pocket target area is enlarged.
Actually, it was about favoring squirt one way to avoid it the other. I don't remember him mentioning "get-in English". In fact, I think his TOI technique (aim fuller, squirt thinner) usually produces "get OUT English".

pj
chgo

(P.S. Sorry, I misread your post earlier - didn't see the bolded part of mine.)

Last edited:

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I don't trouble myself worrying too much about what CJ thinks is happening. I am interested in what is really happening. Like many pro-level players in sports of various kinds, CJ does things right a lot more often than the rest of us mortals. The fact that he cannot explain or provides a faulty explanation for techniques he uses is not evidence that the techniques is wrong or would not work in the hands of others. The discussion above of Willie, arguably the goat, who could execute but not properly explain the mechanics of what was happening, and was making money off the video, is an example that a pro can sincerely try to help others, be incorrect in the explanation, yet right about the execution, all while making money in our wonderful capitalist system which rewards people with skills and work ethic who want to teach others their skills.

I have tried some of the techniques CJ teaches on here and in his cds. In every case I have not been successful at understanding what to do regarding some of his more controversial methods based on CJs direct instructions. I have needed an interpreter in the form of someone on this or another forum who figured it out and explained it better, or I figured it out on my own. My conclusions are that TOI and the so-called hammer stroke which is not remotely like striking a hammer by the way, are both valid methods which in the former case reduced misses for me mainly on 0-30 degree shots, got me hitting at a more consistent speed which allowed for shape using mostly high and low and only spinning as needed, and in the latter case provided me with a more abbreviated, straighter stroke.

I think there are two reasons this latter stroking method has advantages. First, from a starting position with the wrist flexed forward the fingers are forward of the lower arm, and they are very close to the finish position for most shooters. So the cue stick is pushed rather than pulled forward as it would be with the wrist flexed back, like John Schmidt, who starts with wrist cocked back (ulnar) and ends with it cocked forward (radial).

In contrast, CJ starts with his wrist cocked forward, and ends with his wrist cocked forward. Shane does too. They are setting their wrists in the same position at the beginning as at the finish, the stick rocks back in the hand some but the wrist remains cocked forward in both cases. CJ says you can't see the hammer move happening, and that is because it is not happening. It can't, since he is applying some downward pressure at the beginning of the stroke with his wrist flexed radially and there is nowhere for it to go from there since the stick does not move downward at that location (with respect to the cue, it is moving downward with respect to the table at the same angle as the cue). It would be like holding a hammer up against a nail and then trying to do a hammer stroke. You can't. You have to raise the hammer up to strike and you would have to raise the stick off the bridge to do a hammer stroke. Is his wrist flexed more forward? Perhaps, because he is reaching forward more during the follow through. He may feel like it is turning down substantially but it is dead obvious from videos of him that he isn't. In fact he is largely taking the wrist out of the picture and pushing the stick forward without changing wrist orientation much.

The second reason this stroking method has advantages in my opinion is that because the wrist flexure is not changing much, some downward pressure can be applied on the stick, which will certainly cause problems if you are changing from flexed back to flexed forward, but is an advantage when maintaining the forward flexure, because it holds the stick down into the original bridge position, it does not waver as much, and because the wrist is locked it does not interfere.

That is my point of view on those two things. Meanwhile, while I listen to CJs explanation of what he thinks is happening, and realize he is right about some things and maybe not so right about others, his inability to explain it does not provide a shred of evidence that the technique does not work, any more than Ted Williams inability to explain all the mechanics of a baseball swing obviates the validity of his techniques.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Inside english offers many advantages, as listed on the inside english resource page.

However, when one uses english, in addition to adjusting for throw, one must also adjust for CB deflection resulting from squirt and swerve (see squirt and swerve effects). These effects vary with shot shot speed and distance, type and amount of spin, cue elevation, and conditions, so using inside english when it is not required for CB control is probably not a good approach for most people.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Inside english offers many advantages, as listed on the inside english resource page.

However, when one uses english, in addition to adjusting for throw, one must also adjust for CB deflection resulting from squirt and swerve (see squirt and swerve effects). These effects vary with shot shot speed and distance, type and amount of spin, cue elevation, and conditions, so using inside english when it is not required for CB control is probably not a good approach for most people.

Enjoy,
Dave

How about this; A little bit of "inside English" strives to make the cut a bit thinner with swerve which most people need.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Actually, it was about favoring squirt one way to avoid it the other. I don't remember him mentioning "get-in English". In fact, I think his TOI technique (aim fuller, squirt thinner) usually produces "get OUT English".

pj
chgo

(P.S. Sorry, I misread your post earlier - didn't see the bolded part of mine.)

When CJ explained this too me, it was more than 20 years ago, maybe 96. We went around to a few of his spots in Dallas he bet it up. $200 a rack bar table 9 ball, no hesitation. But it was all about the rotation that was on the ball as it entered the pocket, especially the big tables. If the shot allowed this, it seemed to be how he preferred to ''approach'' each and every shot. Step into the shot....from the inside out thinking.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about this; A little bit of "inside English" strives to make the cut a bit thinner with swerve which most people need.
I'm not sure what you're saying. Swerve with inside english will cause a fuller hit.

Example: For a cut to the left, inside english is left side spin. Squirt on the shot will tend to make it a thinner hit with more cut. Swerve, however, will be to the left and that will make the hit thicker and get less cut.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what you're saying. Swerve with inside english will cause a fuller hit.

Example: For a cut to the left, inside english is left side spin. Squirt on the shot will tend to make it a thinner hit with more cut. Swerve, however, will be to the left and that will make the hit thicker and get less cut.

Oops, meant squirt.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Enjoy,
Dave

While all of this is true, we are faced with an assertion in this thread that has been repeated elsewhere that a miss by distance +/- x from a center ball hit equals a miss by +/- x on a hit using inside english. Support for that was that squirt is equal in either case which is true. But that argument failed to take throw into account. If one factor, whether it be squirt, swerve or throw is not equal in both cases, then the assertion is untrue. That was the main point of my discussion.

Do you disagree that even if swerve and squirt are constant in each case, the fact that throw differs disproves the assertion?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
While all of this is true, we are faced with an assertion in this thread that has been repeated elsewhere that a miss by distance +/- x from a center ball hit equals a miss by +/- x on a hit using inside english. Support for that was that squirt is equal in either case which is true. But that argument failed to take throw into account. If one factor, whether it be squirt, swerve or throw is not equal in both cases, then the assertion is untrue. That was the main point of my discussion.

Do you disagree that even if swerve and squirt are constant in each case, the fact that throw differs disproves the assertion?
I am on vacation, but when I get back, I will do a careful analysis and post something.

Regards,
Dave