what cues are saving up for ?

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Slowly building my collection, trying to focus on cuemakers in States I've lived in the US.

Had Pete Tascarella make me a cue two or so years ago (I'm from the NJ-NY Metro Area, Tascarella being the guy for this area).

Just got a 1965-68 Ginacue Domino in the mail today that still plays amazing. (Lived in the Bay Area / Oakland / Berkeley for a while).

I have a cue on order from a certain guy in Ohio (went to college out there).

I'll pick up a Bushka one day, that's my holy grail.

Any cuemakers from Hawai'i, or should I lump that into California / Ginacue? I worked on a few organic farms out on the Big Island when I was younger.

Relatedly, if anyone has a Pete Margo model Palmer, hit me up!

Side rant: I remember going to Palmer Video to rent movies as a kid! We went to the one in Scotch Plains, NJ near my grandparent's house rather than the Blockbuster on Rt 22 in Greenbrook up the road. Had no idea it was connected to Palmer Cues / Pete Margo until well after it had closed. What's funny is that I helped a good friend drop his car off at a mechanic in Plainfield, NJ around 2010. I noticed a "Palmer Video" sign on a storefront and walked by to check it out. Note that parts of Plainfield NJ were *not* areas you wanted to be in at night at the time. It was an electronic store filled to the brim with cell phones and old stereo parts, probably just took over the lease/biz and kept the sign up. Guy surely had no idea the history of the name Palmer. It's not there anymore, and I wonder if it was the last use of the name Palmer Video or Palmer in existence. By that time, I think the actual Palmer Video business was long gone.

Edit - you can see the remnants of "Palmer Video" on the awning sign here. A ghost of pool's past and of a way of life in general. This is in Kenilworth NJ.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.677...4!1sbn2sdd_1W9h0zkVYVw_p1g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing.

I have two brand new customs with seven new shafts that I got in the last month or so that haven't hit a ball yet.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta be frustrating waiting for the all clear so you can try
both cues and with that many shafts, well, it’s going to take
more than a few racks to see which combo you most prefer.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing.

I have two brand new customs with seven new shafts that I got in the last month or so that haven't hit a ball yet.

I’m kinda hoping that you just hate that Merry Widow you got from JC and want to give it away... :winknudge:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m kinda hoping that you just hate that Merry Widow you got from JC and want to give it away... :winknudge:

:)

I can't wait to try that JC cue out with the three shafts I have for it.

I'm sure that one will be a keeper.

My problem is that all of my cues eventually turn out to be "keepers".

I think I may have to thin the herd here at some point.

I'm out of cases to hold them all.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
The Golden Fleece I never have located.......,Joel Hercek, 4 ebony points, veneers, classy design and
has to have a flat faced ivory joint with shafts 12.75 -13 mm (4.0 oz min), butt weight 14.5 - 14.75 ozs.

I posted WTB threads for 3 years, even offered a reward or finders fee, was willing to offer my Prewitt or
even my Scruggs radial joint plus cash to get what I want but the opportunity never came up. Several cues
were offered but the specs never matched up to what I want. And when you pay this much for a pool cue,
you should never settle, always get what you want or else just pass on a cue that I’ve done 6-7 times.

The problem with never settling for anything less than your perfect specs, for those who REALLY want a particular makers cue, is that your chances of being rewarded is just about as close to slim to none as you can get.

If someone really admires a maker as much and as long as you have of Joel, my suggestion is, as time goes by without finding your perfect example, loosen your acceptable criteria a bit. Then if the right cue does come along you have trade bait. If it doesn't you at least have a great example from your Holy Grail maker.

