Do you know of players who had such Natural Talent, that they could have been a World Champion?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Pete Horn out of North Carolina play in the mid-90's. He was a roady that mostly staid out of the limelight, but seemed like he could have been at that level. Supposedly Earl couldn't couldn't win against him when they were kids coming up. I think he's the guy Earl is talking about in that documentary on Youtube. Pete was also a super fun guy to be around.
The late Pete (Shelton) Horn was a heckuva player, moreso in the latter 1970s and through the 1980s. Due to his drug abuse, he was already headed downhill fast by the 1990s. In the mid to late 1990s (he was driving a Tyson truck at that time) Pete would occasionally come in our pool room on his days off and we’d play.

He was one of the very worst losers I’ve ever seen - Earl must have learned it from Pete! For someone who played on the high level that he played at 10-20 years earlier, it was hard for him to accept that he couldn’t even beat a shortstop like me anymore.

Last edited:

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
This story may not apply to this thread but here it goes anyway. I taught pool to middle school kids for about 4 years. In that time I had thousands of kids that came and went most had no ability to play pool. One day I had a girl show up she told me she had never played. I showed her the basics then started on progressive shot making drills. I was struck by her perfect form after the first time I showed her. I was even more struck by her stroke that was naturally smooth and her natural acceleration through the cue ball. I was further confused by her staying down on each shot. After the first 10 minutes of teaching a basic straight in shot I had her making the ball with the cue ball in the jaws of the corner pocket and the object ball in the center of the table. By the end of the 1 hour I had with her she could make follow and stun shots and what really got me was her ability to draw the heavy cue ball. At the end of the lesson I thought I had someone that I could take as far as she wanted to go. However, it wasn't to be the next day she was expelled from school and I never saw her again. I can still see her face and her natural stroke but can't remember her name.
A year later I had a boy who was not quite as good as this girl I was able to work with him for 2 sessions. I was warned about his arrival in my class. He was a shit talker, hot headed, impulsive, crazy but had a natural eye and a natural stroke. He picked everything up naturally that would take most everyone else months to get to. Anyway he was expelled also, drugs, fighting, shit talking you name it he just couldn't maintain the handle. I think of both of these kids occasionally and wonder what could have been but maybe that's crazy talking I don't know.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, do you have any idea how hard it is to win a World 9-ball Championship? Future BCA Hall of Famer SVB has never one won. In the straight pool era, BCA Hall of Famer Jim Rempe never won a World Straight Pool Championship. Even some of the all time greats failed to get over the finish line in world championship events. Yup, it's that difficult!

Yes, we've seen the occasional cinderella stories, like Darryl Peach in the 9-ball era and Larry Lisciotti in the straight pool era, but winning a world championship typically requires knocking off a few current and future hall of famers in the single elimination rounds. Darryl Peach beat a who's who in nine ball (including Bustamante in the semis) when he won, and Larry Lisciotti somehow double dipped Steve Mizerak in 1976 to win from the losers bracket.

I will admit I'm not familiar with Jimmy Matz, but I don't think most of the players mentioned to this point showed enough form to be deemed capable of a world championship. That said, I'm sure some posters watched these players more than I did. Keith Macready, however, clearly had enough game to be deemed capable. I've often been told that the late Chan Whitt, another player I never got to watch, also had enough game to eventually be counted among the game's true greats.
Interesting to see how this correlates with the bookies. Frankly I don't think it's ever the participant's call. Only the guy who won, won.
Except, Alex P. That was luck. lol...

Reactions: sjm

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know of players who had such a great Talent, or and or pure Natural Talent, that they could have been a World Champion, but they either quit, or was not serious enough about the game, or maybe something ruined it for them, like drug addiction for example?

I think of Landon Shuffett for example, who did not quit, but decided to commit most of his time to Education, and think that he may have been strong enough to maybe someday have been a World Champion, if he were to have taken a path with complete devotion to pool. He was, and probably still is an amazing player, but I assume he has a career now, and maybe does not have much time to play pool as much as he did when he was winning all of those Junior championships.

I wonder about other players who were really great, but pool was just not their #1 passion in life, or maybe they got bored with it before reaching their full potential, and went on to doing something else, or maybe something went wrong in their life, like drug addiction or alcoholism to name a few examples, and it really hurt their game and life.

Keith McCready comes to mind too, but he probably was considered the best in the world at one time, but I wonder if he reached his full potential as a pool player. I read a quote from his somewhere that said that he stated that he never practiced or did drills, saying something like it was a waste of time. Not sure if that is true. Just something I read somewhere, or that someone told me. He is a Legend in my opinion though. Just wonder if he could have been even greater, and accomplished more in pool.

Love reading cool stories about players that were so good that they had the cue ball on a string, and could do anything they put their mind to on a pool table, but were never World Champions, or even that serious about the game to begin with. Just something they were naturally great at, but maybe it was not their #1 passion.
I saw an interview with Shane in which he said he doesn't do drills.

Nobody can predict who might have been a world champion. Some great players never get that title.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Mike Caralla pure talent. Saw him in the poolrooms all the time he never practiced. Just picked up the cue and could play. No way did he ever come close to his possible potential.

He didn't seem to even care about pool. Then of course he was killed so we never knew how good he could have been.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my input, albeit non pool related.

