Do you know of players who had such Natural Talent, that they could have been a World Champion?

9ballscorpion

Do you know of players who had such a great Talent, or and or pure Natural Talent, that they could have been a World Champion, but they either quit, or was not serious enough about the game, or maybe something ruined it for them, like drug addiction for example?

I think of Landon Shuffett for example, who did not quit, but decided to commit most of his time to Education, and think that he may have been strong enough to maybe someday have been a World Champion, if he were to have taken a path with complete devotion to pool. He was, and probably still is an amazing player, but I assume he has a career now, and maybe does not have much time to play pool as much as he did when he was winning all of those Junior championships.

I wonder about other players who were really great, but pool was just not their #1 passion in life, or maybe they got bored with it before reaching their full potential, and went on to doing something else, or maybe something went wrong in their life, like drug addiction or alcoholism to name a few examples, and it really hurt their game and life.

Keith McCready comes to mind too, but he probably was considered the best in the world at one time, but I wonder if he reached his full potential as a pool player. I read a quote from his somewhere that said that he stated that he never practiced or did drills, saying something like it was a waste of time. Not sure if that is true. Just something I read somewhere, or that someone told me. He is a Legend in my opinion though. Just wonder if he could have been even greater, and accomplished more in pool.

Love reading cool stories about players that were so good that they had the cue ball on a string, and could do anything they put their mind to on a pool table, but were never World Champions, or even that serious about the game to begin with. Just something they were naturally great at, but maybe it was not their #1 passion.

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Main one who comes to mind is none other then the great - "Jimmy Matz" from Reading, PA area...
He grew up in a time where it was better to NOT be a pro... & to hustle... many who knew him say, he
was one of the best money players in the world during his time late 70's - 80's)!! He died in the early 90's
but his natural talent was something to behold...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not possible to identify such a person.

What are the signs of it, anyway?
Seeing realistic ball paths?
Ability to execute?
Understanding of ball reactions?

They are characteristics that must exist in a top player and while possession of all of them is necessary to be a world champ, it is no guarantee one will fulfill that goal.

Therefore, there's a lot of 'might have beens'.

If things has been different, they would be different.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Main one who comes to mind is none other then the great - "Jimmy Matz" from Reading, PA area...
He grew up in a time where it was better to NOT be a pro... & to hustle... many who knew him say, he
was one of the best money players in the world during his time late 70's - 80's)!! He died in the early 90's
but his natural talent was something to behold...
I know a few people who knew Jimmy Matz and ran with him.
They say he could run 300 balls any time he wanted to.
He would just quit running balls out of boredom.
They also said he was just not right in the head.
After his car accident he really went off the rails mentally.

I know one guy that knew him and he said Jimmy went on a road trip once in a box truck
and took 10k off of a guy by the name of Earl on a swing down south.

There is a lot of stories about Matz in Southeast Pa.
Some are true and some are embellished I'm sure.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know of players who had such a great Talent, or and or pure Natural Talent, that they could have been a World Champion, but they either quit, or was not serious enough about the game, or maybe something ruined it for them, like drug addiction for example?

I think of Landon Shuffett for example, who did not quit, but decided to commit most of his time to Education, and think that he may have been strong enough to maybe someday have been a World Champion, if he were to have taken a path with complete devotion to pool. He was, and probably still is an amazing player, but I assume he has a career now, and maybe does not have much time to play pool as much as he did when he was winning all of those Junior championships.

I wonder about other players who were really great, but pool was just not their #1 passion in life, or maybe they got bored with it before reaching their full potential, and went on to doing something else, or maybe something went wrong in their life, like drug addiction or alcoholism to name a few examples, and it really hurt their game and life.

Keith McCready comes to mind too, but he probably was considered the best in the world at one time, but I wonder if he reached his full potential as a pool player. I read a quote from his somewhere that said that he stated that he never practiced or did drills, saying something like it was a waste of time. Not sure if that is true. Just something I read somewhere, or that someone told me. He is a Legend in my opinion though. Just wonder if he could have been even greater, and accomplished more in pool.

Love reading cool stories about players that were so good that they had the cue ball on a string, and could do anything they put their mind to on a pool table, but were never World Champions, or even that serious about the game to begin with. Just something they were naturally great at, but maybe it was not their #1
Here in western North Carolina, a few young players that come to mind to me that had tremendous talent for the game are/were Tony Watson from Hickory and Adam Pendley from Marion. As pool players, the sky was the limit for both of them.

Both of them were incredibly natural players at a very young age. Both got sidetracked by gambling, bad influences and drug dependency issues, so they never lived up to their full potential. Both are still struggling with getting their lives together - Tony now in his mid-late 40s and Adam in his early 30s.

