14.1 Stats -- John Schmidt's Run of 434 on Video, December 2018

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So do you think we can assume if/when he were to break Mosconi's record, we'd see it posted up on youtube? The classy thing for JS to do, if he makes it to 525, (which will be in the middle of a rack assuming he starts the run with a full rack) would be for him to lay his cue down and quit!

Of course he'd post it -- it's his "affidavit."

And no way he'd lay down his cue. He'll go as far as he can go, IMO.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and your inability to think period has also been noted!

Truth be told...

I heard willie hit center pocket on every shot and called his shots 3 in advance. On the break shots too.

Think it through; there's an easy way to figure out how many balls are made in a run.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a measle dot bulging? I've never felt any of the measle dots bulging or sticking up above the surface to where you can feel them on any of our numerous pro cup measle balls. Surely he's using a nearly new cue ball for this run, or if not, his bad.

It absolutely does happen, the dots can make cb roll off.

A carom place I used to go to cleaned balls after every set and the claim was easily seen.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the one stat that Large did not post is how many runs were started, over how many days, in this series of attempts. ...

Hey, no insults here -- who said I'm Large?

As to the number of attempts, I don't know. How about a wild, calculated guess. From John's comments on Facebook, it appears that he tried for about 30 days (beginning Nov. 19) and played 5-8 hours per day. If he averaged about 4 attempts per hour for 6½ hours per day for 30 days, that would be 780 attempts. So give or take a few hundred from that.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, no insults here -- who said I'm Large?

As to the number of attempts, I don't know. How about a wild, calculated guess. From John's comments on Facebook, it appears that he tried for about 30 days (beginning Nov. 19) and played 5-8 hours per day. If he averaged about 4 attempts per hour for 6½ hours per day for 30 days, that would be 780 attempts. So give or take a few hundred from that.

I cannot believe that YOU, of all people, would make a flying pig in the poke guesstimate like that, lol.

Lou Figueroa
love your stats :)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I learned a couple things this evening looking at Schmidt's Facebook page.

The table he was using has Simonis 760 cloth rather than 860, because of the high humidity in Monterey. He said he put a heater under the table (for what period of time I do not know) and it was still rather slow.

And his attempts apparently started back around November 19 and lasted about 30 days.

[Edit -- Bob Jewett says attempts were made on just 20 days.]

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And a comment from John on Facebook about the relative difficulty of 14.1 on 9-footers vs. 8-footers:

11/29
"Ok one thing I have to clear up. 14.1 on a 4x8 is easier then 9 ft . The breakshots , banks, position , billiards, shotmaking are all easier on 4x8. Now this will I’m sure spark a fb thread mile long why I’m incorrect. Save yourself typing and just trust me. I’ve played 14.1 plenty on 4x8 and it’s absolutely positively easier to make high runs on 4x8 is all things equal to nine foot."

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... As to the number of attempts, I don't know. How about a wild, calculated guess. From John's comments on Facebook, it appears that he tried for about 30 days (beginning Nov. 19) and played 5-8 hours per day. If he averaged about 4 attempts per hour for 6½ hours per day for 30 days, that would be 780 attempts. So give or take a few hundred from that.
In the most recent tries from November 19th to December 13th, 2018, John played on 20 of the days. The number of hours varied. He had a total of 64 runs of 100 or more. On Sunday the 25th in about eight hours of play he had 9 runs 100-199 and two other runs over 200 including a 240.

As for the total number of attempts, a separate (somewhat iffy) calculation estimated that he was 25% to run 100 or more on any given try, which would put his total tries at 256. I think there was no record of the tries under 100.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Here is an expanded video of the scratch: https://youtu.be/xBb6Bp496oQ

It looks to me like he has a lot of right side spin on the shot. It also looks like the measle ball is spinning on one of the measles towards the end. If the measle is slightly bulging, the ball can effectively be egg-shaped. A problem like this can only happen when there is enough side spin to keep the bulge on the cloth.

It looks like the pocket is a black hole! We saw nothing of the cueball after it entered the event horizon!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And a comment from John on Facebook about the relative difficulty of 14.1 on 9-footers vs. 8-footers:

11/29
"Ok one thing I have to clear up. 14.1 on a 4x8 is easier then 9 ft . The breakshots , banks, position , billiards, shotmaking are all easier on 4x8. Now this will I’m sure spark a fb thread mile long why I’m incorrect. Save yourself typing and just trust me. I’ve played 14.1 plenty on 4x8 and it’s absolutely positively easier to make high runs on 4x8 is all things equal to nine foot."

Which is the easier runout:
8ball on a 7 footer, or 8ball on a 9 footer, and why?

Lou Figueroa
discuss
compare
& contrast

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you serious? As you say, the best 14.1 player that is breathing on this earth posted a video online of him running 434 balls for you to watch...FOR FREE, and what you want to post in a public forum is a criticism of this run because the pockets are big?

I would like to Thank John Schmidt for sharing this video. Running 434 balls is a great lifetime accomplishment. He has achieved a level of human mastery in 14.1 that most people rarely achieve in any discipline. I am thankful that I have the opportunity to watch him play 14.1.

kollegedave

Exactly...somebody always has to play the Knocker.

