Thinking of calling it a day......

JayRack

Pretty perplexed with my game. I'm not playing up to my abilities. I was playing even and sometimes beating a local road player 3 months ago and now he can give me the wild 8. My game is going backwards. I was thinking of getting an instructor as a last ditch effort or maybe I should just sell all my cues and move on from the game I've become so frustrated with. Any advice?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The wild 8 is not much of a spot.

How long have you been in this funk, and what have you tried to do to get out of it?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty perplexed with my game. I'm not playing up to my abilities. I was playing even and sometimes beating a local road player 3 months ago and now he can give me the wild 8. My game is going backwards. I was thinking of getting an instructor as a last ditch effort or maybe I should just sell all my cues and move on from the game I've become so frustrated with. Any advice?
Your age and how long have you been playing?

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Naw, don't dip on us. We all go through, growing pains. What came naturally 3 months ago, you may have taken for granted, now you know, and will grow on that knowledge. Only one player I know of dreamed of becoming better and did.

JayRack

The wild 8 is not much of a spot.

How long have you been in this funk, and what have you tried to do to get out of it?
I think I've been backsliding cause I have not been playing everyday. When you go from beating a guy to getting the wild 8 from the same guy.... It's demoralizing. A confidence killer...

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I fell into the same hole this last year. I quit during Covid, from March through September, even though I have my own table. Started playing again and REALLY focused on zero head movement, along with a pause in my stroke and looking hard at the exact spot on the object ball as I am pushing through the shot. My game has gotten much better. I am not sure how long I can sustain it, but right now the game is much less frustrating.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I think your right. When we first started playing he was kind of out of stroke and now he is kind of in stroke. There may be something to this.
Road players are known for improving LOL. I'm thinking the break and the six ball may be coming soon.

If he has an RV and sleeps in the 24 Hour Fitness parking lot, just don't bet it up no matter what he gives you.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I think I've been backsliding cause I have not been playing everyday. When you go from beating a guy to getting the wild 8 from the same guy.... It's demoralizing. A confidence killer...
Do some self assessment, determine what it is you need to work on. Spend some QT on these points in your game.

If you mostly play 9 ball try playing some straight pool. The change of game may do you some good. Straight pool is a tougher game, and good practice.

JayRack

Naw, don't dip on us. We all go through, growing pains. What came naturally 3 months ago, you may have taken for granted, now you know, and will grow on that knowledge. Only one player I know of dreamed of becoming better and did.

I don't know man. I get so frustrated when I'm not playing to the best of my abilities or just close to them.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
45 , of and on since 1990.
You’re still young enough that your game should not be on the decline. If you want it bad enough, you’ll put in the time and fight through it. You’ve got to put it out of your mind that you beat this guy before and now he’s giving you a spot and still beating you.

Every time you match up to play you’ve got to focus and not take anything for granted. What happened the last time you played has no relevance on your next match up.

JayRack

Do some self assessment, determine what it is you need to work on. Spend some QT on these points in your game.

If you mostly play 9 ball try playing some straight pool. The change of game may do you some good. Straight pool is a tougher game, and good practice.
I actually thought about this today... Snooker....

JayRack

You’re still young enough that your game should not be on the decline. If you want it bad enough, you’ll put in the time and fight through it. You’ve got to put it out of your mind that you beat this guy before and now he’s giving you a spot and still beating you.

Every time you match up to play you’ve got to focus and not take anything for granted. What happened the last time you played has little relevance on your next match up.
Yeah, was wanting an instructor to maybe give insight to why I'm not maximizing my potential or if I've hit a mental wall.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Nah man. Been playing with this guy since I started. I'm not getting baited up.
In pool you can go through strong periods and weaker periods. Sometimes it actually helps to take a little break. Once a guy starts beating you regularly, it's hard to come back because they are confident and you are not. That factor is big. Just a few nervous mistakes every couple of racks is usually the difference between winning and losing. I would suggest mixing up with different opponents and take a shot at the guy when you are playing your "A" game again.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go back to absolute fundamentals. Pretend like you're just starting. A lot of times this will make something click. Its usually something basic that gets ya off-course.