Unheated Uncooled Room for Table

bakerla

I am contemplating purchasing an upscale used 8’ pool table (in good shape) and setting it up in my little used three season room. The room is big enough but is unheated and uncooled. I would like to hear from folks who have tried this and get their opinion on whether this is could work. The room is attached to the house. Because of the windows it will get hotter than the outside summer temperatures, but in winter not as cold as outside. I reside in the Chicago area and estimate the max temperature would be around 100F, and the minimum temperature around10F. I am OK with a situation where I have more frequent maintenance than usual. I just don’t want to ruin the table.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am contemplating purchasing an upscale used 8’ pool table (in good shape) and setting it up in my little used three season room. The room is big enough but is unheated and uncooled. I would like to hear from folks who have tried this and get their opinion on whether this is could work. The room is attached to the house. Because of the windows it will get hotter than the outside summer temperatures, but in winter not as cold as outside. I reside in the Chicago area and estimate the max temperature would be around 100F, and the minimum temperature around10F. I am OK with a situation where I have more frequent maintenance than usual. I just don’t want to ruin the table.

It will be fine.

Even if the climate changes do ruin it, it will take years to get there and if you amortize your cost, a throwaway table that lasts 5+ years will be worth every penny.

What is an upscale table anyway?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Home or commercial table? Does it have pressed-wood/particle board in it?? If its a home-style table a lot of them have particle-board and it doesn't like high humidity or big temp. swings.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a mini-split heat pump/AC installed. I had one installed and love it, they are super efficient so not really an issue on cost to operate. If you don't control the temp and humidity there will be issues, no matter what table is installed.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
It will be fine.

Even if the climate changes do ruin it, it will take years to get there and if you amortize your cost, a throwaway table that lasts 5+ years will be worth every penny.

What is an upscale table anyway?

AKA "fancy eatin' table"

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 268

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
bar table on the patio

I have a bar table on the patio. Deliberately bought it because they are as tough as nails and passed on a very nice furniture table.

My experience says that the table is too miserable to play on except from low fifties to low eighties. Others may have a wider tolerance but sweat dripping everywhere and getting on the cue shaft is an issue for me. A fan is a definite help on the high side, you are going to have to heat on the low side. A caution, some of the infrared and small portable heaters use a ridiculous amount of electricity, over thirty dollars a month and my company is pretty cheap.

My experience with window type AC units, 240V is much cheaper to operate than 120V units. Second hand information, the modern through wall units seem to be the way to go. Cry a little upfront for long term usability of the room.

They make a portable AC unit that rolls around. Dealt with three that worked very poorly, one worked great.

The sheet foam insulation with UV barrier to cover those windows is a serious consideration too. Can order it very thick or use double layers. Might take 15 degrees off of the high side just doing that. In general, insulation is a good investment. errant balls won't break foam like they will glass either.

Just a few thoughts. My neighbor loved visiting my cue shop. Well constructed and insulated I could easily heat it or run the temperature down to sixty-eight or seventy degrees on the hottest days of summer with the AC only running occasionally.

I am thinking about some temporary walls for the patio for wintertime play.

A final note: Temperatures from seventy-five to eighty-five only makes a small difference in how my cushions play. From low fifties to low sixties makes a world of difference. Close to two ball widths on just a one rail cross side bank. No idea how moving down colder than that will affect cushions.

I think controlling temperature reasonably well will make for many more hours of playing time on the table.

Hu

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An all wooden table that likely retailed at $2000+ which I plan to purchase used.

It would be best to post pics. Who is the manufacturer? No offense, but a brand new table for $2K would not be in the upper echelon of tables. You'd be better of searching for a used Gold Crown near you.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cold wreaks the rubber in the cushions.

Heat and sunshine thru a window aren't kind to cushions either 😉

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in the Chicago area and had a GC1 in my garage for about 10 years. In the winter I would put an electric heater in the garage and get the temp up to the mid 50’s. It was a good practice table and the temperatures did not hurt the table. I finally bought a house with a basement and moved the table were it plays well today.

If you want to get better you need to practice so I would recommend “do it”. You can find lots of good tables from anywhere between free and $500 so I wouldn’t worry to much about the table. You’ll save hundreds of $ on table time.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
as long as the wind isnt blowing in, an electric heater will keep it fairly warm. and in the summer or even winter open the door to the house and let the air conditioning or heat come in. or buy one of those air conditioners that run a duct pipe out a window or hole and are free standing. they lower the indoor temp 20 plus degrees or more.