First Custom Cue - $1200 Budget

AcesHigh08

Registered
Like the title states, I'm looking for a first custom cue. I like merry widow style cues and would like to have cocobolo with a leather wrap or perhaps an ebony wrapless cue with a brown handle section. I don't care for birdseye maple. Looking for either radial or 3/8x10 pin and want it to be a 60" cue and have the ability to take a carbon fiber extension. Looking at Carmeli, Josey, and Nitti. Thanks in advance for your input.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All good choices.

You might also consider David Elliot, Nitti’s stepson and protege. Great cues, a bit less expensive than Chris and a much shorter lead time.... for now.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like the title states, I'm looking for a first custom cue. I like merry widow style cues and would like to have cocobolo with a leather wrap or perhaps an ebony wrapless cue with a brown handle section. I don't care for birdseye maple. Looking for either radial or 3/8x10 pin and want it to be a 60" cue and have the ability to take a carbon fiber extension. Looking at Carmeli, Josey, and Nitti. Thanks in advance for your input.
All three are great cue makers. Can't go wrong with either one.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would also include Rick Howard of Mace cues. His cues play incredible, are very reasonable. They are a little tough to pick up on secondary market because folks hang on to them.

IMO, my thoughts on the above cuemakers that Acehigh08 suggested. I absolutely love Nitti cues when they have veneers, he does an excellent job on veneers IMO. But if you are looking for a widow style it makes less important. Hope that makes sense, but I am just trying to help.

Ken

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Spend yourself less than a hundo, get a cue that's better made than any of the Kool kids customs, get a players sneaky Pete

Invest your money better or save it for rougher times, is what I'd do

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spend yourself less than a hundo, get a cue that's better made than any of the Kool kids customs, get a players sneaky Pete

Invest your money better or save it for rougher times, is what I'd do
I suspect that, like most of us, he’s got plenty of other cheap, playable options.

Some people are at a point financially where they can afford to indulge themselves if they simply want something nicer. Something that makes them smile every time they look at it and/or pick it up to play. He probably isn’t still driving a “perfectly adequate” 2002 Honda Civic either...

AcesHigh08

Registered
I suspect that, like most of us, he’s got plenty of other cheap, playable options.

Some people are at a point financially where they can afford to indulge themselves if they simply want something nicer. Something that makes them smile every time they look at it and/or pick it up to play. He probably isn’t still driving a “perfectly adequate” 2002 Honda Civic either...
For sure not driving 2002 Honda Civic. I appreciate the recommendations but think I'll pass on the Players sneaky. Leaning Josey or Nitti. I just picked up a cheap Predator unreleased all black radial butt to play while I decide what to buy. Elliott Cues look cool and there is a sweet wrapless ebony/bubinga for sale at one of the online retailers but it's not 60".

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look into Coos cues , I like how He builds Merry Widow cues ,check out he’s videos.
I would also recommend John Chaplin (Coos Cues).

Here is one he made for me last year.

Cocobolo with Sindora burl handle (butt is cored with Purple Heart).

9ballscorpion

This guy builds an amazing looking cue, and I imagine they hit pretty awesome too.

Dzuricky Custom Cues (dzcues.com)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Mike Gulyassy 60” (50/50 split) Merry Widow made of black and white Ebony with a black leather wrap. It is a PHX design butt and PHX shaft with a Strickland Pro Taper. Mike makes Earl’s cues.

It is around 19-19.5 ounces and has a G-10 pin (3/8x10).

There is no weight bolt or metal in this cue.

I think I will put it in the sale forum shortly. I need to get rid of some cues...no more room to keep storing closet queens.

You can read about PHX here:

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rick Howard. And Cory Barnhart makes some nice Merry Widows.
On my Facebook cue seller page there was a wrapless Cory Barnhart for sale for $700. It looked really nice. Kevin Stier was the seller. I dont know Kevin or the cue, just passing it along.

It sounded to me like a good deal. But dont take my word for it, check it out yourself.

Ken

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For sure not driving 2002 Honda Civic. I appreciate the recommendations but think I'll pass on the Players sneaky. Leaning Josey or Nitti. I just picked up a cheap Predator unreleased all black radial butt to play while I decide what to buy. Elliott Cues look cool and there is a sweet wrapless ebony/bubinga for sale at one of the online retailers but it's not 60".
I own both, and play with a Josey Widow. I have never played with a better playing cue in my 50 years of playing.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s crazy is that $1200 may not actually buy all that much new from relatively known cue makers. Maybe just a merry widow with a wrap and choice of woods? If you’re looking for a deal then used is the way to go. Honestly, I would only go custom if I wanted to spend at a minimum $2,000 and already knew exactly what I wanted from weight of butt, weight of shaft, butt/handle diameter (super important to me), woods used, veneer colors, type of wrap, etc. If I had like ~$1,000 then I’d be looking at Pred, Mezz, Pechauer, or a used custom. Even used though can get pricey and may not be what you want.