Frank Paradise Tribute Cue

art2parts

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’ve been making some Frank Paradise tribute cues, which is to say it is made in that style, but not a replica cue.

I love the style of the classic cues and this one has that look. You could go out and buy an original Paradise or early Palmer, but this is a better choice in many ways. First, no fear of damaging a collectible cue by treating it like an everyday player. Secondly, cues from that era were shorter and had fatter butts. Modern cues are longer and the butt diameter has thinned down over the years. Lastly, if you decide to go out and buy an original Paradise or Palmer window cue as you next playing cue it will carry someone else's name in the clear window that many of them had. What fun is that?

What I am offering is a brand new handmade custom cue in the classic style of a Frank Paradise cue, but using modern materials, dimensions, and tasteful styling. Furthermore, it will have your name under the window in the same style and fonts as the original Paradise Cues would have had. Who wouldn't love that?

I’ve been getting around $1300 for one, but I am going to let five go at a very low price to raise some cash for another product I am working on. If you go here you can find pictures and additional detail. Sorry I couldn't post them directly. You can also PM me for details, but give me time to respond due to holiday travel.

Hope you like it and Merry Christmas

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I checked out the link and you seem like you are producing a very nice looking, seemingly high quality cue.
I’m basing my comments on the photos but the cue presented looked like it was very nicely finished.

art2parts

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out the link and you seem like you are producing a very nice looking, seemingly high quality cue.
I’m basing my comments on the photos but the cue presented looked like it was very nicely finished.
Thanks Bavafongoul.

They are nice cues and I appreciate the comment. Hopefully a few guys here will give one a try. I've been making cues for 30 years now, but its more of a passion and a hobby for me. Got into it honestly, because my own playing cues were getting ridiculously expensive. :) I don't hype them much, because they sell well in my local market and the "I know a guy who knows a guy network."

Starting to get into the carbon fiber shaft thing now too and those hit really well. Doing something a little different there that really improves the feel and feedback over the ones I have tried. A lot of guys in Central Florida using them now. I may also make another version of the Paradise Tribute with reverse points like the Black Zephyr and offer it with carbon fiber also so its black to black which might look nice.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
421   0   0
my mistake

oops

i thought i was on the main forum and began a new thread

Last edited:

art2parts

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks BlackMDX

So for those that didn't click on the link I provided before I finally made it to a hotel room where I could post some pictures, Here's what I have....

FPT_4-550x550h.jpg

FPT_1-550x550h.jpg

FPT_2-550x550h.jpg

https://www.cuecrafters.com/image/cache/catalog/Product-Pics/Paradise Tribute/FPT_3-550x550h.jpg

I've decided to make just five of these at $950 each to raise some money and attention for another project I am working on. That's a good price but what makes it even better is that I would include a free carbon fiber shaft with that cue, but only if its purchased though my kickstarter I am doing for the other project. Just want to make sure that ends successfully and its a good way for me to draw attention to that and a good deal for a few people. Of course the shafts alone are available and those are discounted as well. The comments and the interests have been great. Have a look and Happy Holidays.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Any background on you as the builder you'd like to share? You state you've been building cues for around 30 years; are you self-taught, or did you learn from the other great builders in the state of Florida? What is your name, other than the AZB screen name?
This info may help move some cues; most don't like to purchase from makers in the dark.

Good luck, they look like really nicely made cues.

art2parts

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, I get that. I started making cues in 89 and intially was self taught and did it purely as a hobby, because I liked playing pool and I like building things. This hobby incorporated both those things. I sold a number of them as Strader Custom Cues for many years and was listed in the second and third blue book of cues series. Some time or another back in the early 90s I trained under Dennis Dieckman who helped me refine what I learned on my own. I worked with him back when he was writing his cue building book and did some editing and proof reading for him. I still have the full never released book, videos, and the dimensioned butterfly blanks he used in the videos. I stayed in touch with him for years and eventually drifted apart due to the distance. I get it when you say you have never heard of me because you probably wouldn't if you weren't in my area or actively searching, because I never pursued cues as a full time gig. I do a lot of repair/restoration work in my area and sell most of my stuff locally and occasionally through eBay. Too much comfort in my current career and I have a child with special needs so the safety net of a 9 to 5 job is essential. I work as an automation/manufacturing engineer, but even that is wrapped into my love of cues and pool. That background plays a role in design and I build all of my own equipment. Am I a Richard Black or a Thomas Wayne or any number of famous makers...no, but I make a good product at a fair price. Primarily, because I don't have a make a living at it. I just enjoy doing it and I like to see people enjoy playing with them. Oh, and I skipped past on of the things you were asking. The CueCrafters name is entirely new and was adopted because I had a plan at one point to create a marketplace where people like you and I could gather for the sole purpose of buying and selling custom cues. I moved away from that because of the liability of it but kept the name because I liked it. Now, with the carbon fiber shafts and other stuff I have been making I am considering running this hobby as more of a business after all these years so that my wife can stop working and stay home with my daughter when she ages out of day care. I think it would be a nice home based business they can help with and is something I have always enjoyed. You are supposed to do what you love, right?

