Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
We are talking about modems because all of a sudden guys like logical and BJ -- who up until the point of hearing the two guys at the BCA who supposedly reviewed and certified JS' run may have questionable pool bona fides -- want to change the subject.

Before that though, they were chanting, "BCA! BCA! BCA!" pretty heartily:

So modems and AOL it is because talking about the BCA don't look so good to those guys anymore, lol.

Lou Figueroa
can't blame them
If you want a BCA record, you submit to the BCA. Not sure why that is so hard to understand. We've moved on to other topics because any debate is a waste of everyone's time. We get it, you don't like calling it a record. OK, then don't.

Proud to have post 666.

Sent from the future.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've moved on to other topics because any debate is a waste of everyone's time. We get it, you don't like calling it a record. OK, then don't.

You are so right. Beating the dead horse over and over is getting really old.

Lou, you guys like to hang with your conspiracy theories WRT BCA, JS and 50 to 60 others conspiring to make something look good that in your opinion is not.

We - the other side - are not yet convinced that all of humanity are such low-lives they desperately need to cheat and we accept the 626 as to what it is proclaimed to be: 626 balls continously shot in holes on a 9 ft. pool table according to the rules of (straight) pool. We don't really care that much if the setup is really close enough to Mosconi's or Cranfield's or whatever. We accept however that 626 balls have most probably been pocketed in a session without fouls until someone can prove the opposite.

So - modems and other distractions only make this thread more agreeable - because it is getting very stale and even you, Lou, should realize we will not get anywhere anytime soon. Unless one of you guys goes to verify John's suspected cheat by going to the viewing and proving it. If you can't do that, you could keep grumbling about cloth, shaved pockets, John's underpants or whatever without ever convincing us of these so overly important aspects of the disputed record.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
It's difficult as learning yer bca's

How hot does the water have to be in the bca hot tub - for them to release the footage of their new sports history claim?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I worked next door to the original office space.

I delivered horse feed to one of the owners of AOL back in the day. I wonder if he kept up with the times.

He had a huge farm back in the sticks. Electronic gates for each stall with thick rubber mats on the ground, pools for the horses to swim in, nice clean barns and a sweet house.

I still remember the exact sounds the modem or whatever made as it did it’s thing. It sounded like you were ripping through space time

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They'll be begging for members to keep them in their jobs before this is settled. Sorry, but the truth will win.

Signs of megalomania? Are you going to be the great usurper? Or those other few here on AZB that don't even spend the $50 to verify the "great cheat"?

I bet the BCA or any future record lists and books couldn't care less.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a BCA record, you submit to the BCA. Not sure why that is so hard to understand. We've moved on to other topics because any debate is a waste of everyone's time. We get it, you don't like calling it a record. OK, then don't.

Proud to have post 666.

Sent from the future.

Sure.

Want a BCA record: have the PR guy and another guy who's background is race tracks OK it.

Piece of cake.

Lou Figueroa
not
worth
the
paper
it's
printed
on?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are so right. Beating the dead horse over and over is getting really old.

Lou, you guys like to hang with your conspiracy theories WRT BCA, JS and 50 to 60 others conspiring to make something look good that in your opinion is not.

We - the other side - are not yet convinced that all of humanity are such low-lives they desperately need to cheat and we accept the 626 as to what it is proclaimed to be: 626 balls continously shot in holes on a 9 ft. pool table according to the rules of (straight) pool. We don't really care that much if the setup is really close enough to Mosconi's or Cranfield's or whatever. We accept however that 626 balls have most probably been pocketed in a session without fouls until someone can prove the opposite.

So - modems and other distractions only make this thread more agreeable - because it is getting very stale and even you, Lou, should realize we will not get anywhere anytime soon. Unless one of you guys goes to verify John's suspected cheat by going to the viewing and proving it. If you can't do that, you could keep grumbling about cloth, shaved pockets, John's underpants or whatever without ever convincing us of these so overly important aspects of the disputed record.

What conspiracy theory?

