John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to say I’m super impressed the mainstream media reports thus far didn’t use any of the typical “pool shark” angles.

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
LOL.

Just curious, which of Willie Mosconi, Ralph Greenleaf or Irving Crane missed out on your top three of all time list?

And, of course, who in their right mind would suggest that John has eclipsed any of Steve Mizerak, Mike Sigel, Jimmy Caras, Joe Balsis, Ray Martin, Allen Hopkins, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe, Dallas West, Lou Butera, Luther Lassiter, Dan DiLiberto, Pete Margo, Oliver Ortmann, Ralf Souquet, Niels Feijen or Thorsten Hohmann?

I think we can safely say you are either misinformed or unaware of most of the accomplishments of the players I've mentioned. No way can John be considered above any of the twenty players I mentioned in the game's history.

Pre 1980's there were only 15-20 guys who had a legit chance of winning major tournaments.......less than that pre 1950's. Those guys never missed a ball :rolleyes:. They might not seem so great if >50 guys could shoot back at their asses.

We'll never know......what, 1-3 SP tournaments a year? I'd bet my cash that JS would do very well against all those guys day in day out. Who else has ?6 runs >400 and a 626?

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I want to say I’m super impressed the mainstream media reports thus far didn’t use any of the typical “pool shark” angles.

Good point. I'm pleasantly surprised. Then again, its awfully hard to use the pool shark imagery when a record is set in the absence of an opponent.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe thats why its not been released yet, he plans on making some money for it
id pay for it

a professional dvd id buy for sure

Me too!!!

It would take a HUGE MORON to show the raw footage for free, drop the mic <<<<< right there!

Look, some say:

"a lot of pros could've broke the record but they didn't have an incentive"....yadda, yadda etc...etc....

Well, I call BS on that statement. Sure, a "few" of the elite pros could've but they would've had to put their entire life as they know it, on hold and play 14.1 around the clock. Even then, there would've been a lot of disappointed pros/fans.

Not to mention, "IF" Dennis, Shane, Shaw...."any" of the elite pros had done the work to break the decades old record, do you think they would've even acknowledged that AZB even existed, much less put the "historical" video up for free? Not a chance. Heck, I highly doubt that 90% of elite have even once in their life looked at AZB's site.

Ontop of that, would DO, Shane or the rest have shown the "raw footage"....."at all", much less, for free? No way!!!!, no how.

Like you, I would like have a professional DVD but, like Lou, I would also like to have a copy of the raw (EXPENSIVE) footage.

How much is it worth? Well, how much would a video of WM running the 526 be worth? That's how much JS's video is worth. Heck, maybe even more.

I know all ^^^^^^^ reads like I'm a fan of John and pulling against Willie. Well, I'm a HUGE fan of ANYTHING Willie but, when it comes to John Schmitt, I'm really only interested in his 14.1 play.

Bottom line:

I'm a huge fan of 14.1. Always have been, always will be. Which means, I'm a HUGE fan of Willie Mosconi......and........John Schmidt too.

How can anyone say they love or even like 14.1, say they dont feel the same as I do?

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL.

Just curious, which of Willie Mosconi, Ralph Greenleaf or Irving Crane missed out on your top three of all time list?

And, of course, who in their right mind would suggest that John has eclipsed any of Steve Mizerak, Mike Sigel, Jimmy Caras, Joe Balsis, Ray Martin, Allen Hopkins, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe, Dallas West, Lou Butera, Luther Lassiter, Dan DiLiberto, Pete Margo, Oliver Ortmann, Ralf Souquet, Niels Feijen or Thorsten Hohmann?

I think we can safely say you are either misinformed or unaware of most of the accomplishments of the players I've mentioned. No way can John be considered above any of the twenty players I mentioned in the game's history.

Hiw about this:

John Schmidt has the highest 14.1 run in history, that can be proven.....beyond doubt.

Regardless of what you/me/anyone thinks about John, it's a fact and nothing short of someone running 627 balls "ON VIDEO" will change that......period.

Jeff

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
We'll never know......what, 1-3 SP tournaments a year? I'd bet my cash that JS would do very well against all those guys day in day out. Who else has ?6 runs >400 and a 626?

Who cares if he has 100 runs of 400+? His track record in competition is pretty forgettable, and how you play when someone is firing back at you is and always has been the measure of excellence in our sport. The level of 14.1 is quite a bit lower than it was during the straight pool era. Only a few play straight pool more than a few times a year. John hasn't done especially well competing in straight pool against his contemporaries, so he wouldn't figure to hold his own against the all-time greats of the discipline, now would he?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pre 1980's there were only 15-20 guys who had a legit chance of winning major tournaments.......less than that pre 1950's. Those guys never missed a ball :rolleyes:. They might not seem so great if >50 guys could shoot back at their asses.

