Billy Thorpe gone wild!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Cancel culture is the ultimate over reacting.

Everyday the twitter mob is calling for canceling someone/something new.

From boycotting Chic Filet because the owner is Christian, and dressing up like chickens and laying on the sidewalk, to
stores like Wayfair and Kohls pulling MY Pillow because crybabies don't like the owner's politics. It's never ending.

The Big Tech monopoly's coordinated effort to silence government descent is hitting dangerous levels.

I could list examples for days.
This is not about politics, really. It's about the image of the game. What mother and father would encourage their children to learn pool after seeing clips like this? Classless drunks fighting and cursing, who'd want that for their son or daughter?

What corporation would sponsor an "athlete" who behaves like a clown? It's bad business to do so, who knows what such a person is going to do next or has done in the past, on camera? Is he going to stomp a cat, call black people the n-word, who knows? To a company it's just a completely unnecessary risk for them to take. Better to sponsor a golfer (who sign contracts to ensure that they behave), or any other athlete, really. Pool is like the worst possible risk/return ratio of any sport. The worst behaving "athletes" and the lowest viewership. If you sponsor a football player, or a basketball player, at least you get some good exposure when they behave, and you can be damned sure they apologize when they don't. Even the pool fans don't hold the players accountable, because we don't expect any better from them. Listening to some of you on here, is like listening to an abused spouse talk about their significant other. "95% of the time, he's the sweetest guy in the world, it's just when he drinks, he can't control his temper". "Things are tough for him now, he doesn't have a job".

We all know there is no one to sanction people like this. It doesn't mean we have to endorse it or like it. That is entirely different from doxing people or trying to get the fired or whatever. If I owned a pool hall, I'd probably think twice about inviting these players, because I'd want to protect customers or players from scummy people like this. People behaving in this manner spoils the atmosphere of a room and disrupts play in the entire room. Nobody wants that. It's not about going after these people, it's about protecting the pool playing establishment, other players and whatever image the sport has left.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Financial crisis in pool with no tournaments and covid 19 closing most pool rooms! Then add on big loss to t-rex followed by a ass whopping by Saez who was using him like a atm machine is enough for Billy the kid to snap and get physical...

The problem is a lack of honor and respect for the game and zero concerns about their name and reputation!

There are several top players that would engage in criminal activity towards members of the billiard society! Some dump! Some call up the stick up crew! Some go after the vending machines! Some go after the cue makers and sponsors for product to liquidate and never use as intended ! Some events had the entry fee paid with counterfeit money and brought the FBI to the event before it even started.

Stuff like this is too hard to fade! Add on , mental health issues with a top star player that refuses to take his medicine and goes off from time to time. Players attacking one another is just the cherry on top!

You really have to draw the line somewhere? Hatch, Morris, archery, plus two. Got sent packing from the cup for various reasons. Thorpe did know that history! He got a team mate removed or stood by while it happened, for behavior no where near as bad!

Mike dechaine is looking on , like I was never involved in a fight but got removed from cup consideration! How is this fair???

Kd

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Without a penalty for poor behavior during a match

players are rewarded for acting out because their opponent misses.

I doubt this issue will be addressed to the level fans are happy with.

players are punished for taking the higher ground. Look at Jayson Shaw Vs Earl. Earl called the two ball and it was on film. But Jayson's complaints fell on deaf ears. Earl went on to win the match.

John Leyman officiated that one. I would say that is a tough call to make in a live situation.
The precedent is already there for straight pool...if the player calls the wrong number by accident ( and it’s obvious that Earl called the wrong number) the ref will correct him.
Shaw was out of line...this is not a kiddy game like red light/green light.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think preventing him from playing in the next MC would go a long ways. Not a permanent ban but a one year ban. As a "professional" he needs to hold himself to a higher power or someone else should.
I understand this was not part of the tournament.
If the game wants the ability to sanction private action behavior, it better give them a better income.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know if this has been stated in the thread (I don't feel like re-reading every post)- but does anybody know if they kept playing after this? If so, who won?
Yeah they played for at least two more hours. Everything went back to normal like it never happened really except Sky and Archer were racking during some of it, even making jokes about being referees, and I think they just started racking their own. It was late so I don’t really remember but I think Billy was up two when the stream went off and heard later they broke even but not positive.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand this was not part of the tournament.
If the game wants the ability to sanction private action behavior, it better give them a better income.