I'm just asking: as far as their pool experience, what qualifications do Bob and Shane at the BCA have to certify a 14.1 record?

Their business cards?

Lou Figueroa
it's not that complicated

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strange....lotta truth seekers in these 626 threads....
...I’m sure the 626 table is still there....
...it could be checked for sanded down slates.

Ya because certainly there hasn't been enough time to change it

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I just finished...

I just finished almost every post except for the guest eleven pages and I have to say the only conclusion I can come to us that Danny Harriman and x radar x are jealous and completely full of shit.

Jaden

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Strange....lotta truth seekers in these 626 threads....
...I’m sure the 626 table is still there....
...it could be checked for sanded down slates.

Inspecting and verifying equipment used, playing conditions, video, and possible drug testing any player claiming to have set a "world" record. Aren't those the things that all other professional industry/sport commissioners and/or organizations would have immediately required before labeling a claim as a record? Don't those requirements guarantee the integrity of any sport/industry?

The pine tar bat...the deflated football....racing engine teardowns....numerous drug test rejections....Doesn't seem out of line to me.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My favorite high run in straight pool is Darren Appleton’s 200.....
...it was done in a tournament, where every shot is a decision not to play safe.

I consider Willie Mosconi’s 526 to be the high exhibition run...witnessed and with an opponent,

There should be another category for John Schmidt’s 626...but it was a fine thing.
...it was made under the same conditions as the DCC runs....
...so those who demean it are demeaning these runs also...

6A1DEFE4-BB07-4840-BCAE-70F03342D9CB.jpeg

I’m pretty sure that Babe Cranfield’s run was made under these conditions also...
...a friend of mine witnessed parts of it, but he said no one person saw all of it.
People that know the Babe will attest to his character, but if the run was accorded official
status, then others would have that same consideration...and some are untrustworthy.

Anybody got a name for the category that the 626 should be in?

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Inspecting and verifying equipment used, playing conditions, video, and possible drug testing any player claiming to have set a "world" record. Aren't those the things that all other professional industry/sport commissioners and/or organizations would have immediately required before labeling a claim as a record? Don't those requirements guarantee the integrity of any sport/industry?

The pine tar bat...the deflated football....racing engine teardowns....numerous drug test rejections....Doesn't seem out of line to me.

You gotta be kidding me. Do you think the old timers were tested for drugs?

Don't forget Pool is just recently evolving to be a sport, it's been just a game for decades.

It seems like this guy John Scdmidt broke 526. Yes, officially he did. There were witnesses. That is all there is to it.

The pockets were made big in purpose Yes. And that is a huge advantage in itself, Yes.
And until someone, BCA, WPA or an official organization sets up guidelines on pocket sizes to establish an official record, anyone can go try it on modified 8" pockets if they like

This is the only thing that makes his run dont look as good in my opinion. The huge pocket sizes.
And I'm sure it will be commented for decades, do not worry.

But he did break the official record. And since it seems like Mosconi's famed record on that oversized 8' table had pockets pretty similar in size to John's record table, I think the record should absolutely stand.

Does not mean he has the record to the longest run, but he does own the official record

I believe a very few have ran over 700 balls throught history
but yes, it seems like there are a couple or 3 guys tops who have done that. I believe that.
But those were practice runs

John's was not exactly a practice run, it was part of an exhibition: a long multi city exhibition that took some months is all.

He did it

he absolutely is in the elite and very few players who have gone over 500 and 600 balls continuously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

This brought back a memory...small town north of Little Rock...1985
...last time I played on a ‘doctored’ table...most of these were from the 20s and 30s...
...the corner pockets were at least 5.25....and the slate was altered so balls would drop...
(This was a product of the old system of payment...by the game rather than table time)
...easy tables made for quicker games.

Can’t recall a shot I didn’t feel like going for....won a few bucks with the owner...
..if Willie played a game in there, he might not’ve missed for a week

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This brought back a memory...small town north of Little Rock...1985
...last time I played on a ‘doctored’ table...most of these were from the 20s and 30s...
...the corner pockets were at least 5.25....and the slate was altered so balls would drop...
(This was a product of the old system of payment...by the game rather than table time)
...easy tables made for quicker games.

