John Schmidt - How high will he go?

How high will he go

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it isn't in writing then it's not a real offer. You are correct about one thing - pocket cut won't matter if he gets to 527.

If I hit the lottery I'd put up some big money to have players make a run at it and if enough top players got together with big money at stake the record would eventually fall.

My offer stands. It was pretty simple. I will pay 10K for the full DVD/video rights to a complete run of over 526 balls. 5" pockets are okay with me.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is what makes 100% sense so keep your 2 cents.lol. Willie Mosconi would have broke 800 3-4 times. Mosconi never once had a table set up for weeks just to do high runs like John is doing. Mosconi would go from place to place run 100 or 125 or 150 and quit. If Mosconi continued just 10% of his exhibition runs 800 would have 100% happened especially with Simonis cloth and a table made as easy as the ones John is playing on.

FYI, the 526 run in Springfield, Ohio was not the only time that Mosconi continued to run balls after reaching 150. He probably continued runs as often as once a week. Usually it was at the behest of the room owner and the fans who were there watching. Plus, of course, what mood he was in that day. :)

I personally watched him run over 200 balls twice. I think he got to 220 or 230 on one of them. The bottom line is that running over 500 balls is not an easy thing to do, even if you spend your life trying. Think about all the great players who have made high runs and never got past 250 or 300. Believe me, they were all trying to beat Mosconi's record if they could.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My offer stands. It was pretty simple. I will pay 10K for the full DVD/video rights to a complete run of over 526 balls. 5" pockets are okay with me.

For the full rights, 10k would be stealing. You'd turn that 10k over and over again. Most any "smart" business person could/would but, the average pool player....lol....would only spend 10k and own a video.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, the 526 run in Springfield, Ohio was not the only time that Mosconi continued to run balls after reaching 150. He probably continued runs as often as once a week. Usually it was at the behest of the room owner and the fans who were there watching. Plus, of course, what mood he was in that day. :)

I personally watched him run over 200 balls twice. I think he got to 220 or 230 on one of them. The bottom line is that running over 500 balls is not an easy thing to do, even if you spend your life trying. Think about all the great players who have made high runs and never got past 250 or 300. Believe me, they were all trying to beat Mosconi's record if they could.
Exactly Jay. When Mosconi was doing exhibitions on different tables everyday and at multiple locations in the same day that would be about 10 exhibitions a week when he was doing them so 10 exhibitions a week and once a week he would continue 1 of them is exactly 10%. Mosconi did have a slight attitude about things but was very nice to me when I was lucky enough to be around him.
Im good friends with Nick Varner and I asked him how many times he ran over 200 and he said whats the purpose to run over even 150 because that's all the Tournaments went to so he would most of the time just quit at 150. Another player who could have easily ran 500 if he had a table especially set up and made easy to run such high runs as John has been doing.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude you’ve been dogging John Schmidt for 10 years or more on these forums. What’s the root issue?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I remember now. When JS used to post here a lot a decade ago, he asked who is this guy that runs 2 or 300 every year on the AZ challenge, but no one has a video of even 100 or so. Your avatar says 311 on a diamond at a world record? Where is the video of that? Or any other video? Did you touch any balls? Did you ever clean any balls? Did you ever mark any balls during run? Did you ever take a bathroom break during run?

I’m sorry to be an ass, but you’ve been an ass to JS for 10 solid years on here.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
This month Mr. 400 will try to break Mosconi's 526 record. Mid March 2019, 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for (how many?) weeks.

I wish him the best of luck. How high will he go?

It is supposed to be streamed live. Post a link here when it does.

I don't think he can do it. A friend of Mosconi's said that while willie was practicing one time, he ran 600. Not official and not recorded. Only witnesses by his friend.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta commend john for his efforts. I doubt there's another pro player that puts in the same amount of table time playing straight pool.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the full rights, 10k would be stealing. You'd turn that 10k over and over again. Most any "smart" business person could/would but, the average pool player....lol....would only spend 10k and own a video.

I made that offer several years ago when it was probably worth the equivalent of 20-25K now.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made that offer several years ago when it was probably worth the equivalent of 20-25K now.

How do you think the video rights could be monetized in today's digital world? IDK if youtube was even around when you first made that offer. The video now (if JS breaks the record) would be free to watch on Facebook or Youtube it seems as the stream is public for all to see. I have no dog in any video rights, just asking for pure curiosity how you would have made the video profitable and what you would have done with it.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Js

Here is what makes 100% sense so keep your 2 cents.lol. Willie Mosconi would have broke 800 3-4 times. Mosconi never once had a table set up for weeks just to do high runs like John is doing. Mosconi would go from place to place run 100 or 125 or 150 and quit. If Mosconi continued just 10% of his exhibition runs 800 would have 100% happened especially with Simonis cloth and a table made as easy as the ones John is playing on.

I think there is a misunderstanding about John's goal here.

John is not trying to prove himself a better player than Mosconi.
John is not trying to run more balls than anyone has ever run in their home room with no witnesses.
John is not trying to time travel back to the 50s and fight for world championship titles.

What he is trying to do is break the record for the longest straight verified and witnessed straight pool run.

