Entry/mid level low deflection cue

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The tip placement is not correct. They shouldn't arrive at the same spot. The middle cue might miscue and the left cue for sure will. I see the point but if Identical tip contact is requisite, you are wrong.
Wrong again (you’re batting 1,000). You’re making the common mistake of measuring tip offset from the perspective of the cue’s angle - it’s really always measured from the perspective of the cue's force vector including squirt (parallel with the CB’s direction of travel).

If you actually want to learn something you should probably ask questions rather than making uninformed pronouncements (and then stubbornly denying reality when corrected).

pj
chgo

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrong again (you’re batting 1,000). You’re making the common mistake of measuring tip offset from the perspective of the cue’s angle - it’s really always measured from the perspective of the CB’s direction of travel (parallel with.the tip’s force vector).

If you actually want to learn something you should probably ask questions rather than making uninformed pronouncements (and then stubbornly denying reality when corrected).

pj
chgo

Now you're inventing reality. You don't like being wrong do you? I realize it's just a diagram and not perfectly scaled but right off the bat, the shooters are in three distinctly different positions, all aiming at the same point on the ball. The two to the left are looking at miscues.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The two to the left are looking at miscues.
Still wrong. The CB's center for purposes of measuring miscue limit is the same for all three cues - because of their identical force vectors, as I said before (and you didn't try to understand).

When you stop stubbornly defending your errors and start actually thinking about what's said to you, maybe you'll learn something.

pj <- not holding my breath
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blah blah. The diagram of your contention is unshootable. You do realize this shot requires a fair amount of cue speed right?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again as the OP I'm thinking I may just start with a discoutinued mid/low end Pechauer cue with an SD shaft, then buy an LD shaft as my game progresses.

Any time a question about a low squirt shaft is asked, the thread will always transform to low squirt vs normal squirt shafts. Welcome:)

Pechauer has a good rep. Cheapest new custom cue is from Schmelke.

If you ever buy a used low squirt shaft, ask the seller directly if it has the original ferrule. That's the main part of the low squirt, and sometimes they are replaced and then not as low squirt.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any time a question about a low squirt shaft is asked, the thread will always transform to low squirt vs normal squirt shafts. Welcome:)

Pechauer has a good rep. Cheapest new custom cue is from Schmelke.

If you ever buy a used low squirt shaft, ask the seller directly if it has the original ferrule. That's the main part of the low squirt, and sometimes they are replaced and then not as low squirt.

I had the ferrule effect explained to me as I tested a custom LD. It's still a vague spec. I get as far as the cue deflects instead of the ball facilitated by half the plastic at the front. :D

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can send the ball in any direction with any shaft - just by pointing them in slightly different directions. I'm surprised this isn't obvious - although you're not the first to mistake it.

pj
chgo
I just renoticed this thanks to CapnBob. Yeah you can shoot in any direction but in pool's case, you need to make a precision hit. Off the rack deflection is the most comfortable and I'm not convinced a generic LD can even do the shot without extra elevation.

But I just recorded my shot with no masse and an LD shaft.

Nice trick. The table kept the ball honest. You can see it straightening out. Not uncommon and it still pays. :D

Last edited:

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're just learning about English, than starting off with a "low deflection" shaft is going to do you a disservice if you don't learn about the fundamentals of pool dynamics.
There's nothing wrong with a house cue for learning basic mechanics. Until you know how to intentionally manipulate the cue ball, your cue is not going have the biggest impact on improvident. You may have more pride in a nicer performance cue though, and that does offer a mental advantage in my opinion.
Above all, just maintain patience and perseverance. Also, be wary of the term "low deflection," as many commercial companies use it as a marketing tool rather than an actual science. A high tech carbon fiber shaft with hours of engineering design is called "low deflection" just as a wood shaft with a shorter plastic ferrule. Do research on any recommended products before buying.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have recommendations for an entry/mid level low deflection cue? I’m having my first table set up in my home early next week, hello like to have something a little nicer than the house cues it came with so I can learn to play with English, etc.
Based on your needs I recommend a Cuetec AVID cue. Cuetec has become a totally different animal over the past few years. Their new AVID cues play great, are low deflection (but you can still shape your ball), and work with all of their accessories, like extensions and weight kits. They are far and away the best value and can be had for around $200.00 with either an 11.75 or 12.75 low deflection shaft that plays better than a 314-2 in my opinion.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on your needs I recommend a Cuetec AVID cue. Cuetec has become a totally different animal over the past few years. Their new AVID cues play great, are low deflection (but you can still shape your ball), and work with all of their accessories, like extensions and weight kits. They are far and away the best value and can be had for around $200.00 with either an 11.75 or 12.75 low deflection shaft that plays better than a 314-2 in my opinion.
these are pretty nice but depending on how much your hands sweat you may/may not need a glove. its a coated shaft and can be sticky in right environment. i live in a humid area and coated shafts tend to get sticky pretty quick.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
these are pretty nice but depending on how much your hands sweat you may/may not need a glove. its a coated shaft and can be sticky in right environment. i live in a humid area and coated shafts tend to get sticky pretty quick.
I've had no issues with AVID shafts getting sticky and I live in Jacksonville, FL. I find the AVID finish to be almost equivalent to my Cynergy. As long as I keep it clean - no issues. For the record, I don't really have sweaty hands though.