WWYD 14-1 End Pattern

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
On the break shot of the next rack, I went softer with draw because I was on the angle with the CB that is a fuller cut. From the old straight pool instructionals I watched years ago, they said to hit a shot like that with draw and softer, just enough to knock a few balls loose. IDK if that is still the preferred way in today's game...

I have no clue what "the right way" is...lol.

At this point I go for generating as many options as I can safely.

In your situation I would hit it with less draw and jack up slightly to hop/slide the CB into the pack. This would allows me to hit the shot with more force and limit the inertia of the CB. The natural carom off the pack brings the CB up table.

Last edited:

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Thanks for your input Island Drive. I’m listening and doing my best. I like the emphasis on simple shots. And much respect to an old school Browns fan. I grew up down the street from Lou “The Toe” Groza. Bernie Kosar will always be my quarterback, but I have respect for every era.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks for your input Island Drive. I’m listening and doing my best. I like the emphasis on simple shots. And much respect to an old school Browns fan. I grew up down the street from Lou “The Toe” Groza. Bernie Kosar will always be my quarterback, but I have respect for every era.
greasy grimey gopher, when the bca offers this so called 626 video to public - I will continue to share what knowledge I have with this forum, if j.s,bca,and predcue can make a grandiose claim - and the hold the world hostage i.e. hide from accountability - so then can I. I will tell ya that I am a slight Browns fan. Nanna nanna babbah dy dahhddu. Shamalah ha dydah dah. j my add vice is just gopher' it Thank u very little.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I confused the eight for the two. My bad. The best break ball is the two, not the eight, but access to the thirteen is so simple that it's the best approach.
What is wrong with the 1-ball as the break ball? On first glance, I’m seeing what appears to be a absolutely straight shot on the 11-ball so I play that and draw straight back to then play the 8-ball, leaving an angle on the 13 to stun it back out towards the middle of the table for either the 2-ball or the 7-ball, depending on the angle I leave it at, as the key ball to set up the break shot on the 1-ball.

Some 14.1 players don’t like a break ball that sits that close to the side of the rack. If that’s the case, obviously you would save the 2-ball as the break ball.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What is wrong with the 1-ball as the break ball?
In a vacuum, nothing, but the point of the thread is to consider each of the available break balls in terms of simplicity of access. Access to the one is more difficult, as available patterns onto it is far from fool proof. As others have pointed out well, there are several break balls here, but the thirteen is much easier to get onto than all the others and it would be near impossible to go wrong on the pattern that leaves it as the break shot, as getting onto the thirteen using the eight, as Bob Jewett noted, can be achieved from almost anywhere.

The importance of weighing simplicity of access as a factor in selecting your break shot was something Mizerak spoke of often. If your planning methodology is to select the break ball you like best and then find a pattern onto it, you are not approaching the game the way the old masters did. When selecting the right break shot, you must weigh both break ball position and ease of access.

Finally, your point that the one is practically against the rack is relevant. More than a few shy away from that one.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a vacuum, nothing, but the point of the thread is to consider each of the available break balls in terms of simplicity of access. Access to the one is more difficult, as available patterns onto it is far from fool proof. As others have pointed out well, there are several break balls here, but the thirteen is much easier to get onto than all the others and it would be near impossible to go wrong on the pattern that leaves it as the break shot, as getting onto the thirteen using the eight, as Bob Jewett noted, can be achieved from almost anywhere.

The importance of weighing simplicity of access as a factor in selecting your break shot was something Mizerak spoke of often. If your planning methodology is to select the break ball you like best and then find a pattern onto it, you are not approaching the game the way the old masters did. When selecting the right break shot, you must weigh both break ball position and ease of access.

Finally, your point that the one is practically against the rack is relevant. More than a few shy away from that one.
Really, there are numerous options to successfully get to either the 1-ball, the 2-ball, or the 7/4 (the ball on the left side that sits the highest and I can’t really make out what color it is) as 3 options for side of the rack break balls.

The only thing obvious here is that your first shot is going to be either the 8-ball or the 11-ball. I certainly agree with you and Bob that saving the 8-ball as the key ball is the easiest path to a certain correct angle break shot on the 13-ball.

I would argue that some players like myself shy away from bottom of the rack break shots when there are potential side of the rack break shots still available.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjm

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
(To me, the only break ball is the 2. Sure there are other options, but those are merely alternates if I happen to screw something up on my road to the 2 ball shape.)
I don't know what hand you shoot with but if lefty the 2 ball, if righty the 1 ball should be the break shot IMHO

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Really, there are numerous options to successfully get to either the 1-ball, the 2-ball, or the 7/4 (the ball on the left side that sits the highest and I can’t really make out what color it is) as 3 options for side of the rack break balls.

The only thing obvious here is that your first shot is going to be either the 8-ball or the 11-ball. I certainly agree with you and Bob that saving the 8-ball as the key ball is the easiest path to a certain correct angle break shot on the 13-ball.

I would argue that some players like myself shy away from bottom of the rack break shots when there are potential side of the rack break shots still available.
Good post.

No doubt, personal preference must be an ingredient in your decision, and if you don't like under the rack break shots or get poor results with them too often, then the percentages for you are different than they would be otherwise.

Hence, the thought process may need to be "of the break balls you find acceptable, which offers the simplest access?" That said, I feel most players would deem the thirteen to be an excellent break ball.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post.

No doubt, personal preference must be an ingredient in your decision, and if you don't like under the rack break shots or get poor results with them too often, then the percentages for you are different than they would be otherwise.

Hence, the thought process may need to be "of the break balls you find acceptable, which offers the simplest access?" That said, I feel most players would deem the thirteen to be an excellent break ball.
Yes, I’m trying to get more comfortable with bottom of the rack break balls. I found Niels Feijen‘s recent video entirely dedicated to 14.1 break shots as extremely helpful for all various angles of break balls and I highly recommend any 14.1 player to watch it. It was particularly enlightening to me for these under the rack break shots. As a result, I was able to successfully execute a few of them tonight.

Reactions: sjm