Go get a nice Hercek. You've waited long enough. It's time

or you might just not have to save up lol .

i need to stop looking at cues , one i liked i had to back out because my chihuahua
needs surgery to remove some bad teeth . and that is 1,500 dollars . but she is more important then a pool cue / furbabies are family she is 14 ,

and i know some hurt and she cant tell they hurt but she wont let me touch her mouth and you can smell a little rotten smell . this popped up this week . im thinking on abcesed and broke open . she is on pain meds til i can get her in .

im gonna try to save up for a bushka or gus . i know , but if dream dream big .

i will get there and if other med problems arise family first .

ive babbled enough , what are you looking to buy or save for ??

Very sorry to hear about your dogs(?) dental issue. Sounds horrible.

I could not save a dollar to save my life, but if I could save, then it would be for a DZ cue, or a Lambros.

Diveney is on my list of dream cues too, but I think I would rather have a DZ or a Lambros. I understand that a DZ cue would be much easier and much cheaper to be had then a Lambros though.

Last edited:
I've purchased quite a few cues since the pandemic, and have only been able to hit four of them.
I'm sure there is a Holy Grail in there somewhere, I have one on the way that's a
candidate for Holy Grail, so I'm not looking or saving up for cues.

I see that you own a Hercek. Those are so beautiful, from what I have seen, and I have always heard such high praises about them.

I see that you own many other fine, high end cues too.

Hope your puppy gets better. As for the cues, I dream from time to time about a few. I would love to own one of the original Runde Schons. Aside from that, in an alternate reality I'd love to own a Hercek cue, but saving enough to own one will probably never happen in my tax bracket.

Oh my, those Runde era Shon cues are so nice, and beautiful. Schon should have never switched to rounded CNC points, after Runde left Schon.

The last cue I had to save money to buy was almost 50 years ago in college. I have had several very nice cues since then, but none of them involved making a choice between daily needs and owning the cue. There are too many good, low priced, possibly used cues out there.

Some cues just so rarely come available for sale on the used market though, like Mike Durbin cues for example. There is a cue maker that may not be as well known as the top 10 cues makers, or whatever, but his cues hit amazing, and are super nice, in my opinion.

Probably a long waiting list for a custom build, directly from Durbin too.

I have a closet full of cues if anybody is looking, I am getting completely out of the pool business and taking up knitting. Wish I had done it 50 years ago, think of how many sweaters I could have .

Book collecting seems very interesting. Just watched the Ninth Gate the other day. Great Roman Polanski film.

Sorry for the NPR post.

I have a closet full of cues if anybody is looking, I am getting completely out of the pool business and taking up knitting. Wish I had done it 50 years ago, think of how many sweaters I could have .

Book collecting seems very interesting. Just watched the Ninth Gate again (for the umteenth time) the other day. Great Roman Polanski film.

Sorry for the NPR post.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I always wanted a Southwest. I like the prestige, it's probably not going to be worth it by any stretch of the imagination. I always thought the day I consider myself a real player, I'd buy one as a reward for myself for reaching my goals. The day I finally run 200 in straight pool, or the day my Fargorate reaches 700. Neither seem very likely at the moment. Just as well, I'd suppose, as I don't have the 5k needed, much less 20 years to wait.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some cues just so rarely come available for sale on the used market though, like Mike Durbin cues for example. There is a cue maker that may not be as well known as the top 10 cues makers, or whatever, but his cues hit amazing, and are super nice, in my opinion.

Probably a long waiting list for a custom build, directly from Durbin too.
Mike is a soybean farmer half the year so his wait times can be long. Super nice guy who makes REALLY nice stuff.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My new cue is a Scotty Cameron putter. Since i got my Mezz w/HP1 shaft and R. Roper extension i'm done lookin at cues. Only cue i'd even consider would be a Garten Bierbower. A friend just got one and its as nice a steel-joint cue as i've ever seen and i've owned a bunch.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My new cue is a Scotty Cameron putter.

Nice! Fortunately, you can get those for about the price of a mid-range McDermott. :smile:

If my golf buddies, who think golf clubs are expensive, ever knew what we pay for a freaking pool cue, they’d throw up! :D

Last edited: