What Percentage of Professional Snooker Players Do You Reckon Uses a Cueing Glove?

Pangit

Banned
th

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
So far I haven't seen any.

Tried it myself, IDK, snooker is such a delicate game IMO it takes away too much feeling. The loop bridge is only used on a very select handful of shots, so that also impacts a players decision.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tried it myself, IDK, snooker is such a delicate game IMO it takes away too much feeling. The loop bridge is only used on a very select handful of shots, so that also impacts a players decision.
I watch quite a bit of snooker. Ross Muir is about the ONLY top player i've ever seen with one. They shoot off open bridges on VERY clean tables. No need for one.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
There was a professional snooker player in the 1980s called Nigel Gilbert who used to wear a glove.

He also played on the pool circuit occasionally.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
My memory could be failing me, but I also think Alain Robidoux wore one for a few matches.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. We're up to a grand total of three. My first guess may have been on the high side.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One

I recall seeing a video online of one snooker player
With a glove, it was jarring. I believe he was from the middle east.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I find the differences in equipment and routine between pool, snooker, and 3C fascinating. From tip sizes, tapers, bridges, glove use, chalk etiquette, etc. there is so much difference.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find the differences in equipment and routine between pool, snooker, and 3C fascinating. From tip sizes, tapers, bridges, glove use, chalk etiquette, etc. there is so much difference.

3c is on the opposite side of the spectrum, 99% looped bridges and almost everybody wears a glove

Pangit

Banned
3c is on the opposite side of the spectrum, 99% looped bridges and almost everybody wears a glove

I'm not a real "expert" on three cushion billiards. With that said, I've never seen Raymond Ceulemans, Torbjörn Blomdahl, or Efren Reyes use a cuing glove in a 3 cushion match.

I may be wrong.
:scratchhead:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a real "expert" on three cushion billiards. With that said, I've never seen Raymond Ceulemans, Torbjörn Blomdahl, or Efren Reyes use a cuing glove in a 3 cushion match.

I may be wrong.

i follow the 3c circuit a bit and there are few exceptions nowadays, blomdahl and sayginer most notable of them. but even sayginer uses a glove sometimes.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think that snooker matches are held in better venues than most pool matches.

The snooker players are always wearing long-sleeved shirts and vests, so I would assume that the places were pretty well air conditioned.

Don't see too many snooker tournaments held in dives where the heat and humidity would necessitate the need to wear a glove.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I may be wrong.

And you never saw Mosconi, Lassiter, or even Fats play with a laminated shaft, either, LOL.

Point being, you're a couple off generations behind the current of top guys, except for Blomdahl, the timeless one. Lots of top players today, like Caudron, Sanchez, Cho, etc. wear gloves. I'm not even sure that gloves even existed in Ceulemans played. And while he doesn't use one routinely I'm pretty sure I've seen matches where Blomdahl uses one.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think that snooker matches are held in better venues than most pool matches.

The snooker players are always wearing long-sleeved shirts and vests, so I would assume that the places were pretty well air conditioned.

Don't see too many snooker tournaments held in dives where the heat and humidity would necessitate the need to wear a glove.

I also think that a glove is less useful to snooker players' almost universal use of an open bridge.

I don't know if it is related to smooth sliding, but frequently O'Sullivan holds a cup with hot liquid in his hands when in his chair.