Gold Crowns and the term Diamonized

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are not making any sense. 141 is the progress. You are the only one I have ever heard saying this stuff about wanting 138/139 degree corner pockets. I suppose you want the sides changed to 99 degrees rather than 102?

Again, ALL of the manufacturers are at 141 degrees on the corners.

I am completely AGAINST the idea of "diamondizing" a Gold Crown. I call it BASTARDIZING. I am all for changing the angles on a GC1-3 to 141 though. Of course keeping with Superspeed cushions.

Here is a pic of a client of mines GC1 in Vero Beach FLA. 4.25" corners at 141 degrees.

TFT
Is it camera or does rail on the right extent further than the one on the left?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Sorry. I thought I was clear on my original post. I am not considering diamonizing a gold crown.

The three gold crowns that I am looking at (that appear to be in nice shape) are all purporting to be diamonized.

I am trying to think through what kind of can of worms I might be getting into depending on what diamonize actually means to these three owners. If I had my druthers, I would prefer a close to stoke gold crown and make my own decisions.

Thanks for the input so far.

Just be careful and ask LOTS of questions.

TFT

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Like this better than 4.5 141*

Attachments

• pocket.jpg
    pocket.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 258

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what a pocket opening should look like, IMO.
I agree. Tuff but fair. I'm no mechanic so i have a question: why would anyone want a tight opening and nearly parallel jaws? I've played on one ED set-up table and it was ok but the pockets just seemed weird for lack of a better word. 4.25/141 plays really good imo. It seems on a table with less than 140deg you have to make the mouth super narrow in order to play ok.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I'm no mechanic so i have a question: why would anyone want a tight opening and nearly parallel jaws?

I don' know of ANYONE who does it that way. I am interested to see Joey's protractor on the angle of the pocket. It is reading very close to 141 in his picture.

TFT

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bonus ball table was set up with tight mouth and parallel facings. The idea was your accuracy had to be good to get it in the jaws, but once in, it would fall. I believe the play was liked by the pros from reading about it here. Then again, it seems like that was almost 10 years ago. Memory might be bad.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bonus ball table was set up with tight mouth and parallel facings. The idea was your accuracy had to be good to get it in the jaws, but once in, it would fall. I believe the play was liked by the pros from reading about it here. Then again, it seems like that was almost 10 years ago. Memory might be bad.

I'd wager Ernesto set that table up.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Nathan who was a regular here and part of the bb crew came up with the idea and had it done. Or, it might have been fast Lenny. One of those two. Whichever one, they posted lots of picture and specs at the time. From memory, it was either 4.0 or 4.25” mouth, and 135 deg (parallel) faces.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Nathan who was a regular here and part of the bb crew came up with the idea and had it done. Or, it might have been fast Lenny. One of those two. Whichever one, they posted lots of picture and specs at the time. From memory, it was either 4.0 or 4.25” mouth, and 135 deg (parallel) faces.
135deg???? Sounds crazy to me.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know, but after playing on my new rails set at 4.5 *141 I think I can see why Ernesto wanted to decrease that angle for his pockets that go down to nearly 4 inch corners. Tight pockets are murder when it comes to making balls froze on the rail shot at a decent speed and the 138 would seem to help the situation some. I'm not saying it's right, or should be the standard, just thinking about the rationale behind the angle change.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know, but after playing on my new rails set at 4.5 *141 I think I can see why Ernesto wanted to decrease that angle for his pockets that go down to nearly 4 inch corners. Tight pockets are murder when it comes to making balls froze on the rail shot at a decent speed and the 138 would seem to help the situation some. I'm not saying it's right, or should be the standard, just thinking about the rationale behind the angle change.
So a smaller throat(straighter jaws) angle would help offset a tighter opening? I still think that 4.25-4.5 and 141 is really tough to beat.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Boom.
Head shot.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
NO. You are funny, because ONE person agrees with you??

Lets get to the core of this: Show us the protractor on your pocket angles. As I said before, looks like its REALLY close to 141...

TFT

You can call West State Billiards hired mech.
He remembers my rails.
Trent, I'm not the only one who requests this oddity.

And if you walk in Hard Times, you'll see the tournament room tables with even more odd angles.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So a smaller throat(straighter jaws) angle would help offset a tighter opening? I still think that 4.25-4.5 and 141 is really tough to beat.

Yes, I think straighter jaws (smaller throat) would help to offset the tighter openings on shots down the rail. Reducing the angle would tighten the pocket at the front of the shelf and open up the pocket at the back of the shelf. I'm still happy with what I have (4.5 and 141), but I could see changing the angle to give a more realistic target down the rail for the Ernesto size pockets (4 to 4.25).

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
You need to own a home table with those pockets.
Then start watching balls get spit out and then you start thinking if they really should be spit out or you get the end rail cushion angled in a little.

4.25" corners with those angles are for pros and good shortstops.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Yes, I think straighter jaws (smaller throat) would help to offset the tighter openings on shots down the rail. Reducing the angle would tighten the pocket at the front of the shelf and open up the pocket at the back of the shelf. I'm still happy with what I have (4.5 and 141), but I could see changing the angle to give a more realistic target down the rail for the Ernesto size pockets (4 to 4.25).

I think 4 7/16" at 139* play better and more realistic .:D
Not quite Ernesto's 4" 135*.
And not quite Diamonds'.