Pool Tournaments During COVID Pandemic

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alvin texas chose to not mandate masks, it's their choice to wear or not
This makes sense and why Texas is number two in deaths and COVID sickness. Thanks for sharing that. It helps to understand why Texas hospitals have no capacity for the ill and why it is ranked number two.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I'm not here to change anyone's mind, don't care what you think or how you go about your business, she asked for thoughts, I gave mine, you don't have to accept it. And this soap box thread should be moved to the npr area FYI

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
This makes sense and why Texas is number two in deaths and COVID sickness. Thanks for sharing that. It helps to understand why Texas hospitals have no capacity for the ill and why it is ranked number two.
I was in the hospital for a week earlier this yr, there was plenty of room

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To jam: your first post says you have read daily of pool players dying. Where did you see that? I’m only on here, not on FB groups. I don’t recall any pool deaths reported on AZB forums. How many pool players have died that you are aware of? Thanks.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To jam: your first post says you have read daily of pool players dying. Where did you see that? I’m only on here, not on FB groups. I don’t recall any pool deaths reported on AZB forums. How many pool players have died that you are aware of? Thanks.
Thank you for your reply. Not to get into semantics, because I really don't care for that when people do it to me, but here are my words: "Pool events continue to happen daily, yet I read pool people are getting sick and/or dying from COVID daily. "

I said "pool people," and every single day on FB, I am reading about a pool person's family, loved one, friend, and themselves dying.

One example is Sandy Jo Schuman who died from COVID complications. You might have seen her at various pool events. She was heralded as a very nice person, and many pool people commented and mourned her passing a few weeks ago.

Here is his obit: https://www.wasikfuneralhome.com/ob...xasAC1Jt6U6alTTWDWLcVNGQOBhQG9kx6jHnleCDqzICk

Attachments

• Sandra-Schuman-1606760345.jpeg
    Sandra-Schuman-1606760345.jpeg
    12.5 KB · Views: 112

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is challenging to understand is one person can be asymptomatic and not show any symptoms, yet they can transmit the virus to others. Johnny Archer may have already had COVID before this event and did not realize it until he got symptoms. I think I had COVID earlier this year in January before they made the announcement about it. I have never been that sick in my life, and I thought I was going to die. 101 temperature for over a week and the coughing was so bad, dry cough, that my chest felt like it was going to explode. I could not sleep because of the wheezing. My body was weak. I was sick 3 weeks like this. I went to urgent care center, and at that time, they said I had the flu. I still think it was COVID.

The flippant attitude of those who say it's a "personal choice" whether they want to play pool in public and not wear a mask is concerning. The mask is to prevent the person wearing the mask from spreading the virus. It's not 100 percent safe, but it is 1,000 percent better than no mask. The social distancing is key. Also washing hands and sanitizer. In pool, everybody is touching the same rack, balls, and table. It would be hard to sanitize after each touching. They do it in snooker tournaments, though. In USA, the attitude of some that don't give a damn about this pandemic is why the USA has the most cases of deaths, and it's continuing to climb.
As I said.
Stupid is as stupid does.
I never realized how selfish people really are until this pandemic.
They are weak when it comes to having the fortitude to do the right thing or give in to selfish desires
and the urge for instant gratification.
This is temporary and not forever.
A year, maybe two.
Do the right reasonable thing and listen to the experts.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do we really need another thread on COVID-19 masquerading as something pool related?
This is VERY pool-related. It is about pool tournaments continuing when there is a global pandemic. Not sure what thread you're reading, Pal, but this is VERY pool-related.

Johnny Archer just attended a tournament in Tennessee, and before the conclusion, during the final match, he was coughing profusely. He tested positive for COVID later, but at the tournament staff there tested him for a temperature, and he had one while he was inside the building competing in the final match. The tournament goers were not wearing masks. There was no social distancing. This is about as pool-related as you can get.

People claim they have personal choice, but yet when they go to pool rooms, they have the capacity to transmit to thousands of people. One person. I can show you dozens of photos in the last few weeks of pool tournaments where nobody is wearing masks and/or social distancing. DOZENS. And guess what? Most of them are in Texas.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sure out of the 300,00, and growing, that have died there were some people that played pool.

People post that they refuse to wear a mask and if you don't like it, then stay home. They are really looking at it backwards, if you're too stupid and care so little about others, then you are the one that needs to stay home.
Instead you seem to feel that it is your right to disregard the well being of everyone else because you can't be bothered to wear a mask. Nice.

To usedtobe, just the first part was directed to you, the rest was to all the maskholes out there.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masks work.

As does social distancing, washing your hands, and not touching your face. And though you may have a cavalier, "I want to live my life as a blonde" attitude, you are, potentially, and irresponsibly, putting others at risk. Fortunately, vaccines are soon to become available. Regrettably, they will not protect you from terminal stupidity.

Lou Figueroa

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said.
Stupid is as stupid does.
I never realized how selfish people really are until this pandemic.
They are weak when it comes to having the fortitude to do the right thing or give in to selfish desires
and the urge for instant gratification.
This is temporary and not forever.
A year, maybe two.
Do the right reasonable thing and listen to the experts.
Come on, man. I respect your point, but please at least agree that the term "experts" is laughable.

The experts? Theses are the same "experts" who for some genius reason, stated bars can not serve alcohol after a certain time, as if the virus understands the difference between 10 an 11 pm and whether a patron is having a glass of wine or not?