Mosconi has nothing to do with it, other than the fact he happens to have the current record. Maybe Mosconi ran 1,000 on his own, maybe he wasn't trying his hardest or didn't feel like running more balls, maybe the equipment made the game ten times more difficult and if he played today he'd run a million. No one is diminishing Mosconi or saying anything about how JS compares to him.

This is how records fall. People try to beat them. We don't bar people from trying until they prove to a jury they are the superior pool player. JS gets his shot to try. If he wins, he gets the record. Nothing more, nothing less.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How do you think the video rights could be monetized in today's digital world? IDK if youtube was even around when you first made that offer. The video now (if JS breaks the record) would be free to watch on Facebook or Youtube it seems as the stream is public for all to see. I have no dog in any video rights, just asking for pure curiosity how you would have made the video profitable and what you would have done with it.

You might be right about that, since he's making his attempts on a live video. Maybe owning the DVD rights has no value any more. It was a good idea at the time. :rolleyes:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This may be your first mention of the offer on AzB: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4155756&postcount=28

The CPI is up about 8½% since then.

And that was for only 50% of the rights! Okay, I withdraw my offer! I will always reserve the right to change my mind, unless I've already signed on the dotted line. I've made good on more than one deal that I agreed to when I knew it was going to be a loser for me. I will keep my word once I've signed a deal or shook hands on it. I have not always gotten the same respect in return. More than a few times I've had a pool player renege on his agreement with me. All names withheld to protect the not so innocent. They know who they are and that's enough. Karma is a MF'er! :eek:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude you’ve been dogging John Schmidt for 10 years or more on these forums. What’s the root issue?

Honestly, the fact that he calls himself "Mr. 400", and wears the shirt, is a little off-putting in my humble opinion. Seems a bit arrogant.

However, I hope he does break the record but, to me it should be noted that this a new "modern era" record given the circumstances are substantially different.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I remember now. When JS used to post here a lot a decade ago, he asked who is this guy that runs 2 or 300 every year on the AZ challenge, but no one has a video of even 100 or so. Your avatar says 311 on a diamond at a world record? Where is the video of that? Or any other video? Did you touch any balls? Did you ever clean any balls? Did you ever mark any balls during run? Did you ever take a bathroom break during run?

I’m sorry to be an ass, but you’ve been an ass to JS for 10 solid years on here.
Lol. I dont need to make videos of me playing pool but when asked I posted a few on youtube but as stated before it's not my job and I don't need to benefit financially as I'm already rich.
Never cleaned polished or removed any balls anytime during any of my runs. The only breaks I ever took was to answer my phone or talk to people who wanted to ask questions or conversate. Simple things stated are in response to currents runs, rules and replies to comments of people wanting to compare the differences of Mosconi's pool playing of the past and someone trying to set records and the tables set up to do so and the rules which should be implied to be legitimate. Don't know why I replied to your comments as this is already known and posted many times.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Honestly, the fact that he calls himself "Mr. 400", and wears the shirt, is a little off-putting in my humble opinion. Seems a bit arrogant.

However, I hope he does break the record but, to me it should be noted that this a new "modern era" record given the circumstances are substantially different.
When dealing with pool players it's all about EGO. It's just the way it is. I have come to accept it. Ego can be what drives someone to get better, practice harder, grind it out in gambling matches, etc. Most good players can be a bit egotistical, but it can also be what drives them to continue to play at a high level.

The fact that pool is a sport where in any one game, literally anyone can win. That can be a tough pill to swallow for many that hate to lose. Have you ever beat a player in a casual game where they immediately get mad and challenge you to a money game? Happens all the time. Controlling one's ego is the key.

Ego will eventually get a pool player in trouble gambling. As we all know, there is always someone better. If you don't realize this, eventually, you could one day lose a small fortune when you are just sure that you have the best of it. JS lost 50k to Thorpe playing 1-pocket. He probably couldn't believe that a young buck could beat him. He and his backer learned the hard way.

I'm sure that JS's ego is what is driving him to do what he's doing right now, going for the record. You only live once, why not try to show the world how good or great you are?

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What would you pay for a run of 50 by a complete ball banger with cataracts on both eyes?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

not sure but i remember reading about some beef there, many years ago. but i think only one of them cares anymore and it's quite obvious who that is..

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When dealing with pool players it's all about EGO. It's just the way it is. I have come to accept it. Ego can be what drives someone to get better, practice harder, grind it out in gambling matches, etc. Most good players can be a bit egotistical, but it can also be what drives them to continue to play at a high level.

The fact that pool is a sport where in any one game, literally anyone can win. That can be a tough pill to swallow for many that hate to lose. Have you ever beat a player in a casual game where they immediately get mad and challenge you to a money game? Happens all the time. Controlling one's ego is the key.

Ego will eventually get a pool player in trouble gambling. As we all know, there is always someone better. If you don't realize this, eventually, you could one day lose a small fortune when you are just sure that you have the best of it. JS lost 50k to Thorpe playing 1-pocket. He probably couldn't believe that a young buck could beat him. He and his backer learned the hard way.

I'm sure that JS's ego is what is driving him to do what he's doing right now, going for the record. You only live once, why not try to show the world how good or great you are?

SVB and Efren have been showing the world how great they are without being arrogant. I'm just a bit more old school and am not a fan of arrogance whether it be in sports, work, life, etc.