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Love reading cool stories about players that were so good that they had the cue ball on a string, and could do anything they put their mind to on a pool table, but were never World Champions, or even that serious about the game to begin with. Just something they were naturally great at, but maybe it was not their #1 passion.
Yes. JASON HILL from Maryland. He beat Mike COLTRAIN in the Juniors at 14-15 years old. At that time he was playing at a short stop level. Jason put in the work, but also had great natural ability.
He was left as a youngster to fend for himself and ultimately had many personal struggles.
He would have been a pro for sure...

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  1. Not possible to identify such a person.

What are the signs of it, anyway?
Seeing realistic ball paths?
Ability to execute?
Understanding of ball reactions?

They are characteristics that must exist in a top player and while possession of all of them is necessary to be a world champ, it is no guarantee one will fulfill that goal.

Therefore, there's a lot of 'might have beens'.

If things has been different, they would be differen

So the signs would include...
  1. Quickly learn excellent fundamentals.
  2. Playing better under pressure.
  3. Being hyper competitive (seeking out big games against tough player's)
  4. Rapidly improve to an A level in the first 3-4 years of play.
  5. 1-4 Can be learned over time, but very few people will put together everything in under 5 years.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You mean besides me?? ;) Actually yes. A kid named Tyler Strawn from OkC. Had more talent/gift than the law allows. Sadly he was killed while trying cross a hwy after car ran out of gas. RIP kid.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knew a kid here who whooped Donny M when they were both getting started. Found the happy pills and if it weren’t for a good family would’ve lost everything not just pool.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Part of the born in talent you need is the ability to work for it, so no. Honestly, I assume many are simply smart enough to see there isn't a real likely reward in it.

JayRack

I know of a black guy from my pool room that had the talent to do whatever. He would drink a pint of gin and not miss. Put his chin on the stick. Problem was he had an infinity for crack cocaine. He finally left town. I'm assuming to get away and straighten his life out. Never heard how things turned out. I hope and pray he got better. Even though he was a crack head if you were to drop a c note on the floor at the pool room he would pick it up and give it back to u. Despite his own personal demons he was still a man of character.

Talent isn't that much important in pool like in some physical sports. That’s why Americans are far away from European and Asian players, they don't practice enough.
There were some players who dominated in the past even if they used drugs and alcohol or without practice, but it was before pool became global, they didn't compete against so many hard workers. There’s no such a talent that can beat 10 hours a day of practice.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean besides me?? ;) Actually yes. A kid named Tyler Strawn from OkC. Had more talent/gift than the law allows. Sadly he was killed while trying cross a hwy after car ran out of gas. RIP kid.
Yes, I agree that by now Tyler would have been as good or even better than Woodward or Bergman are right now. I know that’s saying a lot, but many confirm he was that good.

MTfish

Registered
I saw Pete Horn out of North Carolina play in the mid-90's. He was a roady that mostly staid out of the limelight, but seemed like he could have been at that level. Supposedly Earl couldn't couldn't win against him when they were kids coming up. I think he's the guy Earl is talking about in that documentary on Youtube. Pete was also a super fun guy to be around.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know of a black guy from my pool room that had the talent to do whatever. He would drink a pint of gin and not miss. Put his chin on the stick. Problem was he had an infinity for crack cocaine. He finally left town. I'm assuming to get away and straighten his life out. Never heard how things turned out. I hope and pray he got better. Even though he was a crack head if you were to drop a c note on the floor at the pool room he would pick it up and give it back to u. Despite his own personal demons he was still a man of character.

I saw Pete Horn out of North Carolina play in the mid-90's. He was a roady that mostly staid out of the limelight, but seemed like he could have been at that level. Supposedly Earl couldn't couldn't win against him when they were kids coming up. I think he's the guy Earl is talking about in that documentary on Youtube. Pete was also a super fun guy to be around.
He had a unique closed bridge. I used to watch him play once a year at the Triple Triangle tournament. A good road player for sure.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow, do you have any idea how hard it is to win a World 9-ball Championship? Future BCA Hall of Famer SVB has never one won. In the straight pool era, BCA Hall of Famer Jim Rempe never won a World Straight Pool Championship. Even some of the all time greats failed to get over the finish line in world championship events. Yup, it's that difficult!

Yes, we've seen the occasional cinderella stories, like Darryl Peach in the 9-ball era and Larry Lisciotti in the straight pool era, but winning a world championship typically requires knocking off a few current and future hall of famers in the single elimination rounds. Darryl Peach beat a who's who in nine ball (including Bustamante in the semis) when he won, and Larry Lisciotti somehow double dipped Steve Mizerak in 1976 to win from the losers bracket.

I will admit I'm not familiar with Jimmy Matz, but I don't think most of the players mentioned to this point showed enough form to be deemed capable of a world championship. That said, I'm sure some posters watched these players more than I did. Keith Macready, however, clearly had enough game to be deemed capable. I've often been told that the late Chan Whitt, another player I never got to watch, also had enough game to eventually be counted among the game's true greats.