I hope this gives you some comfort. I understand I am not a known quantity, because I have been making cues and doing repairs in the background for so many years, but it's also reflected in my pricing. 950 for a cue like that including a free carbon fiber shaft that everyone else is selling for 385 to 500 dollars for the shaft alone is a pretty safe gamble I think. The shafts play nice. Very solid hit and I own several of the high end CF shafts from others and always let my customers hit mine along side others. I haven't had a single player yet not pick mine, but there again I realize you'd have to take my word for it.

Dave

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Absolutely, I get that. I started making cues in 89 and intially was self taught and did it purely as a hobby, because I liked playing pool and I like building things. This hobby incorporated both those things. I sold a number of them as Strader Custom Cues for many years and was listed in the second and third blue book of cues series. Some time or another back in the early 90s I trained under Dennis Dieckman who helped me refine what I learned on my own. I worked with him back when he was writing his cue building book and did some editing and proof reading for him. I still have the full never released book, videos, and the dimensioned butterfly blanks he used in the videos. I stayed in touch with him for years and eventually drifted apart due to the distance. I get it when you say you have never heard of me because you probably wouldn't if you weren't in my area or actively searching, because I never pursued cues as a full time gig. I do a lot of repair/restoration work in my area and sell most of my stuff locally and occasionally through eBay. Too much comfort in my current career and I have a child with special needs so the safety net of a 9 to 5 job is essential. I work as an automation/manufacturing engineer, but even that is wrapped into my love of cues and pool. That background plays a role in design and I build all of my own equipment. Am I a Richard Black or a Thomas Wayne or any number of famous makers...no, but I make a good product at a fair price. Primarily, because I don't have a make a living at it. I just enjoy doing it and I like to see people enjoy playing with them. Oh, and I skipped past on of the things you were asking. The CueCrafters name is entirely new and was adopted because I had a plan at one point to create a marketplace where people like you and I could gather for the sole purpose of buying and selling custom cues. I moved away from that because of the liability of it but kept the name because I liked it. Now, with the carbon fiber shafts and other stuff I have been making I am considering running this hobby as more of a business after all these years so that my wife can stop working and stay home with my daughter when she ages out of day care. I think it would be a nice home based business they can help with and is something I have always enjoyed. You are supposed to do what you love, right?

I hope this gives you some comfort. I understand I am not a known quantity, because I have been making cues and doing repairs in the background for so many years, but it's also reflected in my pricing. 950 for a cue like that including a free carbon fiber shaft that everyone else is selling for 385 to 500 dollars for the shaft alone is a pretty safe gamble I think. The shafts play nice. Very solid hit and I own several of the high end CF shafts from others and always let my customers hit mine along side others. I haven't had a single player yet not pick mine, but there again I realize you'd have to take my word for it.

Dave

That's great, Dave; thank you. I'm sure this will definitely help you in the long run. I understand your situation completely as I, too, have a child with special needs. Your cues look great and the price is outstanding. I have several on order at this time, so I'm not in a position to buy a the moment. Though, I would like to try one of your cues in the near future. They're exactly my style.

Good luck & Merry Christmas.

Josh

art2parts

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great, Dave; thank you. I'm sure this will definitely help you in the long run. I understand your situation completely as I, too, have a child with special needs. Your cues look great and the price is outstanding. I have several on order at this time, so I'm not in a position to buy a the moment. Though, I would like to try one of your cues in the near future. They're exactly my style.

Good luck & Merry Christmas.

Josh
I hope so. Thanks Josh and Merry Christmas to you too....and everyone else here.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
260   0   0
This is an excellent thread and what the pool world needs more of. I personally stopped buying cues for myself years ago and now do everything for friends, when it comes to buying / selling, because I enjoy it. Its a fun hobby that no one will ever retire off of...but thats part of the fun. All that being said, it looks like you make a really nice cue and I commend your story, ill own one of your cues someday. Happy Holidays

art2parts

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an excellent thread and what the pool world needs more of. I personally stopped buying cues for myself years ago and now do everything for friends, when it comes to buying / selling, because I enjoy it. Its a fun hobby that no one will ever retire off of...but thats part of the fun. All that being said, it looks like you make a really nice cue and I commend your story, ill own one of your cues someday. Happy Holidays
Thanks Stake Horse. Merry Christmas to you too

peterskw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Wow, this sounds like a super deal!!! What kind of joint and ferrule material do you use? Is the extra shaft one of the Black Magic Carbon Fiber shafts?

Thanks,
Ken

art2parts

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this sounds like a super deal!!! What kind of joint and ferrule material do you use? Is the extra shaft one of the Black Magic Carbon Fiber shafts?

Thanks,

Ken
Thanks Peter. It is a good deal, especially when you consider the amount of work that goes into it. The one in the picture has a standard linen based ferrule and the joint and butt was Elforyn. I have some flexibility in that if there was something particular you like for joint and ferrule material, except I don't use real ivory. Yes, the extra shaft is one of the carbon fiber shafts. I lowered the cue price and included the shaft to get some attention to it. Both are nice. Let me know if you have any other questions and thanks for looking.

