SVB and Dennis score.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What an incredible hill hill match. This is match of the decade (I know that is not saying much in 2020 :grin-square:)
What a comeback by Dennis.

This deserves automatic rematch

:)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
That was the best match I've ever seen and the best comeback. Alex /Shane was a close second. Those guys both figured out the break. I did bet a little on Dennis this time but this match exceeded all expectations.

Dennis finally beat Shane in a long race. He is on cloud nine.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was the best match I've ever seen and the best comeback. Alex /Shane was a close second. Those guys both figured out the break. I did bet a little on Dennis this time but this match exceeded all expectations.

Dennis finally beat Shane in a long race. He is on cloud nine.
Figured out the break? Didn’t they both scratch at least a couple of times each in those last crucial games? Players at that level using a break template Is just a little too easy, particularly playing a winner breaks format. If they’d been playing on 4 inch pockets - that would’ve eliminated over half of the break and runs!

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That missed 9 ball at 114-109

Day 1 Dennis wins 40-37
Day 2 Shane wins 43-26
Day 3 Dennis wins 54-39

The key missed 9 ball that arguably cost Shane the match when leading 114-109
:D

114-109.JPG

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... What was the most Dennis was down today?

Dennis' biggest deficit on Day 3 was 18, after Shane won the day's first 4 games to take it to 66-84.

Dennis whittled that lead down to 6 to get to 92-98. Then Shane built up the lead again to put Dennis behind by 16 at 96-112.

Then, the last 31 games (Dennis' scores first):

- Dennis won 9 in a row to take it to 105-112.
- Shane won 2 to put it at 105-114.
- Dennis won 12 in a row to take the lead 117-114.
- Shane won 3 in a row to tie it at 117.
- Dennis won 1, to take the lead 118-117.
- Shane won 2 to get on the hill 118-119.
- Dennis won the last 2 and the match 120-119.

poolpimp13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis' biggest deficit on Day 3 was 18, after Shane won the day's first 4 games to take it to 66-84.

Dennis whittled that lead down to 6 to get to 92-98. Then Shane built up the lead again to put Dennis behind by 16 at 96-112.

This like Earl's match isn't about a great comeback as it is about a great choke job in both matches.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This like Earl's match isn't about a great comeback as it is about a great choke job in both matches.

Of course in both matches there had to be some let up for the other guy to comeback, but Efren and Dennis both played great pool too

TxOnePocket

i'm ur huckleberry
Silver Member
While watching the final day I took a few things away from the players.

#1 - I firmly believe Shane was having back problems on the final day, while I know it's not an excuse those of us with back issues know that once the pain sets in it takes over your bod and your mind. He seemed to keep tugging at his left hip, we've all had considerable time off and we've all heard that he had taken some deserved time off during COVID vacation to fish/spend time with family/relax. You body needs those everyday reps, I would imagine EVEN MORE in a crazy three day grind with 1 break a day. It was reported after Dennis sake the winning ball and the celebration started Shane stayed seated for a considerable amount of time, like he didn't even want to get up one more time.

#2 Dennis was all over the place and his planned break was not going to get him a win that was for sure, so he adapted to Shane's decided break, this changed the tides by quite a bit and looked to instill major confidence in him after Shane basically owned him at will on day 2.

#3 Deleted, was a little over board.

#4 On Day 3, Shane melted down, which might have been the biggest meltdown we have ever seen in one of these types of matches, He was unconfident the majority of the day ( totally unlike him ) and he missed several routine balls that you would book him making 1000/1000 times, He hooked Dennis late in the day needing just three games to win and then didn't even watch to see if Dennis got a good hit ( which he didn't, Dennis clearly fouled on that jump shot ) and i'll not even mention the straight in nine ball to go up 115 to 109. It was a full day of mental breakdowns for Shane, tired, back pain, idk but it wasn't the Shane we have known for almost 15 years, Mr. InControl Mr. Consistency.

After watching this crazyness I have came to 1 conclusion for sure.

Joshua Filler is the best Rotation Player on the Planet @JoshuaFiller

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Figured out the break? Didn’t they both scratch at least a couple of times each in those last crucial games? Players at that level using a break template Is just a little too easy, particularly playing a winner breaks format. If they’d been playing on 4 inch pockets - that would’ve eliminated over half of the break and runs!

It was a risky cut break but they were both pocketing the corner ball nearly every time, not easy to do with the 9 ball racked on the spot. There were a lot of B and R's.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Are you going to do break stats?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could have the opposite affect and he'll quit pool and go fishing the rest of his life. One never knows. This will mess with his head for sure, IMO. One thing I'd bet on for sure though, is that Shane will never in his life ever gamble at 9 ball again.

You don't know Shane.

He will admit the time off played a role. It has to, but I think he did right to just allow himself the time off. He's financially sound and it was a healthy choice for him..

Someday he will do nothing but fish...that's not today.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
so much woofing in last nights live chat.

summary:
DO knows how to train SVB killers.

Team USA should payup and train with filipinos while coached by JJ and CJ, its the only way to have a consistent chance against Team Europe.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a risky cut break but they were both pocketing the corner ball nearly every time, not easy to do with the 9 ball racked on the spot. There were a lot of B and R's.
We play our weekly nine ball tournaments with an Accu rack template and the nine ball racked on the spot. When you get that cut break working, the one ball goes in the opposite side pocket from the side of the table you’re breaking on, and one or sometimes two balls go in the corner pocket on the same side you are breaking on. It’s a devastating break, but if you catch the head ball just a hair too high, the cue ball can track straight in to the side pocket instead of into the side rail just above the side pocket.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't know Shane.

He will admit the time off played a role. It has to, but I think he did right to just allow himself the time off. He's financially sound and it was a healthy choice for him..

Someday he will do nothing but fish...that's not today.

You don't know Shane either. You may very likely be right, but you never know.

I don't think he is going to quit or anything like that but I think this is a big tipping point for Shane. He's been the top dawg for a long time but he knows he can't be the best forever.

Shane seems to be slowly losing his confidence over the past few years. It started with him falling a little short at the major international tournaments against the new younger players. Then it continued when he under performed in the recent Mosconi Cups when US really needed him to step up. Espeically that ugly Mosconi match he played against Jayson Shaw where he cracked under pressure. Now he choked in this long race against Dennis.

With the Mosconi Cup right around the corner, he may be started to question his abilities. I wouldn't want to be inside his head right now. It's not looking good...

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No way Shane plays Filler 9b now. They were set to make it happen til Filler had to go back to Germany. Filler will have to play 10b if he wants a match.