Mosconi Cup Day Two

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I missed the matches yesterday, but I'm trying to catch up. Reading this thread is telling, I guess. USA is not performing at the same caliber as last year.

But I don't see how blame can be dispersed to anyone. First and foremost, USA was in a lockdown with most pool competitions closed. Europe, on the other hand, did have a few tournaments in recent months. Justin Bergman was replaced by Corey Deuel, and Corey didn't have enough time to prepare as in other years. Jeremy Jones and Joey Gray are excellent coaches, but they were not afforded the same amenities as Johann like having the players travel to Russia and competing on an international scale. This year, quite frankly, sucked for pool in USA.

Team Europe's comradery is strong, like a well-oiled machine. Each one is close with each other. Our team, I noticed Joey Gray was talking to Corey Deuel on the rail while other USA members were in combat, and I never once saw Corey speak back to him. It was as if Corey was uncomfortable talking to Joey. He was emotionless and almost nonresponsive.

And let's face it. Team USA has made some mistakes, as has Team Europe, but those mistakes cost us matches that might have narrowed the score.

I hope to watch some today, but today may be the last day, I guess. I appreciate and congratulate Matchroom for giving the players a beautiful stage, with excellent commentary. They could have canceled, like most other pool events did this year, but they went forward. Each player is guaranteed a payday, whether it's 30 large or 10K, and without the gate monies due to no audience and the cost of this venue with the production crew and flown-in commentators, Matchroom still gave us the Mosconi Cup XXVII.

It's not fun losing, but, heck, it's better than nothing at all.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team Europe can't win without that stupid tiger. Somebody should go hide it.

Attachments

• 20201203_Mosconi_2020_tgw_D5X_7496.jpg
    20201203_Mosconi_2020_tgw_D5X_7496.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 75

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I actually had trouble with the stream today but it was more my device. Using roku that’s built into my tv I couldn’t access it. I changed over to my apple tv and no problem accept it froze briefly for the last match.

I don’t know what to say about this years team. We didn’t play terrible just not good enough to win the hill hill matches. It’s over honestly. I surely won’t be racing home to watch this when I get off work today.
I wish you could of watched. Our Guy's did good. Chris Robinson over cooked the seven and missed shape on the eight. His first Mosconi Cup. Against the World Champion. He won't do that next year. The rest of the matches that were Hill Hill were decided by the Pool Gods. Not in our favor. All in all I am proud of your Guy's. They fought a hell of a fight today.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great play by shaw. overall better play on day 2, some excellent kicking at display too.

it's hard to say anything on why the american team plays worse than last year, because it's been such a weird year. there are some signs of a lacking comradery but it's not as tangible as it was in the pre-johann years.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[QUOTE="JAM, post: 6812828, member: 2568"First and foremost, USA was in a lockdown with most pool competitions closed. Europe, on the other hand, did have a few tournaments in recent months. Justin Bergman was replaced by Corey Deuel, and Corey didn't have enough time to prepare as in other years.

Team Europe's comradery is strong, like a well-oiled machine. Each one is close with each other. Our team, I noticed Joey Gray was talking to Corey Deuel on the rail while other USA members were in combat, and I never once saw Corey speak back to him [/QUOTE].

As an European, I find your reasoning hilarious. Europe is not one entity, it's a collection of countries which all have been or still are on lockdown e.g. Austria where Albin is from, Russia where Fedor is from or the UK - which is why no spectators. Russia doesn't truly consider itself European and they need a visa to go anywhere. There haven't been any major tournaments that I know of and traveling has been difficult to impossible. Jason lives in the US I think so he was on the same boat as the Americans. The captain and the players worked exclusively via Zoom and they met for the first time at the venue. In contrast the US team have been together to at least one tournament in Texas and JJ stated that he traveled and worked with Shane and a couple others in person.

Regarding the camaraderie, each of Europe's representatives is from a different country and they all have different mother tongues and have to communicate in English which is spoken natively only by Jason. They grew up in very different cultures and don't have much in common other than pool. Well oiled machine? Far from that. Being European is not something that people identify with here, their allegiance is to their respective countries. The US team on the other hand share the same language and culture and they actually represent their own country. I believe that at least Shane and Billy and Skyler are personal friends.

