Staggered Breaking Rotation

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By Staggered Breaking Rotation I mean Player A wins the lag and then gets the first 3 breaks, then Player B gets the next 3 breaks, etc. Real world example:

Players A and B
Race to 11

Player A wins lag and gets first 3 breaks.
Player B then gets the next three breaks - 4, 5, 6.
Player A then gets the next two breaks - 7 and 8
Player B then gets the next two breaks - 9 and 10
Player A gets the last break.

Clearly you could change it around for whatever race if needed/wanted.

This would allow players the chance to string games together but not let it get out of hand and boring when someone knows how to pattern rack.

What say ye'?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
By Staggered Breaking Rotation I mean Player A wins the lag and then gets the first 3 breaks, then Player B gets the next 3 breaks, etc. Real world example:

Players A and B
Race to 11

Player A wins lag and gets first 3 breaks.
Player B then gets the next three breaks - 4, 5, 6.
Player A then gets the next two breaks - 7 and 8
Player B then gets the next two breaks - 9 and 10
Player A gets the last break.

Clearly you could change it around for whatever race if needed/wanted.

This would allow players the chance to string games together but not let it get out of hand and boring when someone knows how to pattern rack.

What say ye'?

I like the concept but in a race to 11 that would get them to 6-5 on serve. Then what? Back to the drawing board Mr Chili. ;)

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the concept but in a race to 11 that would get them to 6-5 on serve. Then what? Back to the drawing board Mr Chili. ;)

Actually, my example above is for a race to 11. As long as the race is to an odd number the lag winner will break the last game just like normal.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Actually, my example above is for a race to 11. As long as the race is to an odd number the lag winner will break the last game just like normal.

A race to 11 can have 21 games. Ok so three, three, then two, two until one is on the hill, then one and one more if needed? Black Balled is right, too confusing.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Someone named for a shylock really should have a basic understanding of numbers.

Hey don't mess with the Chili. He has taken a cross country motorcycle trip 4,000 miles in 17 days, camping out a lot. Anybody that can do that is OK in my book.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Repeating myself but: Phone App.

pseudo randomizes ball placement

can lock out 1 ball in the middle or make it a jackpot/craps

other rules if the 1 lands in the back third of the rack (pushout before the break?)

maybe 3 point requirement only if 1 ball is at the head

or not

it's only a game

breaker can call wild balls

oh wait, I was done.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Repeating myself but: Phone App.

pseudo randomizes ball placement

can lock out 1 ball in the middle or make it a jackpot/craps

other rules if the 1 lands in the back third of the rack (pushout before the break?)

maybe 3 point requirement only if 1 ball is at the head

or not

it's only a game

breaker can call wild balls

oh wait, I was done.

Is this code? Has the coup actually begun? Should I brace, brace, brace?:thud:

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Hey don't mess with the Chili. He has taken a cross country motorcycle trip 4,000 miles in 17 days, camping out a lot. Anybody that can do that is OK in my book.

Yeh, there's a thread somewhere in NPR. Lots of cool photos.

What he didn't mention is he rode hard for a week and then slept for 10 days straight.

Hey Chili :wave3:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone named for a shylock really should have a basic understanding of numbers.

No shit, lol, I was headed out the door when I posted that!

So...

Race to 11...

Player A - first 5 racks - 1-5
Player B - next 5 racks - 6-10
Player A - next 5 racks - 11-15
Player B - next 5 racks - 16-20
Player A - last rack.

Or you can break it down different ways. Either way, it prevents people like Corey Deuel and others from pattern racking.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What he didn't mention is he rode hard for a week and then slept for 10 days straight.

Technically, I rode hard for about 7 days and took the other 10 to explore. Haul ass to an area then explore for a few days, wash, rinse, repeat.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I've got to see that. He actually does what I dream about doing, gotta love it!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No shit, lol, I was headed out the door when I posted that!

So...

Race to 11...

Player A - first 5 racks - 1-5
Player B - next 5 racks - 6-10
Player A - next 5 racks - 11-15
Player B - next 5 racks - 16-20
Player A - last rack.

Or you can break it down different ways. Either way, it prevents people like Corey Deuel and others from pattern racking.

If the breaker is racking, I don't see how this prevents pattern racking.

As far as the match-win percentages go, this arrangement of breaks gives the same result as winner breaks, loser breaks and alternate breaks. "Result" here means that the better player is expected to win the same percentage of the time regardless of which of those formats is chosen. This amazing fact has been discussed in a couple of previous threads.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the breaker is racking, I don't see how this prevents pattern racking.

As far as the match-win percentages go, this arrangement of breaks gives the same result as winner breaks, loser breaks and alternate breaks. "Result" here means that the better player is expected to win the same percentage of the time regardless of which of those formats is chosen. This amazing fact has been discussed in a couple of previous threads.

It would prevent someone from pattern racking and running the set. I'm not a fan of straight alternate breaks, I like to see guys put some racks together but it's boring as hell to watch someone pattern rack and run the set.