The same experts who make restaurants and businesses operate at 30 % capacity, but yet 400 people cram into a parking lot at a farmers market, because it is an "outdoor" venue?

The same experts who allowed the local pool hall to only open "every other table" even though, as JAM says, the racks, house cues, balls, bar, bathroom door knobs, etc. haven't been sterilized all night?

JAM also stated that the US is not handling the pandemic as well as other countries...maybe not, but the Netherlands is going into a complete shutdown for the next 5 weeks. Is that the answer?

Me, my wife, and both kids have had it and recovered from it, and we are thankful for that. For us, it was no worse than a very mild case of flu....my 11 year old never had symptoms. But we haven't seen or hugged grandparents or great grandparents since March. That is a family choice we made since they are elderly and high risk.

I think, from being in a classroom around teenagers all day, that wearing a mask gives folks a false sense of security.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to run will respond later...

But wanted to add real quick, did you guys see that Matchroom Barry Hearn and his son tested positive? I saw it on a press release a few days ago on the WPA site (but I think it was a few months old press release, forgot the date on it...). I don't recall seeing that on the forum, but may have missed it. Does anyone know if he and son recovered ok?

• Wow
Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to run will respond later...

But wanted to add real quick, did you guys see that Matchroom Barry Hearn and his son tested positive? I saw it on a press release a few days ago on the WPA site (but I think it was a few months old press release, forgot the date on it...). I don't recall seeing that on the forum, but may have missed it. Does anyone know if he and son recovered ok?
It was in October. I did not know that. Wow! Interestingly, he and his son showed no symptoms. https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-10-...s-positive-for-COVID-19-Ujy43PnpIs/index.html

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess some of us aren’t afraid of a less the 2% chance of dying if you get it all. Most people aren’t showing symptoms. If I can work 50 hours a week in it I can play pool. If your worried stay home. I’m not. I couldn’t possibly care any less honestly.
It's drunk driving. You can kill someone else without even knowing it. Could you care less about that? Or, do you simply have the right to disregard the safety of others?

marmac

Masks work.

As does social distancing, washing your hands, and not touching your face. And though you may have a cavalier, "I want to live my life as a blonde" attitude, you are, potentially, and irresponsibly, putting others at risk. Fortunately, vaccines are soon to become available. Regrettably, they will not protect you from terminal stupidity.

Lou Figueroa
You say masks work. I respectfully disagree that the common cloth mask does not work. Some may help to reduce transmission when worn correctly by all, but they simply are not that effective. Where I live masks are mandated, occupancy restrictions are enforced, pool is a gray zone - some leagues are running but others not at all. I caught Covid despite being always masked, around folks who were masked, and cleaning and sanitizing regularly.

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have died every day before and during covid and they'll continue to die after it, I won't ever be a person to tell someone how to live their life .
So you're okay with it if I'm driving drunk on the same highway late at night as your daughter, sister or mother on her way home? I appreciate that you don't want to tell someone how to live their life. And, that you respect my right to drive drunk. But, I doubt you'd really feel that way if I injured a member of your family while driving drunk.

Yes, people died before and will die after. In fact we all will die oneday. That's different from SENSELESS AND UNNECESSARY DEATH that could be avoided if people with this viewpoint would accept personal responsibility. It's a civic duty as an American.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You say masks work. I respectfully disagree that the common cloth mask does not work. Some may help to reduce transmission when worn correctly by all, but they simply are not that effective. Where I live masks are mandated, occupancy restrictions are enforced, pool is a gray zone - some leagues are running but others not at all. I caught Covid despite being always masked, around folks who were masked, and cleaning and sanitizing regularly.

I see this type of comment alot. What we must recognize is that you lowered your risk. You were unlucky. Anybody can catch it any time unless they isolate but if we do our part, the spread is minimized. New Zealand did pretty well with their lockdown and subsequent strategy...

marmac

I see this type of comment alot. What we must recognize is that you lowered your risk. You were unlucky. Anybody can catch it any time unless they isolate but if we do our part, the spread is minimized. New Zealand did pretty well with their lockdown and subsequent strategy...

Understood that risk is basically lowered but is it enough? If we will mandate masks why are we not then focusing resources on supplying medical grade masks to the people? Studies have proven them to be substantially more effective at preventing virus transmission when used correctly.
Im not so sure about being unlucky - in Vegas we continue to encourage visitors to come here, our economy is dependent on that travel and visitation. The governor has suggested we should go out to work amongst travelers all day long then come home and isolate in our homes the rest of the time. Meanwhile tourists are welcome to continue to bring their infections here. The people that are choosing to visit during this time are perhaps a little less cautious than the average American so that simply heightens the chances that those folks will infect others.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think tournaments and leagues are helping struggling rooms. It should be a personal choice.
If your high risk or people close to you are, there is good reason to be nervous. We also don't know the long term effects.
For me personally I figure it like this, if I was worried I would take much precautions to avoid people who are not taking safety seriously, avoid ANY unnecessary public outings, and keep to myself. If others choose not to, I'm not mad at them.
Are masks and social distancing the answer a pool room? I don't think it's gonna make that big of a difference. Close quarters, touching balls, cues, racks, etc. Either take the risk mixing in or don't. I don't see much in between.

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Personal Choice"

It is amazing how resistant people are to thinking about someone other than themselves

If it is too complicated, this is how my neighbor explained it to her 5-year-old -