None of your arguments favors team Europe.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
No Brits after this year for team Europe. After Brexit they will just be orphans, neither fish nor fowl!(grin)

Hu

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the last 7 years (2013 through 2019), the team that won the lag won 70 of the 115 matches played (61%). Only once (last year at 37%) was that percentage below 50%. One year (2017) it was 100%.
My guess would be that the team winning the lag does so because they are more focused or in better shape which are the same attributes that help them win those matches. I doubt that breaking first automatically causes them to win the matches. Yesterday US was up 2-0 on 2 or 3 of the matches in spite of not wining the lag.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully his maturity level will improve along the way too. Same could be said for a couple of the American players as well.
I don't think your assertion is necessarily correct, for two undeniable reasons:

1- he's German. The cultural perspective you (I...anybody) judge him from is comparing oranges to grapefruits.
B) he's fukcin THRILLED to successful. Flip side: for every high there is a low. He will need to deal with this in order to endure the valleys he will surely experience if he stays with competitive pro pool for the long term.

And second, being a pro player hasn't yet done its number on him. He's only a young adult. Lots of great players have been reduced to top 100 field fodder after a couple years of the snafu that pro pool is.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As an European, I find your reasoning hilarious. Europe is not one entity, it's a collection of countries which all have been or still are on lockdown e.g. Austria where Albin is from, Russia where Fedor is from or the UK - which is why no spectators. Russia doesn't truly consider itself European and they need a visa to go anywhere. There haven't been any major tournaments that I know of and traveling has been difficult to impossible. Jason lives in the US I think so he was on the same boat as the Americans. The captain and the players worked exclusively via Zoom and they met for the first time at the venue. In contrast the US team have been together to at least one tournament in Texas and JJ stated that he traveled and worked with Shane and a couple others in person.

Regarding the camaraderie, each of Europe's representatives is from a different country and they all have different mother tongues and have to communicate in English which is spoken natively only by Jason. They grew up in very different cultures and don't have much in common other than pool. Well oiled machine? Far from that. Being European is not something that people identify with here, their allegiance is to their respective countries. The US team on the other hand share the same language and culture and they actually represent their own country. I believe that at least Shane and Billy and Skyler are personal friends.

None of your arguments favors team Europe.

Nobody is arguing here. At least I am not. But I can see where you like to argue. Same old crap here on AzBilliards. Can't enjoy this kind of back-and-forth. I was paying them a compliment. What a goofball!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha...I hope the poster who literally typed, "...US better start practicing the lag" in the last couple days comes forward to take a bow.

At least we now know why we lost, lol.
"I"ll play 'ya lags, five ahead for a dime". Said no one. Ever.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Brits are leaving the European Union. No one is physically picking up the country and taking it out of Europe.
It's just the same for Switzerland. They are in Europe, but have never been in the European Union.

Ahh, but physically the Brits aren't in Europe, never have been!

Hu

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
I don't think your assertion is necessarily correct, for two undeniable reasons:

1- he's German. The cultural perspective you (I...anybody) judge him from is comparing oranges to grapefruits.
B) he's fukcin THRILLED to successful. Flip side: for every high there is a low. He will need to deal with this in order to endure the valleys he will surely experience if he stays with competitive pro pool for the long term.

And second, being a pro player hasn't yet done its number on him. He's only a young adult. Lots of great players have been reduced to top 100 field fodder after a couple years of the snafu that pro pool is.
I appreciate your feedback, but stand by my statement. I'm familiar with German culture as I lived there for a couple of years and experienced it first hand. Fantastic bunch of people.

I'd be thrilled too if I had his level of skill and success, but it doesn't mean I would carry myself the way he does - despite the cultural differences. Maturity is maturity - look at Ralph Souquet for example.

I do like his game and very much appreciate his skill level. He is an amazing talent and I respect the amount of work he must have had to put in order to get there. I just hope he comes into a level of maturity that is expected of a champion. I'm sure he will.