John Schmidt - How high will he go?

How high will he go

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
SVB and Efren have been showing the world how great they are without being arrogant. I'm just a bit more old school and am not a fan of arrogance whether it be in sports, work, life, etc.
Yeah, I agree that not being arrogant is preferable. Efren is pretty rare though. He always, "got lucky". SVB isn't in the same category as Efren though IMO. Shane likes wearing expensive watches and clothes, so it's not like he doesn't flaunt his success a bit.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I agree that not being arrogant is preferable. Efren is pretty rare though. He always, "got lucky". SVB isn't in the same category as Efren though IMO. Shane likes wearing expensive watches and clothes, so it's not like he doesn't flaunt his success a bit.

Yes, I've seen Efren "get lucky" a few times. As far as SVB goes, I've never seen him mention a watch or jewelry and that, to me, is being modest to a T, wear it but don't flaunt it. I worked with a guy who wore a $15,000 Rolex, I never knew it until he took it off one day and I glanced at while sitting at his desk. EDIT: This took place after working and travelling with him for almost 2 years.

As far as JS goes, my statement stands that I hope he beats 526 but to me it's a different record - not any better and not any worse - just different.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I voted that he'll top Mosconi. This is just so many innings and John has committed years and years to this endeavor. I think his time has come and that years of dedicating himself to the pursuit of this record are about to pay off.

Assuming it's on moderate to loose pockets, I wouldn't even rule out his topping Cranfield's 768. John has the skills to do it.

Go get 'em, John. Records are made to be broken!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude you’ve been dogging John Schmidt for 10 years or more on these forums. What’s the root issue?

Maybe he cares about the integrity the game.

The 14.1 community is relatively small. Those that care about the game, how it's played, and its history is even a bit smaller. BC is one of the good guys in that regard.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I remember now. When JS used to post here a lot a decade ago, he asked who is this guy that runs 2 or 300 every year on the AZ challenge, but no one has a video of even 100 or so. Your avatar says 311 on a diamond at a world record? Where is the video of that? Or any other video? Did you touch any balls? Did you ever clean any balls? Did you ever mark any balls during run? Did you ever take a bathroom break during run?

I’m sorry to be an ass, but you’ve been an ass to JS for 10 solid years on here.

Here's the thing: you ask any 14.1 player what their high run is and you're guaranteed to get a quick, precise answer.

And for most players it's a honor thing to be truthful about it and specifically in BC's case I would completely believe whatever number he provided. But in some cases you want the video and that's not to say anything about the veracity of any particular player. It is simply an application of the Carl Sagan aphorism: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. You start talking about 400, 500 balls... I want the video.

Lou Figueroa

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made that offer several years ago when it was probably worth the equivalent of 20-25K now.

I think Jay is generous to offer $10K for the rights. If it's "stealing" then offer more.

So, someone records a 527 and Jay drops 10K for the rights. He will have to pay for production of DVDs should he go that route, and/or pay for the service of a website to "host" the video. Then he has to make it available via pay for download or subscription. All MORE overhead. Or, maybe he posts it via a "series" of YOUTUBE videos and makes them available to all - but gets paid by YOUTUBE for downloads/subscriptions and maybe a little advertising.

At $10K he's liable to turn a profit in the long term, but it's certainly no get rich quick scheme. I mean, I love straight pool -- but I'll be darned if I want to sit for hours watching someone run that many balls. I'd rather watch a competitive match of shorter runs between two players with safety play. That's often more interesting to watch IMO.

(Read back through the thread and see how late I am to the party...but I'll leave the content of my post up regardless)

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Jay is generous to offer $10K for the rights. If it's "stealing" then offer more.

So, someone records a 527 and Jay drops 10K for the rights. He will have to pay for production of DVDs should he go that route, and/or pay for the service of a website to "host" the video. Then he has to make it available via pay for download or subscription. All MORE overhead. Or, maybe he posts it via a "series" of YOUTUBE videos and makes them available to all - but gets paid by YOUTUBE for downloads/subscriptions and maybe a little advertising.

