Favorite method to keep bridge hand slick

TrevorB

Registered
So, I’m a new table owner. Currently just have a couple old Dufferin house cues. I have a new 2 piece cue on the way.

My hands get super clammy/sweaty when I play and and I struggle to cue smoothly through my bridge.

What’s the favorite method to keep my hands dry and cue action smooth. I initially thought I wanted the hand chalk cone, but I hear that’s messy. Don’t want a mess.

I’d love to hear everyone’s favorite choice.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The old Dufferins are likely dirty. I would clean them once with #300 sandpaper followed by #600 sandpaper. If they look really dirty, you could try rubbing alcohol or even a damp towel to start with. One cleaning will not take off enough wood to worry about.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
The old Dufferins are likely dirty. I would clean them once with #300 sandpaper followed by #600 sandpaper. If they look really dirty, you could try rubbing alcohol or even a damp towel to start with. One cleaning will not take off enough wood to worry about.

Um, no. Start with 600 and go to 800 to smooth them.

If you use 320 grit, goodbye shafts

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I’m a new table owner. Currently just have a couple old Dufferin house cues. I have a new 2 piece cue on the way.

My hands get super clammy/sweaty when I play and and I struggle to cue smoothly through my bridge.

What’s the favorite method to keep my hands dry and cue action smooth. I initially thought I wanted the hand chalk cone, but I hear that’s messy. Don’t want a mess.

Thanks in advance.

Carbon fiber shaft, wiping down the shaft at the start of every session with a dab of isopropyl alcohol on a cloth, then wiping off, and using a finger wrap.

What I used to use on my wood shaft - step sanding with 1500 grit and 3000 grit sandpaper and an occasional wipe down with a dab of isopropyl alcohol on a cloth.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

Thanks in advance.

So this is kind of tangentially related. If your Dufferin cues are covered with clear coat, get some super find sandpaper. The wet sanding type, as find of grit as you can find in a hardware store or auto store. Lightly sand along the length of the shaft with dry paper in the areas your stroke touches. Don't take the clear coat off, just smooth it a bit. I find lightly sanded clear coat slides much better than shiny thick unsanded stuff. This will turn most house cues into cues that are nice to play with.

The best way to keep them slick, is to wash your hands. I read somewhere to wash your hands in as hot of water as you can. Dry them completely then wash in the coldest water you can. Dry them completely and you're ready to play.

There is talc/baby powerder, monkey butt powder, but these make a mess. Gloves are cheap and work well. You'll feel like a dork the first time you try them, but they do work for sticky hands.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks in advance.

Try a glove. My hands dont sweat but the guy I play with solved his
problem with a glove

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He also said 300grit
And I was talking about old Dufferin (one-piece?) house cues that likely have 20 years of oil buildup on them. The sort that will happily fill the grit of 300 in 30 seconds of work. But I may have misunderstood what the OP is dealing with.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Trevor ... my $.02 highly recommends "Unglove finger wraps". All the advantages of a glove and just three fingers which are your cue fingers are covered. I tried on a whim and have never gone back.