Post your fargorate;

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have two players with the same name how does fargorate determine which player the games played belong to?

Welcome to our nightmare ;-)

Games played in LMS are no problem--players are connected to the right record at the get go. That's now the majority of the games and growing fast.

Also, our soon-to-be-released APP has a "player card" with a scannable bar code and a photo. So you can imagine to direction things are going.

Other than that this is the kind of thing we wrestle with a lot now. We have straightforward ways to move games from one record to another when re realize there is an error. And we have straightforward ways to combine two records when we realize they are the same person, etc. If two players in the same state have the same name, we sometimes will add middle initials, for example.

Why are some players listed as living in one state when they actually live in another state?

Some players come into the system just from playing in a tournament that is uploaded. For instance, Music City is going on now. Suppose new player "Ricky Reardon" is on the bracket. We would add Ricky as being from TN, and maybe that has a 75% chance of being right. Then later, if Ricky starts showing up in weekly tournaments in Indiana or South Carolina, we may think it is likely the same player and change the state. It is a process...

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really wish we figured out a way to use Fargorate at DCC. Its the one tournament that brings tons of serious players together. Lots of players that want zero to do with leagues (like me) go to this one, and its the only major one they go to. This would go a long way to adding a large subset of serious but mid level players into the system. IMO.

Reactions: mvp

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently 675 with a robustness of 142, have had a high water mark of 719 but have only played a couple of events that were recorded and didn't play well in the last one. I think that 675 is reasonably close to where I am now with almost no play time lately.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have zero clue.A seven that is not ever going down but not going to dominate a league.An apa 7 with a 65% lifetime win ratio.Any guesses where that puts me?

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some players come into the system just from playing in a tournament that is uploaded. For instance, Music City is going on now. Suppose new player "Ricky Reardon" is on the bracket. We would add Ricky as being from TN, and maybe that has a 75% chance of being right. Then later, if Ricky starts showing up in weekly tournaments in Indiana or South Carolina, we may think it is likely the same player and change the state. It is a process...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the answers Mike. The one tournament that I played in was in another state and still hasn't showed up in the data that I know of. It's ok I played embarrassingly bad that day but you have to start somewhere. I'd like to get an established rating but it's hard to do because no tournaments anywhere near me report to fargorate.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Getting scores into the system does have a somewhat narrow path, there has to be some
kind of authenticity to the scores enter, bca and knowable sources is what it looks like now,
with 2 guys running the knobs and levers.

We finish up early in may, would still like to play, compete locally into the system,
but looks like its a no go..

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty much ignore the "starter rating" unless you have a reason to not ignore it. It is not part of the FargoRate system. It is just a guess used to help ease someone into having a Fargo Rating. Many are garbage. Others have some meaning --approximate translation from some other rating, for example.

Do you guys ever use gambling matches to help dictate
a FargoRate? For instance, one player is well known and
has a 750 FargoRate and is playing an unknown or I guy
that barely registers in the system. They're playing even
or the unknown is getting the 8 in 9 ball and he ends up
winning or playing several tight sets and falls just short.

Hope this makes sense. Just curious, because this would
seem a fairly good way to judge a virtual unknown's speed.
Perhaps it's all about tournament matches, but perhaps not.

Thanks in advance.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks in advance.

It absolutely is a good way to judge an unknown's speed. And gambling matches and private matches are potentially a source of valuable information. But the bigger picture is there is no effective way to separate the wheat from the chaff from the rat poison. We don't want people to be able to enter fraudulent data. For that reason, the things we enter are announced publicly in advance and results shared publicly with the world. So entering a publicly announced streamed match (like Shaw/Bergman) where we have decided in advance it will go in is fine.

But private matches, ladder matches, gambling matches that after the fact look like valuable information all don't go in. Yes, we lose good information. But we gain overall in data integrity.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For that reason, the things we enter are announced publicly in advance and results shared publicly with the world. ty.

Mike:

is there a way to view the data used to arrive at a rating?

Seems like the data was already used...so i dont see why it isnt possible to drill into a rated player to see how she got there.

Know whud imean?

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks in advance.

If a player is getting the last 2 or the 8(playing 9 ball), it would be hard to give him an exact rating. But if he is hanging with a 750 rated player getting just that little amount of weight...I would definitely give him a starter rating of 700.
Some players never play in leagues and rarely play in tournaments. They prefer to just match up and gamble. That's their choice and it's fine but if we pay attention to who and how they play...it gives a good gauge of how they play.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Welcome to our nightmare ;-)

Games played in LMS are no problem--players are connected to the right record at the get go. That's now the majority of the games and growing fast.

Also, our soon-to-be-released APP has a "player card" with a scannable bar code and a photo. So you can imagine to direction things are going.

Other than that this is the kind of thing we wrestle with a lot now. We have straightforward ways to move games from one record to another when re realize there is an error. And we have straightforward ways to combine two records when we realize they are the same person, etc. If two players in the same state have the same name, we sometimes will add middle initials, for example.

Some players come into the system just from playing in a tournament that is uploaded. For instance, Music City is going on now. Suppose new player "Ricky Reardon" is on the bracket. We would add Ricky as being from TN, and maybe that has a 75% chance of being right. Then later, if Ricky starts showing up in weekly tournaments in Indiana or South Carolina, we may think it is likely the same player and change the state. It is a process...

Another tricky situation is women who get married. I have a friend who is a 502 under her maiden name, and a 428 under her married name.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
735 currently. My high water mark was 743 a year ago and it's edged down since then. It might continue to drop as this still seems pretty high, but it's probably not off that much.

One thing I've learned is that there is a lot of range in my actual performance. Some matches I might turn in a 600 performance, others I might turn in an 800. I think elite players are very consistent but when you look at anyone under 770 or so there seems to be a huge gap between their good and bad days. I definitely feel it. So I've learned to take this rating with a grain of salt. It doesn't matter what the number says, if I hook myself or dog a ball I will lose!

So, I take it you're Joey Gray?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another tricky situation is women who get married. I have a friend who is a 502 under her maiden name, and a 428 under her married name.

Sure, happens all the time. Though I’ll bet at least one of those numbers is not a Fargo rating —. They are pretty far apart.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ship it!

Edit: Actually it's 507 and 428...

She doesn't have a Fargo Rating in either record, and she won't yet have one when they are combined. A rating requires 200 or more games.

She has 21 games in one record played at 428 speed
She has 36 games in another record played at 491 speed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 11.09.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 11.09.47 PM.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 322

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
She doesn't have a Fargo Rating in either record, and she won't yet have one when they are combined. A rating requires 200 or more games.

She has 21 games in one record played at 428 speed
She has 36 games in another record played at 491 speed

In that case, tell Oscar for me that I have no Fargo. Should help out my handicap in the Mezz events. ;)