At $10K he's liable to turn a profit in the long term, but it's certainly no get rich quick scheme. I mean, I love straight pool -- but I'll be darned if I want to sit for hours watching someone run that many balls. I'd rather watch a competitive match of shorter runs between two players with safety play. That's often more interesting to watch IMO.

(Read back through the thread and see how late I am to the party...but I'll leave the content of my post up regardless)

Personally, I don't think there's any money in it.

No one outside a few diehards cares about 14.1 anymore. It's almost like a lost art. On those occasions I'm practicing 14.1, people will pass by my table and ask me WTF I'm doing.

Lou Figueroa

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Dennis Orcullo was consistently making 200s every year at the DCC 14.1 challenge event on Diamonds. Filler, who has the record of 285 at DCC (video on YouTube) is another contender, and Filler is a spring chicken.
A spry one at that. If he runs 527 it won't take long.

pj <- left handed, natch
chgo

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Certainly not trying to pour cold water on John's outstanding abilities...but, concentrating on breaking a world record, or any record, on a single set-up table/track/field, with repeated and unlimited attempts over months or years, is just not quite the same as creating a new record in a normal and natural manner, during competition, a game, tournament, event, or exhibition. It simply isn't the same.

Most "official" records, not including Guinness world bubble gum chewing records, are only valid if accomplished under the same, usually sanctioned and/or official circumstances that the original record was created under.

If a professional basketball player held the record for consecutive free throws made during regular season play, the playoffs, or the championship series; would someone who sets up a basket in his backyard and exceeds that number by one basket after years and thousands of attempts be credited with breaking the original record? Of course not.

I also understand that pool, as a sport, is not organized well enough to have enough "sanctioned" and "official" events to have accurate statistical data for all the various competitive levels like most major sports, nor does it even have official rules that can be used to determine how various "official" records are set. Perhaps I'm being too hard on pool and maybe it's unfair to compare pool to the "major" sports, but if we don't try and raise the standards we're willing to accept, we'll never move forward. Breaking a record in this manner just doesn't seem legitimate, not at all.

JMHO

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Certainly not trying to pour cold water on John's outstanding abilities...but, concentrating on breaking a world record, or any record, on a single set-up table/track/field, with repeated and unlimited attempts over months or years, is just not quite the same as creating a new record in a normal and natural manner, during competition, a game, tournament, event, or exhibition. It simply isn't the same.

Most "official" records, not including Guinness world bubble gum chewing records, are only valid if accomplished under the same, usually sanctioned and/or official circumstances that the original record was created under.

If a professional basketball player held the record for consecutive free throws made during regular season play, the playoffs, or the championship series; would someone who sets up a basket in his backyard and exceeds that number by one basket after years and thousands of attempts be credited with breaking the original record? Of course not.

I also understand that pool, as a sport, is not organized well enough to have enough "sanctioned" and "official" events to have accurate statistical data for all the various competitive levels like most major sports, nor does it even have official rules that can be used to determine how various "official" records are set. Perhaps I'm being too hard on pool and maybe it's unfair to compare pool to the "major" sports, but if we don't try and raise the standards we're willing to accept, we'll never move forward. Breaking a record in this manner just doesn't seem legitimate, not at all.

JMHO

I kinda agree.
However also that 526 world record is not made in competition so it is little bit grey area.
IMO what would ld definetely be "official" 14.1 record is that if they made it during DCC 14.1 challenge or any similar formula competition.

P. S Thanks to Bob, Dennis, Marop and others to made that happen. I was there too once. Too bad I was then on middle of little slump and could do only near 60..
Too bad also that DCC treated them with not enough respect and they now had enough. Top 3 event i ever competed.

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he will crack 400 again for sure. It would be kickass if he can break the record. I hope he does it!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
What would you pay for a run of 50 by a complete ball banger with cataracts on both eyes?

I can relate. A couple of years ago I tried to make a comeback to playing pool and decided to practice Straight Pool. I couldn't run two racks for about a week and finally got up to 43 balls and quit. My Diamond table defeated me! ;)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps it’s time for Predator to really step up here as the one sponsoring John during his attempts with a circuit of true “exhibitions” around the country. They should be held in the largest venues for say one week stints at/near various well-known major events that can tie in either before/during/after considering best options. Great accommodations and environment for the star here: John.