I have been an athlete since my youth. I train amateur and professional athletes to the highest level, included several world championships. One of my students was a gym terror. He would routinely dust off many high ranking guys when they came to the gym. But get him in a professional competition setting and his nerves would be totally rattled and he'd fall apart.

So in many areas, there are people who may have all the physical skills needed to be at the top, but may not have the mental/psychological equipment to handle the pressure. It may be easier for some to feel the alcohol or drugs, etc. stopped them from reaching the top, when in fact it may just be the cover.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, do you have any idea how hard it is to win a World 9-ball Championship? Future BCA Hall of Famer SVB has never one won. In the straight pool era, BCA Hall of Famer Jim Rempe never won a World Straight Pool Championship. Even some of the all time greats failed to get over the finish line in world championship events. Yup, it's that difficult!

Yes, we've seen the occasional cinderella stories, like Darryl Peach in the 9-ball era and Larry Lisciotti in the straight pool era, but winning a world championship typically requires knocking off a few current and future hall of famers in the single elimination rounds. Darryl Peach beat a who's who in nine ball (including Bustamante in the semis) when he won, and Larry Lisciotti somehow double dipped Steve Mizerak in 1976 to win from the losers bracket.

I will admit I'm not familiar with Jimmy Matz, but I don't think most of the players mentioned to this point showed enough form to be deemed capable of a world championship. That said, I'm sure some posters watched these players more than I did. Keith Macready, however, clearly had enough game to be deemed capable. I've often been told that the late Chan Whitt, another player I never got to watch, also had enough game to eventually be counted among the game's true greats.

Hi SJM,
What is the difference between winning the U.S open and a World title? I really do not know the difference (since the best players from all over the world play in the U.S open). Thanks

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi SJM,
What is the difference between winning the U.S open and a World title? I really do not know the difference (since the best players from all over the world play in the U.S open). Thanks
When I look up World pool champions... I see Chris Melling and J. Shaw for eight ball. Chris Melling is a fine player, but not nearly the 9 ball player Shane is. Are all the world events over seas?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I look up World pool champions... I see Chris Melling and J. Shaw for eight ball. Chris Melling is a fine player, but not nearly the 9 ball player Shane is. Are all the world events over seas?
World 10b is now in Vegas. Sept. 6-10th.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
I is kind of like asking 'who that never went to med school could have been the best doctor'.
not really cuz we're talking about players who do or did have a track record of being very good players already but for one reason or another probably never reach their full potential.

I mentioned Mike Corella he was killed but even when he was playing never seem to care much more about the game than as a means to make some money. Then you have players like Jack Colavita who played just a shade under the best players but worked a full-time job and pool was basically just a hobby.

I have a feeling I'm mentioning names here that nobody knows but regarding Mike corella Alan Hopkins in an interview when asked who is the best player he ever played he said a guy you've probably never heard of Mike Carella.

Off the top of my head road players and gamblers like big Bob Ogborn I've known for like 45 years and I can honestly say I've ever seen him pick up a cue and go to the table and practice unless he was in action. I'm sure he did at some point when he was young but I think he reached the level of play that he was satisfied with he never pushed the envelope.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also some of those past World titles appear to be much further for American player's to travel.
And they're often held in total crapholes like Qatar. I talked to one player who went there and he never left his hotel other than to go play a match. Gee, what fun.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hi SJM,
In particular, I'd say that the Matchroom version of the US Open which began in 2019, is the first one that has brought out most of the top Asian players. From 1990-2018, the US Open had a significantly weaker field than the World 9-ball Championships. It also often had a field weaker than those found at either the China Open or the the All-Japan Championships. In recent years, SVB aside, not many Americans have ever been counted in the world's top twenty players by WPA ranking, and in the last decade, very few American players have managed a top 10 in a World 9-ball Championship. SVB, Deuel and Dechaine are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that did so, although I'm probably forgetting someone. No American has won the WPA World 9-ball Championship since 2002, when Strickland snapped it off.

The US Open 9-ball was always tough to win, but it has reached a completely different level. Now, 256 players play double elimination until there are sixteen left and then those sixteen vie for the title in single elimination and for the first prize of $50,000. In 2019, the first edition, this brought out the stars of Asia in droves. When the smoke had cleared, Asia had six of the eight quarterfinalists (Wu Jiaqing, YL Chang, Jeff DeLuna, Wang Can, Alex Pagulayan, Liu Haitao) and Europe had the other two (Josh Filler, Francisco Sanchez Ruiz),. Despite the absence of both Zheng and Raga, two of the world's ten best players by my reckoning, Asia had eleven of the last sixteen, Europe had just four of them, and SVB was the lone American to reach the single elimination stage of the event.. Josh Filler would ultimately prevail in the final, knocking off Wu Jiaqing.

As long as things continue to stay on this course at the US Open, I believe it will be just as difficult to win a US Open 9-ball event as a WPA World 9-ball Championship. Matchroom has brought the US Open 9-ball event to a completely new level, and we the fans are the true winners.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
In 2019, the first edition, this brought out the stars of Asia in droves. When the smoke had cleared, Asia had six of the eight quarterfinalists (Wu Jiaqing, YL Chang, Jeff DeLuna, Wang Can, Alex Pagulayan, Liu Haitao) and Europe had the other two (Josh Filler, Francisco Sanchez Ruiz),.
I read 5 'Asian', 2 Europe, and one Canadian.... ;)

...just saying