Using "Center Ball" - is it good advice or a hidden disadvantage?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously or just sarcasm? MC did start out as a British made-4-tv exhibition but it quickly morphed into a 'us-vs.-them' grudge match. Been some great matches and high drama in the series.
It has never interested me.

Races are too short.

It is a crap shoot with dramatic flair.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has never interested me.

Races are too short.

It is a crap shoot with dramatic flair.
In this format with tv time limitations short races are the norm. You have to play good right out of the gate or you get beat. I've watched a bunch of them and pure luck has not been that big of a factor. Best player/team wins about every time. Pressure is brutal. Seen WORLD CHAMPIONS dog it under this kinda heat.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's some other things to consider to help your shotmaking, 34YearsOfPlayin....wow, mine has almost been 50 years, hard to believe!

There's two trains of thought when playing rotation games. One is to let the table dictate what shot you hit. That would mean you look at the shot and it tells you what speed, what spin, and what angle (is the best to get on your next shot).

The other way is what I'm suggesting. Develop a shot that enables you to maximize the pocket size. This means you line up to undercut the shot slightly (aim in the pocket, but on the "undercut side") and then either spin it, or deflect it to overcut{side} slightly.

Earl spins to accomplish this and I deflect it to "throw it in the pocket." I want to look at the table situation and MAKE my shot fit the scenario. I know this is not the "conventional" way of playing, but it's very effective and works great on tight, worn equipment. On new, fast cloth you shouldn't hit the shots quite as firm.

My preference is to over-cut the ball slightly with a "Touch" of Inside because I can get a more consistent result by adjusting my speed, rather than my "aim". Then you can start playing a consistent angle as well. This means you're controlling the angle, the speed, and the spin according to your preference, not because the "table tells you the shot."

Sounds backwards, however, think about it, how well could you play if you hit the same speed, {same}place on the cue ball, and{same} angle{most}every time?

If I undercut a shot I hit it firmer and accelerate more next time. If you miss the same shot hitting a "slow spin shot," you don't really know what happened if you miss. There's more calulations, so therefore more variables to deal with.

This doesn't enable you to play a lot better, but it does enable you to know why you don't make shots. It's vitally important, when you don't make one to immediately know what happened exactly!

If you make an adjustment that's incorrect it could throw you off temporately enough to lose a whole match or gambling set. The amount of money involved in matches I've played prohibited this type of guessing. I had to KNOW!

When you spin the ball or try to hit center and miss there's a lot more variatables and it's difficult to know and adjust for "misses". This effects your ability to maximize "margin of error."

"The difference between an amateur and a professional is an amateur will practice until they CAN make shots and a professional will practice until they CAN'T miss shots."
The Game is the Teacher
Thank you for taking so much effort into explaining. It is not everyday you get to get instruction from a true master of the game

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this format with tv time limitations short races are the norm. You have to play good right out of the gate or you get beat. I've watched a bunch of them and pure luck has not been that big of a factor. Best player/team wins about every time. Pressure is brutal. Seen WORLD CHAMPIONS dog it under this kinda heat.
And?

Are you saying a World Champion is not the “better player” because he lost a short race?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Sounds like you're talking about a "center of pocket" that's inside it somewhere. That's not a useful center for aiming purposes - the pocket's "center" for aiming purposes is at its mouth, midway between the pocket points, which can be seen clearly from everywhere.

pj
chgo
Not disagreeing, but I'd like to play you on my oversize 8 olhausen. Middle of pocket at an angle is between the point and where the facing you can see intersects the "hole" of the pocket. Now that I gave my secret though, I don't think I want to play for money! 😆 Center of pocket can change a bit depending on equipment, not trying to be pedantic, just offering a bit of extra info.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you're talking about a "center of pocket" that's inside it somewhere. That's not a useful center for aiming purposes - the pocket's "center" for aiming purposes is at its mouth, midway between the pocket points, which can be seen clearly from everywhere.

pj
chgo
You can't see the perspective of the object ball to center, that's why Johnny Archer steps over to look at that specific perspective sometimes.

I remember, we were sitting in our suite at the 2012 Mosconi Cup and I ask Johnny why he did that?!?

He answered "to give my subconscious another perspective of the shot"

"so you don't. look at a contact point, or bring back to your shooting position anything to aim at?"

"No"

The Game is the Teacher

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have never paid much attention to the Mosconi Cup.