Can’t recall a shot I didn’t feel like going for....won a few bucks with the owner...
..if Willie played a game in there, he might not’ve missed for a week

Does anybody live nearby the table that John ran the 626 on? I would love to have somebody take a tape and a 3' level to see how big the pockets are, tell if the slate has been sanded and if the rails have been modified. People have accused him of this and I think we should put this to rest.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
My favorite high run in straight pool is Darren Appleton’s 200.....
...it was done in a tournament, where every shot is a decision not to play safe.

I consider Willie Mosconi’s 526 to be the high exhibition run...witnessed and with an opponent,

There should be another category for John Schmidt’s 626...but it was a fine thing.
...it was made under the same conditions as the DCC runs....
...so those who demean it are demeaning these runs also...

View attachment 540977

I’m pretty sure that Babe Cranfield’s run was made under these conditions also...
...a friend of mine witnessed parts of it, but he said no one person saw all of it.
People that know the Babe will attest to his character, but if the run was accorded official
status, then others would have that same consideration...and some are untrustworthy.

Anybody got a name for the category that the 626 should be in?

Paul, I respect you way too much to engage in a meaningless and bicker type exchange with you...or anyone else, for that matter, and I understand that you are trying your best to be fair and reasonable. :smile:

I don't think anyone's legitimate run on that list, or any other list, has been demeaned, mainly so because there were no grandiose, "world record breaking", claims attached to any one of those runs. The major rub here, and the main reason for his record rejection, IMO, is that JS is claiming, not only a breaking an existing "world" record, but a very specific and esteemed world record, one held by possibly the most admired and respected player to ever hold a cue, Willie Mosconi. Had JS just made the claim of having made a run of 626, and not withheld the video proof, I doubt that there would had been much discussion other then "congratulations, JS".

I've said this earlier, and I'll say it again: "the world looks at your accomplishment and they decide whether or not you're a hero, you don't dictate your heroism to the world."

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I believe a very few have ran over 700 balls throught history
but yes, it seems like there are a couple or 3 guys tops who have done that. I believe that.
But those were practice runs ...

Other than 768 for Cranfield, what other claims are there for runs of 700+? Yes, a few over 600, but I'm not aware of claims of any other run in the 700's.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is getting more stupid by the day. Now it's that there was no drug testing. Most hilarious: the table was doctored and now they re-doctored it back to it's original state. Do some of you realize how extremely stupid you sound? What is next? The earth wobbled on the day JS made the 626 and the balls fell in all by themselves? The balls might have been magnetic and there were magnets in the holes?

I am sure you can come up with more ...

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Sure.

Want a BCA record: have the PR guy and another guy who's background is race tracks OK it.

Piece of cake.

Lou Figueroa

not

worth

the

paper

it's

printed

on?
I don't really disagree, but why does this upset a few of you so profoundly? What do I care what the BCA, PTA, SLA or whoever consider records? They aren't a government agency and have the right to set their own rules and don't need our permission to declare JS a record holder.

Why is there so much hand wringing over what a group that you consider illegitimate thinks?

You guys have a point that it may or may not be a significant achievement but the wild conspiracy theories are a bit over the edge.

Sent from the future.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really disagree, but why does this upset a few of you so profoundly? What do I care what the BCA, PTA, SLA or whoever consider records? They aren't a government agency and have the right to set their own rules and don't need our permission to declare JS a record holder.

Why is there so much hand wringing over what a group that you consider illegitimate thinks?

You guys have a point that it may or may not be a significant achievement but the wild conspiracy theories are a bit over the edge.

Sent from the future.

Not upset whatsoever.

The reason I made a point of it was because up until this post you would have had us believe the BCA's certification was sacred, to wit:

It isn't up to a nationwide popular vote. It was submitted to BCA as evidence of a BCA record. They accepted it, it's done...

Lou Figueroa

Status
Not open for further replies.