Again - exhibitions. For the exhibition record breaking attempts.

Timing that works with John’s schedule. Not expecting him to be a machine attempting repeated runs during nonstop, solo, Offensive 14.1 play.

Let’s get the fans and players involved!

$20/50/100 to play John in the Exhibition Match. Posters made up ahead of time. Social media blasting via Instagram and FB. Etc.

Games to 100.

Give John the chance to get started on his run like WM did - and we all do during league and match play. And then let him continue once on a run past 100 if he can do it. Otherwise - who’s next.

Predator can offer prizes to the competitors if they beat John during the 100 point match - and if the record is broken during their play with him, then it’s a future Commemorative cue and a $1000 min prize for being that opponent.

All of the extra exhibition funds raised by his opponent match fees go into the John’s pocket as well as the sponsor/club. Simple business. Showmanship. Excitement. Promotion.

With the right organizational skills that Predator and a large club should have, these special events could be truly amazing. And if Predator isn’t up for the task and challenge, well, perhaps it’s time someone else steps up to the plate.

~ K

Last edited:

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I can relate. A couple of years ago I tried to make a comeback to playing pool and decided to practice Straight Pool. I couldn't run two racks for about a week and finally got up to 43 balls and quit. My Diamond table defeated me! ;)

I get this. I ran a 50-something on my diamond nine footer and more or less gave it up. Great practice, but no one even knows how to play the game in my area. Now my table is in storage, and I'm trying to limp my new home construction over the finish line while remaining married. Tough times, but I'm surely looking forward to having my table set up again one day (hopefully this summer).

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Perhaps it’s time for Predator to really step up here as the one sponsoring John during his attempts with a circuit of true “exhibitions” around the country. They should be held in the largest venues for say one week stints at/near various well-known major events that can tie in either before/during/after considering best options. Great accommodations and environment for the star here: John.

Again - exhibitions. For the exhibition record breaking attempts.

Timing that works with John’s schedule. Not expecting him to be a machine attempting repeated runs during nonstop, solo, Offensive 14.1 play.

Let’s get the fans and players involved!

$20/50/100 to play John in the Exhibition Match. Posters made up ahead of time. Social media blasting via Instagram and FB. Etc.

Games to 100.

Give John the chance to get started on his run like WM did - and we all do during league and match play. And then let him continue once on a run past 100 if he can do it. Otherwise - who’s next.

Predator can offer prizes to the competitors if they beat John during the 100 point match - and if the record is broken during their play with him, then it’s a future Commemorative cue and a $1000 min prize for being that opponent.

All of the extra exhibition funds raised by his opponent match fees go into the John’s pocket as well as the sponsor/club. Simple business. Showmanship. Excitement. Promotion.

With the right organizational skills that Predator and a large club should have, these special events could be truly amazing. And if Predator isn’t up for the task and challenge, well, perhaps it’s time someone else steps up to the plate.

~ K

If John somehow breaks Mosconi's record, he could go on an exhibition tour playing Straight Pool matches ala Mosconi and Caras and make some decent money imo. People would want to see him play in person and have their photo taken with him. A good agent could get him booked on TV talk shows to talk about breaking a 60+ year old record set by a sports icon.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If John somehow breaks Mosconi's record, he could go on an exhibition tour playing Straight Pool matches ala Mosconi and Caras and make some decent money imo. People would want to see him play in person and have their photo taken with him. A good agent could get him booked on TV talk shows to talk about breaking a 60+ year old record set by a sports icon.

Sounds like you think pool is more popular here than it actually is.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kinda agree.
However also that 526 world record is not made in competition so it is little bit grey area.
IMO what would ld definetely be "official" 14.1 record is that if they made it during DCC 14.1 challenge or any similar formula competition.

P. S Thanks to Bob, Dennis, Marop and others to made that happen. I was there too once. Too bad I was then on middle of little slump and could do only near 60..
Too bad also that DCC treated them with not enough respect and they now had enough. Top 3 event i ever competed.

The biggest difference is that Mosconi walked in and did in one take.

He didn't set up a table for a month and keep going at it over and over and over.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You are living in a fantasy world -- no one (except us) cares.

Lou Figueroa