Dave

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I’ve got some questions and rather than send you a PM, I thought it might help to present my inquiry
on the actual thread so that other interested readers might become informed. The butt sleeve of the
design in the photo looks like it might be longer than most other sleeve designs because of the window.
In general, how long is the sleeve from the bottom of the wrap to the bottom of the butt cap?

What does the average cue butt weigh for making one of these designs say with a stainless steel joint or
preferably some ivory substitute material without any weight bolt allowance? I’d imagine you would have
this down to pretty tight specs having made this design a few times.

As far as the original shaft that you make for this cue, I’m assuming that it would be maple. Typically, what
weight can be expected for a 12.75mm maple shaft or even a 13 mm shaft with a pro taper? Having made
lots of shafts, I presume you have this spec down pretty tight. As an example, say the shaft is a flat faced
3/8x10 shaft for a butt with a Elforyn cue joint. What’s the shaft diameter & weight of your carbon fiber shafts?

You are offering a really attractive package and I think that including some addt’l specifications might help
produce the orders you are looking to get for this next project. I know this type info appeals to my interests
and it can help persuade persons looking to get a new cue you’re skilled & very precise about cue-making.

Last edited:

art2parts

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some questions and rather than send you a PM, I thought it might help to present my inquiry
on the actual thread so that other interested readers might become informed. The butt sleeve of the
design in the photo looks like it might be longer than most other sleeve designs because of the window.
In general, how long is the sleeve from the bottom of the wrap to the bottom of the butt cap?

What does the average cue butt weigh for making one of these designs say with a stainless steel joint or
preferably some ivory substitute material without any weight bolt allowance? I’d imagine you would have
this down to pretty tight specs having made this design a few times.

As far as the original shaft that you make for this cue, I’m assuming that it would be maple. Typically, what
weight can be expected for a 12.75mm maple shaft or even a 13 mm shaft with a pro taper? Having made
lots of shafts, I presume you have this spec down pretty tight. As an example, say the shaft is a flat faced
3/8x10 shaft for a butt with a Elforyn cue joint. What’s the shaft diameter & weight of your carbon fiber shafts?

You are offering a really attractive package and I think that including some addt’l specifications might help
produce the orders you are looking to get for this next project. I know this type info appeals to my interests
and it can help persuade persons looking to get a new cue you’re skilled & very precise about cue-making.

You have some very precise and specific questions that I don't want to let linger, but I also can't fully answer all of them at the moment, because I am traveling. Some I can deal with and some I will have to circle back too. The sleeve isn't that much different than a typical cue. It's approximately 4 inches. I hadn't thought about it until your question, but you are right that it does appear to be longer than standard so I am glad you asked and I got the chance to clarify. Just a case of poor photography and angle choices on my part. You can really see a glaring example of that in the full length photo, but there is nothing really out of the ordinary there.

As far as making several of these and having the specs down pat...I wished that was the case. I really do, but rarely do I have two customers in a row asking for the same thing. They've all varied somewhat. I typically aim for my cues to finish 18oz (plus a little sometime, but try not to be less) and I don't add weight to the rear unless requested, but it will accommodate some if they choose. My personal preference is for a forward balance. I don't like weight behind my hand. Production cues that are one size fits all and weighted after the order play fine generally when I use them but they don't feel right if you know what I mean. Maybe I am weird like that but I like a cue to feel a certain way in my hands just walking around the table. That's one of the things that threw me with the carbon fiber cues on the market today. They are so light weight in the front that it made my cue feel butt heavy, which is one of the things I changed with the one I am making. To me anyway it feels right both in your hands and shooting.

Now, with shafts I would honestly have to go home and weight various ones with different tapers, diameters, and joints to give you an accurate answer. Made the way I would for myself they would probably be 4oz plus. I don't tend to grade them according to the finished weight and all of those things would affect it because in each case your are adding or removing weight. I've read tons of post where people argue on both sides of the issue on how weight is proportional to playability and I hope my thread doesn't become one of those. I've personally seen great playing shafts on either side of scale. I try and buy quality shaft blanks and any further sorting I may do comes when I cut them. My personal choice is a stiff taper and I like the old school 13mm diameter, but most people I have made shafts for like smaller diameters and longer straight pro tapers. All of those things would lower the weight, especially on a 3/8-10 I wouldn't want that taper on my cue, but they love it. So many opinions out there.

My carbon fiber shafts are north of 4oz. A Revo uniloc is 4oz on the nose where as my uniloc version comes in at 4.18oz. The balance point is also shifted forward on mine. My shafts are cored differently for many reasons but they are closer to a standard wooden shaft weight because of that. The diameter runs 12.4mm to 12.5mm. My standard is 30", but I can do 29" or closer to 31" on request. I find the extra inch to come in handy sometimes and it still fits a standard case well.

I realize I didn't answer all of your questions precisely, but I will circle back around.