The Color of Money (film 1986)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Watched Hustler, TCOM, and PHJ all in the last few days :grin:
Jason<-----not watching 9 ball the movie again.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched Hustler, TCOM, and PHJ all in the last few days :grin:
Jason<-----not watching 9 ball the movie again.

Now just top it off with Baron and the Kid, Baltimore Bullet, and...wait for it...VIRGIN POCKETS! Now you got yourself a weekend!

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
TCOM is the worst movie Scorcese has ever done. It is the second worst movie Newman ever did.

And yet, the movie has gotten a huge following, and is received very well by MOST pool enthusiasts.

9 posts in..... and you're being labeled as a rude Carbon Fiber guru, that hates TCOM, taught yourself how to make 25 cues, and accused someone of "spouting internet BS".......

You're going places dude....... we've never seen anyone like your personality on this forum before.......:rolleyes:

Last edited:
And yet, the movie has gotten a huge following, and is received very well by MOST pool enthusiasts.

9 posts in..... and you're being labeled as a rude Carbon Fiber guru, that hates TCOM, taught yourself how to make 25 cues, and accused someone of "spouting internet BS".......

You're going places dude....... we've never seen anyone like your personality on this forum before.......:rolleyes:

I'm happy to know that you would rather see a guy spread disinformation than hear a guy call him out for it.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I'm happy to know that you would rather see a guy spread disinformation than hear a guy call him out for it.

This isn't a popularity contest on here..... you'll quickly find out that for the most part we're an accepting bunch of people.

There's no need to beat your chest, or whatever it is you think you're accomplishing. Welcome to the forum, new member.......

May your excursions into the carbon fiber industry make you rich and happy, and each of your 25 self-made cues shoot true until you claim to give Shaw the 6 out. I hope whatever it is your spreading, be it disinformation or otherwise, bring you what you're after. I hope it's not popularity:thumbup2:

Attachments

• Capture1234.JPG
    Capture1234.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 233

skinnyguinea

Registered
Hustler/Supporting cast

Among the many things that made The Hustler a great film were the outstanding performances by the supporting cast: Myron McCormack, Murray Hamilton and of course, Piper Laurie. Comparing these two films is oranges and apples, can't be done and shouldn't be.

As a personal aside, the very first scene was filmed in my hometown of Yonkers, NY.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love the sentiment, but Gleason had an extremely small role. On screen a lot, little dialog. I'd compare him to Forrest Whitaker.

The small amount of dialogue is one of the BEST parts of the film. That movie was made when silence was used as dialogue.

I like TCOM but I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise, it seems whenever you watch one of his movies you are watching Tom Cruise play "Vinnie", or Tom Cruise play Jerry Maguire as opposed to watching Boss Spearman being played by Robert Duvall. I just can't get the Tom Cruise out of the actor when watching his films. Top Gun might be the only exception.

GDC

GlenC
Silver Member
I watched that movie when it came out in theater ... and was the reason I started playing. Favorite line ... Orvis says, "You know who you got stakehorsin' here for you? This here's Fast Eddie Felson. Who the hell are you? The end of the world?"

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I watched that movie when it came out in theater ... and was the reason I started playing. Favorite line ... Orvis says, "You know who you got stakehorsin' here for you? This here's Fast Eddie Felson. Who the hell are you? The end of the world?"

Might be my favorite too:thumbup:
Jason

WVShootist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently watching it at work right now, while wildly jonesing to be standing at a table instead. lol

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My main complaint when I first saw it in the theaters was that it was a bait and switch. Having previously read the book it was obvious that they wanted to make a pool movie but had no confidence in it doing well unless they could bill it as a sequel to the Hustler. So, they basically made an essentially unrelated pool movie that had nothing to do with the world of the Hustler other than the name of the movie, the name of a character, and the actor playing that character. It was a decent pool movie, but had none of the complexity of character or nuance or moral ambiguity that the Hustler, book and movie, had and that the book TCOM had.