He is trying to exceed the record on a similar table.

Breaking 400 on a Diamond is already tougher than what Mosconi did.

Hope he wakes up someday and runs 800...

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Which is the easier runout:
8ball on a 7 footer, or 8ball on a 9 footer, and why?

Lou Figueroa
discuss
compare
& contrast

Well, you'll find some people who will say a 7-footer is tougher for 8-Ball than a 9-footer (if the tables are similar other than their size) because of more congestion on the smaller table. [Perhaps you think the same logic applies for 14.1 on an 8-footer vs. a 9-footer.]

Well, I have zero experience or data for 14.1 on 8-footers. But I do have data for 8-Ball on 7-footers and 9-footers.

Here's a comparison I posted in 2015 showing that 8-Ball produced similar statistics on 7-footers and 9-footers for top players in some big events in 2014 and 2015: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5255675&postcount=3

And with the change from 7-footers to 9-footers in 2017 for the US Open 8-Ball Championship, I was able to compare stats for that event for the 2 years before the change (7-footers) versus the 2 years after the change (9-footers). That comparison was still close for some measures but leaned toward the 9-footers being a bit tougher overall: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6191685&postcount=9

As for 14.1 on 8-footers vs. 9-footers, until some experts who have played a lot of 14.1 on both sizes of tables (and I don't imagine we'll find many top pros who have ever played much 14.1 on 8-footers) say otherwise, I'm willing to believe what John Schmidt has to say on the topic. Post #71 above quotes him from a few weeks ago on Facebook, and here is what he posted on AzB in 2009:

• "for the record i think 14.1 on the bartable is easier than 9ft.

you can reach allbreakballs,combos and shots are a joke etc.

yes its more confined space but with the cueball control ive learned from 14.1 thats the last thing im worried about.

for the record the easiest table to play 14.1 is a 4x8 .ive played on them all and its the easiest no doubt. enough room to play but still easier on shotmaking,reaching,combos than 9ft."

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched the whole run. Brutal scratch. Cueball spun into the hole like I never seen. Too bad he drew off the rack so hard.

I think he got a bit distracted with things. Just taking the break, reracking and chatting with friends. He is such a terrific player. I think on this table he will inevitably get there.

4 years back I was working on straight pool for a couple months. Just bored of rotation games and looking for something to refocus my game. I ran over 100 six times. Best run I had was 168 balls. I missed an easy break shot along the bottom rail. So easy to think you are focused and lose it for an instant. Don't think I will ever exceed my high run...takes so much time and effort. Two things I am short on of late.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the most recent tries from November 19th to December 13th, 2018, John played on 20 of the days. The number of hours varied. He had a total of 64 runs of 100 or more. On Sunday the 25th in about eight hours of play he had 9 runs 100-199 and two other runs over 200 including a 240.

As for the total number of attempts, a separate (somewhat iffy) calculation estimated that he was 25% to run 100 or more on any given try, which would put his total tries at 256. I think there was no record of the tries under 100.

On November 28, John posted his results from the first 9 days of the attempts and said he had 20 more days to go. That's why I used 30 days in my wild, back-side estimate above. But I guess he managed just 11 more days of attempts after Nov. 28.

Does an average of just 13 tries per day sound right to you?

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, you'll find some people who will say a 7-footer is tougher for 8-Ball than a 9-footer (if the tables are similar other than their size) because of more congestion on the smaller table. [Perhaps you think the same logic applies for 14.1 on an 8-footer vs. a 9-footer.]

Well, I have zero experience or data for 14.1 on 8-footers. But I do have data for 8-Ball on 7-footers and 9-footers.

Here's a comparison I posted in 2015 showing that 8-Ball produced similar statistics on 7-footers and 9-footers for top players in some big events in 2014 and 2015: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=5255675&postcount=3

And with the change from 7-footers to 9-footers in 2017 for the US Open 8-Ball Championship, I was able to compare stats for that event for the 2 years before the change (7-footers) versus the 2 years after the change (9-footers). That comparison was still close for some measures but leaned toward the 9-footers being a bit tougher overall: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6191685&postcount=9

As for 14.1 on 8-footers vs. 9-footers, until some experts who have played a lot of 14.1 on both sizes of tables (and I don't imagine we'll find many top pros who have ever played much 14.1 on 8-footers) say otherwise, I'm willing to believe what John Schmidt has to say on the topic. Post #71 above quotes him from a few weeks ago on Facebook, and here is what he posted on AzB in 2009:

• "for the record i think 14.1 on the bartable is easier than 9ft.

you can reach allbreakballs,combos and shots are a joke etc.

yes its more confined space but with the cueball control ive learned from 14.1 thats the last thing im worried about.

for the record the easiest table to play 14.1 is a 4x8 .ive played on them all and its the easiest no doubt. enough room to play but still easier on shotmaking,reaching,combos than 9ft."

Do you have any stats on how many run outs there were on 9ftrs v 7ftrs?

Lou Figueroa