How about you act better and you make more money? Seems reasonable.

There are two sides to pool - the side we all know (that clearly doesn't work on the big screen) and the side the general public may or may not watch. I honestly don't know or care which side is the "better" side, all I'm saying is this - the man was invited to play pool on the world stage for a production company that is doing good things for pool - why in the hell would they put any money towards him if he doesn't see the big picture? I'm not bashing Billy for his actions as a pool player, he will always be a pool player, but if he wants to play with the professionals then he better act like one. How many sports stars are booted from their contracts for things WAY less aggressive then this? If he doesn't want to be on that stage and wants to act like he did then great, I could care less and will watch every argument he ever has because no-harm and no-foul, but I wouldn't watch the MC if it was a bunch of guys acting like that.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Just because the exploits of those gamblers wasn’t caught on film makes it so it didn’t happen? You’re retarded. If you have to babysit Earl for him to not go off the rails, that’s a failure too. Don’t try and justify failures, it makes you look like that much more of an ass.
If anybody riding a short bus, it's you.

Jay is one of the nicest guys in the game and you call him retarded, and an ass?

How do you breathe without a ventilator?

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually don't pay much attention to these type of threads and haven't read everything so this could be a rehash. As far as I'm concerned it's strike 3 against this guy. 1st was the Mosconi Cup then the drunken foolishness on the stream of SVB/Dennis and now this. Hello Emily and MC captain....It'll be a travesty if this individual ever represents this country at that event again. IMO Woodward is also skating on thin ice.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually don't pay much attention to these type of threads and haven't read everything so this could be a rehash. As far as I'm concerned it's strike 3 against this guy. 1st was the Mosconi Cup then the drunken foolishness on the stream of SVB/Dennis and now this. Hello Emily and MC captain....It'll be a travesty if this individual ever represents this country at that event again. IMO Woodward is also skating on thin ice.
What did he do during the Mosconi Cup conduct wise?

I think if Mike Dechaine returns to play full time, he should definitely be considered. He is still probably the 2nd best American player talent wise.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calm down with Emily and the Matchroom stuff. Shaw was making jokes about Shane’s hearing impairment and calling Bergman a meth head on public forum the day before Mosconi which they exploited and used as a plot point during Mosconi. Joey asked Karl “How’d it taste” during the LIVE press conference alluding to his dick cause Karl dated Joeys ex. Emily curses like a sailor in every podcast/unofficial interview I’ve seen. Shaw, Alex Lely and Karl were all absolutely shitfaced on a live stream after they won still talking trash that maybe went over the line a little. Does that excuse the way Billy acted? Of course not. But pretending like this is something Emily and Matchroom would be appalled by seems pretty silly. They haven’t exactly classed up the mosconi cup.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
So is it “cancel culture” when Matchroom is sinking a bunch of money into US pool and having a guy with a rage drinking problem on the US team makes them look bad?

If you had a “professional” in any other sport acting like a clown, they’d be getting sat down by their team and/or the league.
You cant be serious about that. The NFL and NBA have crap going on all the time with athletes and they simply sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesnt happen. Many years ago there was a weekly show on HBO that was about a fictional professional football team that had its share of incidents with players. The NFL made them take the show off of the air because they said it made the NFL look bad. Here's the interesting part, all of the incidents in the show were based on things that the NFL athletes had already been involved with. Go figure.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You cant be serious about that. The NFL and NBA have crap going on all the time with athletes and they simply sweep it under the rug and pretend it doesnt happen. Many years ago there was a weekly show on HBO that was about a fictional professional football team that had its share of incidents with players. The NFL made them take the show off of the air because they said it made the NFL look bad. Here's the interesting part, all of the incidents in the show were based on things that the NFL athletes had already been involved with. Go figure.
It was taken off mainly because there was a gay player I believe. Apparently the NFL doesn't like gays 🤷‍♂️

If a show came out now they'd be pissed because at least half the players weren't gay, Trans, or Women. Really can't make this shit up

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anybody riding a short bus, it's you.

