What Shafts Draw better ???

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to pay extra for a shaft that draws well.

Most of the wood comes from rubber tree plants. :cautious:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Re doned tips.

Just coincidence but tip of Shaun Murphy, same fellow as in video clip above. Many pro snooker players shape for a mushroom tip to get the contact at as extreme an edge as reasonable on the cueball. If possible they’ll change the tip a couple months before the new season or to get the desired shape.
I’ve wondered why they play with tips wider than their ferrule. I suppose, like you say, it’s to have more “edge” to hit the ball with, but my 9.5mm tip works fine without that.

pj
chgo

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I’ve wondered why they play with tips wider than their ferrule. I suppose, like you say, it’s to have more “edge” to hit the ball with, but my 9.5mm tip works fine without that.

pj
chgo
Back in my snooker days I played with a normal looking tip, (sized / shaped to match ferrule) and I played "fine". When the local hall sponsered an Englishman to cross the pond and be the house pro. I noticed right away that he had one of those mushroomed tips. I inquired of course, and was just told that that's the normal way of having the tip from where he was from. No science or data to back anything up. The dude woud run centuries and rip shots in from any angle as easy a would be for us to breath.

What I can say is this. To this day I when I see a guy playing snooker with a goofy looking tip, I avoid gambling with him. Usually just take the time to watch a few frames. More often than not, you're in for show.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
We used to have a local cue maker, a pharmacist, in the Philadelphia area by the name of Doc Frye.
He would make a shaft with a "bell tip."
The tip was on a fluted ferrule.
Not a mushroomed tip but the diameter of the tip was larger than the base of the ferrule.

Geosnookery

Back in my snooker days I played with a normal looking tip, (sized / shaped to match ferrule) and I played "fine". When the local hall sponsered an Englishman to cross the pond and be the house pro. I noticed right away that he had one of those mushroomed tips. I inquired of course, and was just told that that's the normal way of having the tip from where he was from. No science or data to back anything up. The dude woud run centuries and rip shots in from any angle as easy a would be for us to breath.

What I can say is this. To this day I when I see a guy playing snooker with a goofy looking tip, I avoid gambling with him. Usually just take the time to watch a few frames. More often than not, you're in for show.

My own snooker tip is a ‘modest’ mushroom. Tends to flatten out to what what I prefer after a month and fortunately stays at that level until I replace it the next year or so. Fortunately my 15 year old box of tips should last me another decade. It’s only after I get the tip right that I can spin the cueball like a top. I don’t need fast spin that often but sure handy as a tool now and then.

Im not sure why mushroomed tips are such a negative on American cues. I could see it for new players who struggle with aim. However once that’s mastered, what is the downside? Players replace the tip just when I start to think it’s ‘just right’. However, a decent percent of experienced American pool players can match or defeat me at Anerican pool so I defer to their Cue knowledge.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a general theory about guys like that.

It goes like this: the longer it takes a guy to hit the first ball, the worse player he is. IOWs, when I see a guy come in, put two cues together, go to the bathroom, put on his glove, carefully chalk his cue, put the balls in the rack (or even better set up an elaborate drill), go to the bar to get a drink, look at his phone, and adjust his earbuds, it's usually a bad sign.

Lou Figueroa
We had a guy like that.
He even had the apron.
Brought his own balls.
Went through most of what you said and then couldn't run a rack.
Played alone and seemed to enjoy it.
Best thing he ever did for me was to sell me a really good shaft for my Troy Downey cue.
When he said $35 I almost broke a finger getting the cash out of my pocket.
But a nice guy that kept pretty much to himself.

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is also n10 Strachan and heated table most likely. Those tables are so fast that is unreal. Normal club players never get shot on those kind confitions. He got really good stroke and draw is really good but hard to compare to pool table with old 860..
Not to mention the balls are smaller and lighter.

eg9327

Shaft might make some difference, but I think it is mostly technique and timing. My draw really stinks, but I know if I need to settle down and draw maybe 12 to 18 inches my quiet stroke will draw the stinking ball six feet. I've never been able to find a repeating stroke myself, but I do know it's not about power.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
no it is simply a mostly a matter of speed of the cue and where you hit on the cueball. all the rest is hookus pookus.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know what type of cue and shaft DeLuna uses?
Mezz Ignite. I've seen him draw it the same with the wood cue he had before. The Ignite is an impressive piece. A good friend got one and i've tested it a bit. Plays really good. I wish Mezz made it in 12.75. Not a fan of 12.2mm shafts.

Geosnookery

There are dozens of videos on draw ( screw) shots. This one is top notch. Watching Judd Trump‘s table length screw at the end is reminiscent of
Alex Higgins incredible screw backs in the 1980s.