STOP MAKING SENSE!!!!!!!!

Your gonna confuse some people here and they don't need help being confused, they, like myself are already confused when we open our eyes each and every morning we wake up.

I know my measly greens dont mean much and I cant rep while on my phone (for some odd reason) but, I'm gonna send you some greens ASAP!

Jeff

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Who cares if he has 100 runs of 400+? His track record in competition is pretty forgettable, and how you play when someone is firing back at you is and always has been the measure of excellence in our sport. The level of 14.1 is quite a bit lower than it was during the straight pool era. Only a few play straight pool more than a few times a year. John hasn't done especially well competing in straight pool against his contemporaries, so he wouldn't figure to hold his own against the all-time greats of the discipline, now would he?

But he is still improving. He may be ready to beat his contemporaries now. He should definitely have the self confidence now.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hiw about this:

John Schmidt has the highest 14.1 run in history, that can be proven.....beyond doubt.

Regardless of what you/me/anyone thinks about John, it's a fact and nothing short of someone running 627 balls "ON VIDEO" will change that......period.

Jeff

Yup, and Ray Martin has won three World Straight Pool Championships ('71, '74 and '78, I believe), and nothing other than someone else winning four of them will cause me to say they are definitely better than Ray.

How does what happens at the practice table even compare to what happens in the heat of battle?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, and Ray Martin has won three World Straight Pool Championships ('71, '74 and '78, I believe), and nothing other than someone else winning four of them will cause me to say they are definitely better than Ray.

How does what happens at the practice table even compare to what happens in the heat of battle?

Ok, John was feeling "zero" pressure from the first ball, all the way to 626. I understand now.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ok, John was feeling "zero" pressure from the first ball, all the way to 626. I understand now.

That's right, relative to the pressure a finalist in a world championship feels in the heat of battle, this is almost no pressure at all. Ray didn't have the luxury of knowing that he would have another 10,000 innings (John's estimate of his innings in the past year, not mine) in which to achieve his goal were he to make an error.

I was there when Ray reached the final in 1978 and he had to face the defending world straight pool champion Allen Hopkins in the final. Now that's pressure, because every single mistake might be your last.

Last edited:

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Excellent testimonial for his cue chalk.

"626 consecutive shots without a single miscue".

I fully expect to read that somewhere.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's right, relative to the pressure a finalist in a world championship feels in the heat of battle, this is almost no pressure at all. Ray didn't have the luxury of knowing that he would have another 10,000 innings (John's estimate of his innings in the past year, not mine) in which to achieve his goal were he to make an error.

I was there when Ray reached the final in 1978 and he had to face the defending world straight pool champion Allen Hopkins in the final. Now that's pressure, because every single mistake might be your last.

I was being sarcastic! I understand pressure as well as anyone.

Let me ask you something? Which situation would put more pressure on you?

Playing in a world champ tournament or playing for "x".

BTW.....x = "most important thing in life to you".

I'm pretty sure Ray would trade being a two-time champ to add a record that would will stand for 75 to 100 years...maybe longer vs a title that is won by a different player every year.

I understand that consecutive or cumulative wins are different but, we are gonna have to agree to disagree Sir!

I admire some of your writing but, this isn't one of them. To me, your way off base.

In closing, I've had lessons from Ray. I will not say in public what I heard him say about Willie's record but, I will say this, Ray knew he could NEVER run that many balls REGARDLESS of what was on the line.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Willie was at his peak and played on the same table John just used and spent the same number of hours at the table as John has in his attempts, how many balls do you think this record would be?

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
If Willie was at his peak and played on the same table John just used and spent the same number of hours at the table as John has in his attempts, how many balls do you think this record would be?

Same age ? Willie was 6 or 7 years John’s junior when he went off.
Just got in this thread and only looked at your post....

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member

It seems like your asking how long could the man stay awake playing pool without missing. 60 an hour * 8 hours is 480 balls and so maybe in the thousand area if he took a shot every 30 seconds? with breaks and a long day it could reach the 2,000's theoretically.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh man, there is no telling. Willie, like John, was a 14.1 machine except, Willie was a level above John. Then again, Willie was a level above EVERYONE else on the planet.

Willie, at his peak was in a class "by himself".....bar none but, Willie ain't here anymore (RIP).

So, we have John Schmidt as the "KING" of high runs in 14.1 until someone has the skill/willpower to grind through 626 balls.

Eventually, just like Willie's 526, someone will break John's 626. Who will it be? when will it be? By how much?

I hope I'm alive to see it regardless if its next week (very, very doubtful) or decades from now (they better get to work cause I may not have.....many decades left..lol).