It always appeared to me to be more of an “exhibition” than a pool tournament.

What year did pj play on the team.
The races are short, the table is soft, and it is designed to be a show. It's still really good for pool, back in the 90s pool was on ESPN every week and we pulled a million+ viewers average per episode. Players didn't realize how much value that gave them, the game, and their endorsement opportunities. If a company knows you might get on ESPN they will pay many times more to make sure you use their product.

The American team have their hands full, that's for sure, however, I know it will be close, and could go either way the last day.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not disagreeing, but I'd like to play you on my oversize 8 olhausen. Middle of pocket at an angle is between the point and where the facing you can see intersects the "hole" of the pocket. Now that I gave my secret though, I don't think I want to play for money! 😆 Center of pocket can change a bit depending on equipment, not trying to be pedantic, just offering a bit of extra info.
All you have to do is set up a spot shot and from your vantage point try to see the center relative to the object ball. It's obviously impossible and as you move the object ball further down it gets even more ludicrous to see the center from the object ball's perspective. That's why some players go look at the shot from the object ball, I don't recommend that, it's not necessary if you use the aiming/playing system I recommend.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
All you have to do is set up a spot shot and from your vantage point try to see the center relative to the object ball.
The center of the pocket mouth is visible from everywhere on the table. What does “the center relative to the object ball” mean?

pj
chgo

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The center of the pocket mouth is visible from everywhere on the table. What does “the center relative to the object ball” mean?

pj
chgo
The center relative to the object ball means from the perspective of the object ball where is the center of the pocket. I'm pretty sure you weren't thinking the center from the perspective of the cueball, if that's the case it explains why you are so confused about this topic.

Like I said in one of my last posts, set up a spot shot, with the cueball behind the line - now look at the center of the designated pocket from the perspective of the object ball.....it's not possible. To make it even more difficult, move the cue ball down 12 inches and try it again.....even more visually impossible.

Now, in comparison, do what I am suggesting, look at the left side of the pocket, the point is a precise reference. You can see this from the vantage point of the cueball, because the point of the side, or corner pocket is fixed, the center of the pocket is Not fixed because it's always congruent with the position of the object ball, relative to the cueball.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only if you're rolling it in super softly and want to flirt with the death rattle! :)
The warrior Road Players used to say "$hooting $oftly AND for $ides is for $uckers!"

Playing in perfect conditions with fast cloth doesn't punish players for "slow rolling" shots like it does in pool room conditions, with tables that usually have a slight drift, and cloth that is worn. Back in the days when gambling was popular all over this country, the places you had to perform to win the tens of thousands were virtually always tricky/gaffed up.

There was one table at a pool room that had BIG ACTION that they actually had "JUICED UP" with an electromagnetic component.....this is information Ill take to the grave, out of respect for the people involved. I will say they tried it on me and I still beat them, I hit everything FIRM with the Touch of Inside, so magnetic energy had no effect of my object all placement.

The Game is the Teacher

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The center relative to the object ball means from the perspective of the object ball where is the center of the pocket. I'm pretty sure you weren't thinking the center from the perspective of the cueball
The center of the pocket's mouth is the same viewed from either ball's position - and from everywhere else on the table. That's what makes it the best "center" for aiming purposes.
, if that's the case it explains why you are so confused about this topic.
I agree there's some confusion... we might differ on whose it is.

pj
chgo

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The center of the pocket's mouth is the same viewed from either ball's position - and from everywhere else on the table. That's what makes it the best "center" for aiming purposes.

I agree there's some confusion... we might differ on whose it is.

pj
chgo
So the center of the pocket is the same for an object ball on the cushion as it is for the object ball on the spot? LoL - Wow, you need to reevaluate your position, it's not realistic on a real pool table, maybe somehow on a video version, but I doubt it!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the center of the pocket is the same for an object ball on the cushion as it is for the object ball on the spot? LoL - Wow, you need to reevaluate your position, it's not realistic on a real pool table, maybe somehow on a video version, but I doubt it!
CJ,

He is a Pool Scientist.

Do not question pool scientists.

Just agree with them, spot them, and take their money.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Looks realistic to me. Of course, I'm not a champion...

pj
chgo

center.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mexican stand-off. Wanna borrow a tape measure? Its obvious neither one is gonna give an inch here. Just sayin. ;)