The Color of Money (film 1986)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
You had to be a REAL pool-nut to enjoy PJ's. It had its moments but overall it was seriously LAME. Walken's bathroom lion scene is a classic tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzekDivpK3M

Lol....yes. I certainly never said it was a great movie, but it has some good scenes. I just remember how many of us thought, or hoped, it would spark new interest in the game. That's before seeing the movie, which didn't show in WV. I had to wait and buy it on DVD.

jchown

Registered
I always thought a cool spin on a sequel would be to have Vincent have a daughter, who becomes the protaganist

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For comparison, Color of Money is 9-ball. The Hustler is 14.1. It’s not just the games played in those movies respectively (it is). It’s a metaphore for each movie’s pacing. The Hustler requires some patience at certain points but if you have it you get to appreciate subtle nuances and beauty unique to that style of storytelling.

And third and final 'Hustler' movie? Why, One Pocket of course !

We could get The Freezer as the bad guy.. sorry, Keith!:cool:

I always thought COM should have been more about Eddie and less about Vincent
hamming it up.. all those connect-the-dot run outs.. the book was waaaay better.
My favorite scene in COM ?.. when Eddie takes Vincent to the pool room where they're
playing each other for the first time.. the houseman: "This here's Mr. Eddie Felson,
who are you?.. the king of the world??"

Last edited:

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As badly as I dislike Tom Cruise, I would still be glad to see a sequel to the color of money...
The pool scene could sure use the shot in the arm,& I hate to admit it, Tom has improved as an actor.

A whole generation or two of folks would recognize this and be likely to watch it.
(Itty bitty Tom Cruise is NOT Jack 6’ 4” Reacher by any stretch of the imagination)

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walter Tevis wrote 2 pool novels that each had the makings of a great movie. In one case the great movie was made, by adhering to the story lines and characters in the book. In the other case they abandoned everything but the movie name and the name of a character, swapped in some hack screenwriter's story, and made a lightweight movie that had nothing to do with the book. Too bad -- TCOM, the book, deserved better.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
If you like TCOM better than The Hustler, you are right. If you like The Hustler better than TCOM then you are also correct.

If you want to measure popularity, then you can take a poll, look at box office sales, ask a historian, critic or the even the pope for that matter! I’m sure he has an opinion too. None of this truly determines quality or superiority. Is popularity a quality, sure, maybe some might argue. Is B&W better than color film? Maybe, but I'm sure glad I'm not color blind.

I don't know why people insist on arguing over movies, art, singers, etc. Movies are a form of art and therefore subjective.

My point... accept them, judge them, experience them, enjoy them both for what they are and let others do the same. You will probably be a lot happier, but that's just my opinion.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I always thought COM should have been more about Eddie and less about Vincent
hamming it up.. all those connect-the-dot run outs.. the book was waaaay better.
My favorite scene in COM ?.. when Eddie takes Vincent to the pool room where they're
playing each other for the first time.. the houseman: "This here's Mr. Eddie Felson,
who are you?.. the king of the world??"

Cruise had some help with connect-the-dot run outs...
Check the 5 ball location before & after Eddie enters.

https://youtu.be/wLLBAB4yXGo

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member

first of all...Tom get away from the table.

second frame....not lined up

third frame...straight in.

TCOM.jpg

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
If you like TCOM better than The Hustler, you are right. If you like The Hustler better than TCOM then you are also correct.

If you want to measure popularity, then you can take a poll, look at box office sales, ask a historian, critic or the even the pope for that matter! I’m sure he has an opinion too. None of this truly determines quality or superiority. Is popularity a quality, sure, maybe some might argue. Is B&W better than color film? Maybe, but I'm sure glad I'm not color blind.

I don't know why people insist on arguing over movies, art, singers, etc. Movies are a form of art and therefore subjective.

My point... accept them, judge them, experience them, enjoy them both for what they are and let others do the same. You will probably be a lot happier, but that's just my opinion.

At the risk of being set on fire...I like Pool Hall Junkies better than TCOM.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
by miles…….:yeah:
Which is not to say TCOM is anything less than excellent and able to stand on its own. True, Tom Cruise is hard to like here, but he does a good job. Scorsese directs like he actually knows pool.
A minor quibble I had with the Hustler was Eddie going off like a maniac on the guy he beat which led to getting his thumbs broken. That scene detracted from an otherwise smart movie. Imho.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The East Coast edition had Paul Newman right side up and the West Coast edition did the same for Cruise. Newman got an Oscar for his part in this movie, partly as a payback from the Academy for overlooking his excellent portrayal of Fast Eddie years before in the original.

The Hustler would have done much better at the Awards if not for West Side Story taking pretty much all the major awards. Newman, Scott, and Piper Laurie were all nominated, if memory serves.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yep. And I absolutely hated that corny scene, mainly when Cruise starts twirling his cue like he's in a Chuck Norris movie. I've met a helluva lot of extremely arrogant players over the years, been accused of being that myself a few times too, but nobody ever acted like that around strangers. Among friends, showing off...sure, but even then nobody twirled a highend cue around like it was common house wood. Lol

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Yep. And I absolutely hated that corny scene, mainly when Cruise starts twirling his cue like he's in a Chuck Norris movie. I've met a helluva lot of extremely arrogant players over the years, been accused of being that myself a few times too, but nobody ever acted like that around strangers. Among friends, showing off...sure, but even then nobody twirled a highend cue around like is was a piece of common house wood. Lol

I'd be willing to bet that they used a "stand in" cue for the twirling scenes.

Maniac

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. And I absolutely hated that corny scene, mainly when Cruise starts twirling his cue like he's in a Chuck Norris movie. I've met a helluva lot of extremely arrogant players over the years, been accused of being that myself a few times too, but nobody ever acted like that around strangers. Among friends, showing off...sure, but even then nobody twirled a highend cue around like it was common house wood. Lol

See I think the scene was perfect because Vincent was corny, he was a flake.

If you saw Vincent in a pool room doing this and he was playing for good money, people would be lining up to play him.

We have this guy that has recently started coming to the bar. The first time I saw him I laterally said to my self ..."jesus, Vincent Lauria just walked into the room.

He is a pretty good shot...not great...or is he?

This guy wears a bandanna across his forehead.
Wears 2 or 3 good sized rings on each hand along with a shooting glove.
Wears 2 or 3 necklaces that hang on the pool table
Plaid shit un-tucked but pressed and ironed.
Stone washed jeans
Perfect white tennis shoes.

Before every shot, he twirls the stick in his right palm up and down and then puts his feet really close to each other, bends over and makes the shot.

I don't know the guy well enough to ask him if it is an act or not, but whether the guy knows it or not, he is a freaking genius. The guy plays all night. People can't wait to try and beat him.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As badly as I dislike Tom Cruise, I would still be glad to see a sequel to the color of money...
The pool scene could sure use the shot in the arm,& I hate to admit it, Tom has improved as an actor.

I don't mind seeing Tom Cruise in another pool movie, but not because he has improved as an actor...….

he plays the same smart-azz "Vincent" in every movie he makes...…...:rolleyes: