Thinking about writing a book...

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I was just thinking about trying out writing for a little bit.

The stories, although maybe boring, would be true. With plenty of detail and background, and colorful characters.

Some names changed, others (maybe?) would remain the same?

Obviously wouldn't publish anything until legal counsel looks the name part over.

Was wondering what everyone thinks about (yet another) pool book.

The read would be geared towards the seasoned player, as if someone that knows what I'm talking about would read it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Jay has written books, ask him about your idea, if they made money, an if worth effort. Anyone can write a book, few clean up with big sales numbers.

Last edited:

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some people it’s not about making money. It’s about telling their story. If you got a good story to tell I read it.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
sounds like a good table read for pros long retired from the game

and inspiration for new players coming up

they have no idea what billiards before the jump cue or racking with the triangle is like.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I'll ask Jay about it,

honestly not expecting to make any money on it. Just want to get my story (or some of it) out there.

It may not be an exciting read, or it may be great for some.

To me, getting it out of my mind and onto paper would help me relive those moments.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a story to tell I say go for it.

In the words of Mark Twain:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll ask Jay about it,

honestly not expecting to make any money on it. Just want to get my story (or some of it) out there.

To me, getting it out of my mind and onto paper would help me relive those moments.

Message sent.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just want to get my story (or some of it) out there.

the lick..if you feel compelled to write, write
if we feel compelled to read, we will do that
go for it tho!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
For some people it’s not about making money. It’s about telling their story. If you got a good story to tell I read it.

I know an old bag who is a heavy duty bible stomper, she has written two or three book, self published them with a micro printer. The subject has been her relationship with God. Told her I though she would never break even on the painting cost, she is no high profile avenge list, she has sold like less then 20% of her books.

Doing a book right is lots of work, sucess is is better for the known writter, if you are unknown, your chance of braking into the big time are slim.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Three tips for you to consider:

If you want to write books, read books.

The first chapter and the last chapter are the least difficult. The rest, that is the real work.

Someone needs to die. Death sells.

Good luck

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
write the book jacket first,

its easier to sell the pitch than produce the whole book.

Is it TCOM for cowboys?

The story of Rudy in pool?

stuff like that. saves time most stories have parallels, from what i hear.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well just remember your chances if getting a heck yes on your first draft are poor. Sometime people pitch ideas or product for years before they hit a home Run.

The Chicken Colonel - Harlan Sander was an old guy before he got his grand slam homer.

Intresting story.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-kfc-founder-colonel-sanders-achieved-success-in-his-60s-2015-6

How many fukcing times does he have to repeat that he isn't hoping to get rich off it or sell a lot of them?

Are you on the same azbilliards as the rest of us?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll ask Jay about it,

One of the more interesting courses I took in college was an elective, called the writer and her work. There's a book by that name and the author was the teacher of the class.

It was a semester about how (non-technical writing) is largely a form of therapy for the writer.

I say go for it

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Write it, the worst thing that could happen is that nobody reads it. I wrote a book about the people I grew up with and had my wife read it . She said , these are true stories aren't they , I said yes , every one of them , she said , no one will ever believe it. It's too impossible for the mind to conceive to be reality.
I will give one example and you decide.
One of them needs some carpet for a living room, he calls his partner and they go to a big chain local carpet store and start talking to the salesman, then they get another one involved , soon they have almost all of the emloyees helping unroll this huge carpet 8 feet in front of the front window and door. After everyone is behind the carpet but him , the biggest of them , comes out the front door with a roll of carpet that was between the door and everyone behind the other roll , runs it to the truck, and drives off.
The other guy decides he will come back with his wife later and leaves a big mess ,and meets him a couple of blocks away. How do I know this,
I was driving past in the parking lot and watched it, and the guy with the carpet saw me and waved.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Write it, the worst thing that could happen is that nobody reads it. I wrote a book about the people I grew up with and had my wife read it . She said , these are true stories aren't they , I said yes , every one of them , she said , no one will ever believe it. It's too impossible for the mind to conceive to be reality.
I will give one example and you decide.
One of them needs some carpet for a living room, he calls his partner and they go to a big chain local carpet store and start talking to the salesman, then they get another one involved , soon they have almost all of the emloyees helping unroll this huge carpet 8 feet in front of the front window and door. After everyone is behind the carpet but him , the biggest of them , comes out the front door with a roll of carpet that was between the door and everyone behind the other roll , runs it to the truck, and drives off.
The other guy decides he will come back with his wife later and leaves a big mess ,and meets him a couple of blocks away. How do I know this,
I was driving past in the parking lot and watched it, and the guy with the carpet saw me and waved.

Sounds like a few of my stories in More Pool Wars. People have come up to me and asked me if that really happened, referring to one of the stories. Sometimes I look back and can hardly believe it myself that I did some of that stuff and survived. I damn sure wouldn't do it now! ;)

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Black-Balled said about therapy is very true. Deep in my computer are short stories from my twenty nine years on the job. Mostly things I remember only on sleepless nights. That's because I pushed them out of my consciousness forty years ago.

"Death sells". I stopped counting when I zipped up my 125th. body bag. Writing the stories is cathartic. Beyond that it doesn't matter. I'm content with my life.

You want to write a book, absolutely go for it. Just don't tell yourself you'll make any money.