Jay is one of the nicest guys in the game and you call him retarded, and an ass?

How do you breathe without a ventilator?

Being a nice person doesn’t mean you’re a smart person. From my perspective on things Jay is not an innocent person in this. No, he’s not the problem either. Do I need to start writing essay’s to fully explain or are people willing to do their own research? If Jay claims Earl behaves himself only when Jay is babysitting him, then that is still a problem. If Billy has an alcohol related meltdown with someone who has been known to have attitude problems of his own, I don’t blame Billy. I blame the people who have allowed Rob to develop that attitude in the first place.

Now we can sit here and bash each other, bash Billy/Rob. At the end of the day the stress players are under to make money because sponsors aren’t there for pro pool is the issue. And the reason sponsors aren’t there is because the failure of past TD’s to contain players attitude. Imagine playing for $5000 for 16th place routinely, rather than just first place. $200/rack gambling at that point is dead.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Being a nice person doesn’t mean you’re a smart person. From my perspective on things Jay is not an innocent person in this. No, he’s not the problem either. Do I need to start writing essay’s to fully explain or are people willing to do their own research? If Jay claims Earl behaves himself only when Jay is babysitting him, then that is still a problem. If Billy has an alcohol related meltdown with someone who has been known to have attitude problems of his own, I don’t blame Billy. I blame the people who have allowed Rob to develop that attitude in the first place.

Now we can sit here and bash each other, bash Billy/Rob. At the end of the day the stress players are under to make money because sponsors aren’t there for pro pool is the issue. And the reason sponsors aren’t there is because the failure of past TD’s to contain players attitude. Imagine playing for $5000 for 16th place routinely, rather than just first place. $200/rack gambling at that point is dead.
So nowJay is stupid?(opposite of smart)and because Jay kept Earl in check it's his fault Earl acted up at other events?

I guess you're gonna have to write essays because I doubt anybody can understand your reasoning

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So nowJay is stupid?(opposite of smart)and because Jay kept Earl in check it's his fault Earl acted up at other events?

I guess you're gonna have to write essays because I doubt anybody can understand your reasoning
You must not be very smart.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not necessarily. See my above point about Justin Thomas, PGA, player.

He lost a sponsor, but as of now he will still play a full slate of tourneys and will still earn millions.

Manny Pacquiao once infamously compared gay people to animals. Nike dropped him, but he has since made tens of millions of dollars.

Even Kobe was once fined six figures for calling a ref a f***t.

Pro athletes are still fallible people. They still make mistakes. I don't want to imagine a world where it is one strike and you are out.

Pool is not on a par with any of your examples.

If it was pool in any of those scenarios, the best recovery the player could hope for was a free sack of Taco Bell.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cancel culture is the ultimate over reacting.

Everyday the twitter mob is calling for canceling someone/something new.

From boycotting Chic Filet because the owner is Christian, and dressing up like chickens and laying on the sidewalk, to
stores like Wayfair and Kohls pulling MY Pillow because crybabies don't like the owner's politics. It's never ending.

The Big Tech monopoly's coordinated effort to silence government descent is hitting dangerous levels.

I could list examples for days.

Boycotts? Big Tech?

"Forget it, Jake, its Chinatown."

Lou Figueroa
or just AZ

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Who was wrong here? Were repeated defective racks served up? Did Billy blow a head gasket, weakened by inebriation, in a fit of pique over an imagined slight? One problem I have observed in confrontations of all types is that it is entirely possible to go from being 100% right to being 100% wrong, and vice versa, in the blink of an eye. This is why it is critically important to maintain a cool head and even keel, especially when others around you are losing their minds.

There is less than half a step and a heartbeat separating an argument and aggravated assault, or worse. Another true story. A long time ago, a mouthy player shot an air barrel at a pretty tough character. During the ensuing "discussion", the player made the mistake of mouthing off, "What do you want, blood?" Well . . . evidently, the character determined that such an offer was not to be refused. One punch later, the player is in the hospital with his shattered jaw wired shut and the character is in jail hoping to be bonded out.

Who was wrong? Who was right? The best answer is that both would have been far better off if common sense had intervened at some point and the entire incident avoided.

Last edited: