Need advise

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Better overall? Of course not. Jerry has 7 decades of experience teaching. In this case, clearly. I love and respect Jerry to the moon, but the SPF instructor with a great video analysis technique is superior to anybody else out there.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
so you think steve is better than jerry?

Leigh

Registered
Leigh...You must get your stroke process video analyzed. I suggested going to see PBIA instructor Steve Sherman, at the time you were going to see Jerry. I stand by this...get it done now.

Scott Lee
Will do, Scott! I should be able to sometime in the spring.

Leigh

Registered
After one week of spending 99% of my practice time doing straight in drills and working on my mental triggers, I have seen a huge improvement. I have been keeping record and my percentage has shot up by 38%!! I am 90% dead accurate on follow and stop shots, but on the draw shots my percentage is still very low of having the ball come back PRECISELY where I started, but it is improving.
I can chalk the improvements to:
1) being honest with myself of what the problem is and practice that problem, not the stuff I find more enjoyable. It can get boring, but keeping notes of what works and the numbers makes it more fun, so you can watch the improvements from day to day. My stroke is SO much straighter

2) put in positive triggers that sets a series of cues in motion. I still have to purposely do this, but it is getting to be a little more habitual each time.

I listen to all of your advice. I keep what works and if something doesn’t work for me right then, I know it might come into play later in my game.

Because of my job, I can’t be in league or get lessons right now, but I can keep practicing.
Stupid jobs....

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I am 90% dead accurate on follow and stop shots, but on the draw shots my percentage is still very low of having the ball come back PRECISELY where I started, but it is improving.
The draw shots are by far the hardest to control for such drills. For follow and stop shots, you can have much larger errors in where and how hard you hit the cue ball. For draw shots, you must hit the right distance below center and very close to the required speed.

Leigh

Registered
The draw shots are by far the hardest to control for such drills. For follow and stop shots, you can have much larger errors in where and how hard you hit the cue ball. For draw shots, you must hit the right distance below center and very close to the required speed.
I downloaded your progressive practice drills from the SF Billiards site. Thanks for posting the resource!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I downloaded your progressive practice drills from the SF Billiards site. Thanks for posting the resource!
You're welcome. You may want to try the Wagon Wheel drill after you get your straight draw shots worked out. The WW adds angle to the equation.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so you think steve is better than jerry?
What is with you Larry? Why are you trying to stir something up? You're comparing apples to oranges. Jerry is top-of-mind when it comes to instruction! He is my mentor and a 40 year friend. I am honored to be considered in the same company as Jerry. That said, Randyg and I have perfected SPF instruction with highly detailed video analysis (which we teach to our growing group of SPF instructors). Leigh has already had a great lesson with Jerry, and learned many things (moreso because I spent a lot of time helping prepare her for her lesson). The next step for her continued improvement is to get a complete video analysis from a qualified professional instructor. IMO Steve Sherman fills the bill better than any other Arizona instructor, of any rank. Is that clear enough for you?

Scott Lee

Leigh

Registered
Here is the info I got from Scott:
(First, I was THRILLED to get a message from Scott offering to help!! I cannot believe such great coaches are so willing to help a newbie.)
SPF - IN DETAIL - I go back to this again and again and again. Whenever I am off... this is where I start. Getting walked through this process was invaluable.
Eye pattern - crucial and game-changing for me
stroke and follow-through ( I had no clue why my follow-through is so short, when I follow all the way through... he helped me understand that this is my physiology)
Keep in mind that this lesson was on the phone, he could not even SEE me and it helped my game exponentially. I would never have been able to absorb as much as I did from Jerry without this. He was VERY encouraging and helped me formulate a practice plan. Again... all on the phone, sight unseen... it was unbelievable.
Here is what I got from Jerry - what can I say? I may as well of spent my day with a rock star, I was so excited. He really taught me how to move the cue ball around, how to trust my stroke, how to practice, and a million other things. Most of all he gave me the confidence I needed. (He was also very complimentary about Scott as a person and what he had taught me.) He had me doing full table length stop shots in about five minutes. He is positive, encouraging, not a bit arrogant, and I would gladly be his bestie should the need arise. I just really liked him.
Just my two cents.
I know that everyone here respects both coaches, as I do. And I am looking forward to getting a video of my stroke at some point in the near future. And if I am ever in Florida, I will have a lesson with Scott if he can fit me in his schedule.
I appreciate you all.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is with you Larry? Why are you trying to stir something up? You're comparing apples to oranges. Jerry is top-of-mind when it comes to instruction! He is my mentor and a 40 year friend. I am honored to be considered in the same company as Jerry. That said, Randyg and I have perfected SPF instruction with highly detailed video analysis (which we teach to our growing group of SPF instructors). Leigh has already had a great lesson with Jerry, and learned many things (moreso because I spent a lot of time helping prepare her for her lesson). The next step for her continued improvement is to get a complete video analysis from a qualified professional instructor. IMO Steve Sherman fills the bill better than any other Arizona instructor, of any

Leigh...You must get your stroke process video analyzed. I suggested going to see PBIA instructor Steve Sherman, at the time you were going to see Jerry. I stand by this...get it done now.

Scott Lee
you also said this it did not get quoted for some reason
Better overall? Of course not. Jerry has 7 decades of experience teaching. In this case, clearly. I love and respect Jerry to the moon, but the SPF instructor with a great video analysis technique is superior to anybody else out there.
Scott Lee

scott
you told leigh to see steve not jerry in the post above
i am not trying to stir anything up
i was surprised you didnt tell her to see jerry again .....thats all
jerry is the grand master of spf and you, randy ,and mark wilson (i believe )are his disciples
and are responsible for the strength of the spf community

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some day when I'm no longer a member of any instructor organization and no longer bound by their code of ethics, I'll have a lot to say about several instructors and their methods, both on and off the table.

Reactions: bbb

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some day when I'm no longer a member of any instructor organization and no longer bound by their code of ethics, I'll have a lot to say about several instructors and their methods, both on and off the table.

Powerful words here.

When will that day be? Why do you have to wait? Cant you just cancel your so-called membership?

I'd like to hear what you have to say Fran. Might help alot of people. At least open the eyes of alot of people. Mine have been open for a long time.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Powerful words here.

When will that day be? Why do you have to wait? Cant you just cancel your so-called membership?

I'd like to hear what you have to say Fran. Might help alot of people. At least open the eyes of alot of people. Mine have been open for a long time.
Yes of course. I'll be only too happy to cancel my "so-called" membership and end that part of my life just so I can answer your questions and satisfy your immediate curiosity. After all, your and everyone else's needs come before my own, right?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes of course. I'll be only too happy to cancel my "so-called" membership and end that part of my life just so I can answer your questions and satisfy your immediate curiosity. After all, your and everyone else's needs come before my own, right?

No, your situation comes first. You need to do whats best for you.

But........YOU opened this can of worms with that powerful statement.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't open any can of worms. You just like instant gratification. That's who you are.

You dont know me Fran. All you know is the crazy stuff that keeps getting twisted around by some people, the idiotic stuff you read here on AZB. And none of that BS is true - none.

And as far as wanting instant gratification, thats why I continue to practice day in and day out in an effort to get better. Is it working? I dont know, but lately I do seem to be running more racks. At least I try.

And maybe you're right, can of worms wasnt the best choice of words. But your statement was quite powerful. I'll be looking forward to your comments when that day arrives.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You dont know me Fran. All you know is the crazy stuff that keeps getting twisted around by some people, the idiotic stuff you read here on AZB. And none of that BS is true - none.

And as far as wanting instant gratification, thats why I continue to practice day in and day out in an effort to get better. Is it working? I dont know, but lately I do seem to be running more racks. At least I try.

And maybe you're right, can of worms wasnt the best choice of words. But your statement was quite powerful. I'll be looking forward to your comments when that day arrives.
I've told you over and over that your posts speak for themselves. Nobody else wrote them. You did. Feel free to have the final word. I'm done and moving on.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you also said this it did not get quoted for some reason
Scott Lee

scott
you told leigh to see steve not jerry in the post above
i am not trying to stir anything up
i was surprised you didnt tell her to see jerry again .....thats all
jerry is the grand master of spf and you, randy ,and mark wilson (i believe )are his disciples
and are responsible for the strength of the spf community
Larry...Jerry did not invent SPF. That came from Randy Goettlicher and Leslie Rogers more than 30 years ago, and myself for the past 20 years. Jerry does not include video analysis in his lessons. AFTER working with Jerry (to Leigh's great delight and great opportunity) the next step is an in-depth video analysis by a qualified SPF instructor...which Steve Sherman is, imo. At some point when all this Covid thing is over, either Randy or I will see Leigh in AZ. In the meantime, I hope she has an opportunity to work with Steve. Hopefully this answers your question.

Scott Lee

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike...Your eyes may have been open for a long time, but your mind is completely CLOSED! An open mind is absolutely essential and critical to gaining improvement from any kind of instruction.

Scott Lee

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Larry...Jerry did not invent SPF. That came from Randy Goettlicher and Leslie Rogers more than 30 years ago, and myself for the past 20 years. Jerry does not include video analysis in his lessons. AFTER working with Jerry (to Leigh's great delight and great opportunity) the next step is an in-depth video analysis by a qualified SPF instructor...which Steve Sherman is, imo. At some point when all this Covid thing is over, either Randy or I will see Leigh in AZ. In the meantime, I hope she has an opportunity to work with Steve. Hopefully this answers your question.

Scott Lee
thanks for the clarification scott
happy holidays to you and your family
larry