2021 Welsh Ronnie on display

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Very interesting match. Mark threw and landed the first blow, winning the first frame in one visit. But he left Ronnie enough balls for a warm up. After that it was, “well? He said he could fight. 6-1 yikes. The final tomorrow figures to be anticlimactic as he was getting 2 chances per frame from McGuire. Ronnie is giving 1 per match.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The final tomorrow figures to be anticlimactic as (Brown) was getting 2 chances per frame from McGuire. Ronnie is giving 1 per match.
Yeah, the bookies think the final score is most likely to be 9-3 which is tough to overcome but Brown is capable of single-chance wins. Also, sometimes an underdog is caught up in the moment and over performs. But, no, I don't want to bet.

The sessions are 8AM EST and 2PM EST (5AM and 11AM PST) on https://matchroom.live/home ($2/month from the US).

PoolPlayer4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do they call it a "break-off?" I've heard Jeremy say this when announcing. "Potting" a ball makes sense, but "break-off" I don't get.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very interesting match. Mark threw and landed the first blow, winning the first frame in one visit. But he left Ronnie enough balls for a warm up. After that it was, “well? He said he could fight. 6-1 yikes. The final tomorrow figures to be anticlimactic as he was getting 2 chances per frame from McGuire. Ronnie is giving 1 per match.
Mark had more then one chance. This was a odd match to watch,appeared as if both players felt someone had pissed in their cereal?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why do they call it a "break-off?" I've heard Jeremy say this when announcing. "Potting" a ball makes sense, but "break-off" I don't get.
Maybe because the word "break" means points scored in one inning, or what USers would call a run.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe because the word "break" means points scored in one inning, or what USers would call a run.
I have come to think of it as break-off meaning the player is breaking one or more reds off the pyramid of reds on the table. You can't really "break" in the pool sense of the word because the pink is in the way, and it would be really bad strategically.

I thought break meant both an inning and the points scored in one inning, but I might just be making that up.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Well JB leads 5-3 at the interval. Race to 9.. ..Should be interesting when they take it up again in an hour.
Sometimes it seems Ronnie needs to be pressed. JB scored a century and Ronnie followed it with 2 of his own. Can’t help but pull for the underdog.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The term works...if you hear it for the first time, you know what it means. I tee-off at golf.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ronnie said, “I played pretty good and not many can beat me when I play pretty good.”(or something to that effect)
What a great match. One of the best sports events I have watched.
Brown did play well throughout the tournament. A well-deserved win and a huge upset.

Geosnookery

Ronnie said, “I played pretty good and not many can beat me when I play pretty good.”(or something to that effect)
What a great match. One of the best sports events I have watched.
A lot of drama. I just got home and watched the last few frames I had taped. . A nailbiter.

Congratulations to Brown. No easy matches as he beat players of higher rank at every round. He defeats two world champions and now gets to face third, John Higgins, by qualifying for this weeks Championship tournament.

Quite the accomplishment for a fellow who was pumping gas for a living just a couple years ago. Great to see Yan, Ryan Day and now Brown win tournaments. There’s so much depth of talen

Must be odd winning a big televised match. No crowd. Doubly so staring at your opponent’s photo on the wall.
DCB026A5-88C3-4B4B-9E9C-AC3A7E74672B.jpeg

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that was insane, to have that composure in a ranking final against ronnie. but most of all, what a solid stroke. excellent timing when he hits the ball. that's many years of practice yielding results

i think they said in the commentary box that such a low ranked player winning a ranking event hasn't happened since the early 90's.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The odds on Jordan Brown at the beginning of the tournament was 750 to 1. Man, it sure would have been nice to have a double sawbuck on him.

Jordan played professional darts after he left snooker for a while, and then he got a job on the railways. You could take him away from the snooker, but you could not take the snooker out of him. He started to practice snooker again, while working, and his father supported him. Looks like his passion paid off! Here's a few screenshots of the finals. Jordan couldn't hold back the tears. Ronnie was a stand-up gentleman, good sportsman, and gave Brown the praise he was due. Beautiful tournament, and Matchroom.live's coverage was superb.

Attachments

• cries brown.png
    cries brown.png
    968.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Trophy smuile.png
    Trophy smuile.png
    804.9 KB · Views: 74
  • koss trophy.png
    koss trophy.png
    833.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Jordan Brown close up.png
    Jordan Brown close up.png