No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets.

For players and not home recreational bangers: Pro Cut Pockets or Buckets?

• Total voters

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's use cornhole for an example...
Some people like big cornholes...

Some people like tight cornholes...

And some people think you shouldn't be
allowed to have a few beers, have a good time with friends, and play with loose cornholes. You have to be serious every second you are playing with a cornhole, and if you can't play with a tight cornhole, you are not allowed to play with any cornhole.

I'm all in on tight cornholes. I think I'll start a poll to see how many cornhole trolls come out.

Just spit my coffee out....

Jeff

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4" diamond pro-am pockets on a 9'er...whew...

Most strong shortstops and pros don't like playing matches on 4" pockets when playing most games. Tiny pockets ruins certain games and you know it.

Glenn, you've been around pool players of all levels for a LOOONNNGGGG time and you know that most players with the skills below true shortstop speed down to someone thats just above a banger would never "truly" want to play on 4" pockets. They may "claim" they want 4" pockets but, I think you know better.

If anyone thinks most people wants to, or can play on 4" corners and be even close to successful, well, lol....I want them to tell me where all these 4" pocket killers are.

I just don't see it.

Heck, most people don't even like playing 9' diamonds with 4.5" corners. If they all had 4" corners, well....lol....ro9ms would be closing left and right. That's one reason all rooms are full of bar boxes.

Jeff

I don't know the exact specs, and of course the balls are a bit smaller , but don't snooker tables have 3.5" corners?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes 4" pockets on a 9' sound big, if someone is used to playing on a 12' with 3.5" pockets. I personally never played on any pool table that plays as hard as a 12' snooker table.
Its somewhat relative seeing how tournament snooker balls are only 2&1/16". I played on the table(STAR) at Jamaica Joes and it played great. Size is definitely a factor. Long shots look like you need a rifle scope.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sample size is so pathetically small that this "poll" is totally meaningless. Another bright and shiny object and all the fish fell for the bait. Life is good.
I tend to agree here. The sample is way, way too small to be accurate. I still don't get the reason behind it other than to make the guy feel good about his opinion. Hell, i voted his way and still don't think poll means diddly. For 112 people to vote on a forum of over 60,000 members does not even come close to "most" people. 79% of 112 is meaningless other than to make the poller feel good.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I never said anything was a FACT, it is a poll and does show that a lot of people who are active people who post on here agree with tighter pockets. What I will say: the poll supports this, is this:

My opinions are based on my experience in the field. I service the 3 local rooms in town 1 Diamond and 2 Brunswick. The Diamond room= All players who love tight tables. 2 Brunswick rooms all recreational players and old timers. The Diamond room opened because of the lack of tight tables for the local players. So basically the owner of the 2 Brunswick rooms CREATED a need for another room by not listening to the players. Diamond is selling more "players" tables than anyone in the market right now, I am comfortable saying that 95% of their tables are standard pro cut tables no matter the size of the table. Rasson is the new player in the table game and pro cut is their standard as well. The poll I created is very specific about actual players and not the recreational player market at all. My customer base is also another indicator of what is popular, Diamond or Brunswick, most of them, 90% all want a tight playing table. Toledo area only has 400k people in it, I am sure in larger markets the numbers would be even further in favor of what I am saying.

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

P.s. The Diamond room has leagues 7 nights a week and cranks out a ton of business from their tight Diamond pockets= All players and very very few recreational bangers.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said anything was a FACT, it is a poll and does show that a lot of people who are active people who post on here agree with tighter pockets. What I will say: the poll supports this, is this:

My opinions are based on my experience in the field. I service the 3 local rooms in town 1 Diamond and 2 Brunswick. The Diamond room= All players who love tight tables. 2 Brunswick rooms all recreational players and old timers. The Diamond room opened because of the lack of tight tables for the local players. So basically the owner of the 2 Brunswick rooms CREATED a need for another room by not listening to the players. Diamond is selling more "players" tables than anyone in the market right now, I am comfortable saying that 95% of their tables are standard pro cut tables no matter the size of the table. Rasson is the new player in the table game and pro cut is their standard as well. The poll I created is very specific about actual players and not the recreational player market at all. My customer base is also another indicator of what is popular, Diamond or Brunswick, most of them, 90% all want a tight playing table. Toledo area only has 400k people in it, I am sure in larger markets the numbers would be even further in favor of what I am saying.

P.s. The Diamond room has leagues 7 nights a week and cranks out a ton of business from their tight Diamond pockets= All players and very very few recreational bangers.
Whatever dude. Still, 112 votes is nothing. You believe what you want but this poll proves nothing other than to make you feel good about all the stuff you just said. The sample is way to small to mean anything. AZ has over 60,000 members. I'll go easy on ya, get 1/3 to vote. 20,000 would probably be a big enough poll to say "most" people. 112?? Not hardly. Why is this important to you? So you can tell people your theory on pocket size is valid? Apparently 80% of the grand sum of 112 people agree(including me,btw). It still proves nothing based on the turnout.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Club tables do. Tournament tables are usually 3.25

Wow. Makes a pool table seem sloppy. At 3.25" a snooker ball that's 36" from the pocket has less than +/- 1° room for error! On a pool table a ball would need be over 5 feet away before that amount accuracy is required.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Let's use cornhole for an example...
Some people like big cornholes...

Some people like tight cornholes...

And some people think you shouldn't be
allowed to have a few beers, have a good time with friends, and play with loose cornholes. You have to be serious every second you are playing with a cornhole, and if you can't play with a tight cornhole, you are not allowed to play with any cornhole.

I'm all in on tight cornholes. I think I'll start a poll to see how many cornhole trolls come out.

Lmao, still!

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are the Bob I have seen play, and played against in the past (at Greenway, and/or the Loft)... then you are one or almost one generation ahead of me. If you are still comfortable playing on 4 1/2 props to you! You played strong back then, and apparently still do..... gives me some hope!:smile:

Td

Sorry, not the Bob you are thinking of, moved from NW IL to AZ last year. Just play at our rec center now.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Whatever dude. Still, 112 votes is nothing. You believe what you want but this poll proves nothing other than to make you feel good about all the stuff you just said. The sample is way to small to mean anything. AZ has over 60,000 members. I'll go easy on ya, get 1/3 to vote. 20,000 would probably be a big enough poll to say "most" people. 112?? Not hardly. Why is this important to you? So you can tell people your theory on pocket size is valid? Apparently 80% of the grand sum of 112 people agree(including me,btw). It still proves nothing based on the turnout.

What ever dude, AHAHAHAHAHA. You don't have to agree. Go ahead, keep wasting your time. Not going to change a damn thing.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know the exact specs, and of course the balls are a bit smaller , but don't snooker tables have 3.5" corners?

Watch some pro snooker. Pay attention to how often you see a snooker player spin the cue ball around.

I can save you some time and tell you this:

It would be easier to find a unicorn than to find a snooker player that spins the cue ball as much as the average pool player.

The two mixes like oil and water.

There is a reason pocket billiard tables are made different form snooker tables, just like there is a reason snooker balls are tiny compared to pool balls.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no comparison from snooker to pool....none. ask a pro snooker player...lol... they will laugh if someone tells them pool and snooker are anything alike.

Sometimes I wonder if the majority of AZB plays more pool or spends more time on a computer typing.....like me:grin:

On a serious note, it's starting to look obvious that few here play snooker at a very competitive level.

A very simple poll, even with a bit of leading....has become more of an argument.

I swear, I'm starting to think that the old ladies down the street from me argue less than we do. Thats saying a lot..lol...those old ladies are at it 24/7.

Jeff

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What ever dude, AHAHAHAHAHA. You don't have to agree. Go ahead, keep wasting your time. Not going to change a damn thing.

Why all defensive now?? I agree with you on pocket size and better players. What i don't agree with is your poll. Its sadly flawed just based on the numbers alone. For you, or anyone else, to say that a poll with 113 votes represents "most" people is ludicrous. Also, they way you worded it skews it your direction as well. I'm glad that the outcome makes you feel good about your stance.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Watch some pro snooker. Pay attention to how often you see a snooker player spin the cue ball around.

I can save you some time and tell you this:

It would be easier to find a unicorn than to find a snooker player that spins the cue ball as much as the average pool player.

The two mixes like oil and water.

There is a reason pocket billiard tables are made different form snooker tables, just like there is a reason snooker balls are tiny compared to pool balls.

Jeff

Good point. Snooker players tend to stay on the vertical center axis of the cb, using only follow, center, and draw.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point. Snooker players tend to stay on the vertical center axis of the cb, using only follow, center, and draw.
They do use "side" as they call it but not a whole lot. I've seen O'Sullivan play a few incredible shots where he spun the s^*t out of whitey.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
[QUOTE=trentfromtoledo;6522767]
Ahahahahaha!

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 0C02BD80-D594-4BFA-A8FD-D36EE7A8E60C.jpeg
    0C02BD80-D594-4BFA-A8FD-D36EE7A8E60C.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 109
  • FFF114EE-269F-4850-91F0-2AFFE20554E9.jpeg
    FFF114EE-269F-4850-91F0-2AFFE20554E9.jpeg