Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I know.. Seriouly, Emil Sitka always gets left out.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Lol. good one. Have not heard that name in some time. Though, he was the straight man, to the stooges. I have to go with Joe DeRita as a stooge who actually gets "left out". But, I liked them all, even Joe Besser :)

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any time something special is claimed to happen, especially a new world record,
and you did not get to personally watch it happen, seems completely reasonable
to want to see the evidentiary video proof since mere words & descriptions are not
as reliable nowadays as years gone by. Heck, I suppose that might lead to starting
to question the authenticity of the video and if it was edited. In the overall big picture,
I suppose it doesn’t matter much since the 14.1 following is growing smaller & smaller
over time. It was more popular before the 90’s and today, a lot of folks don’t even know
that straight pool is referred to as 14.1. It really seems to shrinking in popularity so that
contributes to new records going unnoticed, unappreciated & even questioned for validity.
Where is the evidentiary evidence of Willie's record? John announced he was going after the record and set out to do it. Many, many many great runs with , to my knowledge, always people watching. All that has to happen is for the starter of this thread announce he is going after the record and do it the first time or the 110th time on video and conspiracy theories evaporate and you become the new record holder. Pretty simple--except for the doing.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Babe’s purported 768 will forever loom large in the background wish someone would put up a 770 in front of people and put the whole thing to rest. But then what would we have to talk about?
How mosconi's 526 being a record hi run was little more than an assertation by the brunswick marketing department?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Babe’s purported 768 will forever loom large in the background wish someone would put up a 770 in front of people and put the whole thing to rest. But then what would we have to talk about?
Waaay in the background. Everybody recognizes the name Mosconi, nobody outside pool has heard of Cranfield. I had watched Mosconi on TV 50 years ago and been playing off and on for 45 years, admittedly not a big historian of the game, and never heard of this Babe guy until this thread.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where is the evidentiary evidence of Willie's record? John announced he was going after the record and set out to do it. Many, many many great runs with , to my knowledge, always people watching. All that has to happen is for the starter of this thread announce he is going after the record and do it the first time or the 110th time on video and conspiracy theories evaporate and you become the new record holder. Pretty simple--except for the doing.
I think the only thing back then was the Kodak Brownie, Leica cameras and such.
In case you forgot, there weren’t cell phone cameras back then, or even Beta Max.
Any no one planned on Willie to keep on shooting after he ran the match out. The
audience cheered him on to keep on shooting but he didn’t miss and so the cheers
turned into a chorus of encouragement and enthusiasm and applause for his play.
Nope, I don’t think it was something that was intended to be ever recorded on film.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I believe it's in the Smithsonian.

Lou Figueroa

L.S. Dennis

Waaay in the background. Everybody recognizes the name Mosconi, nobody outside pool has heard of Cranfield. I had watched Mosconi on TV 50 years ago and been playing off and on for 45 years, admittedly not a big historian of the game, and never heard of this Babe guy until this thread.

I’ve seen Mosconi and Caras play a few time (separately) I think the first time I saw Mosconi was in 1962 In Redwood City California. He was probably the best straight pool player but there were others as well. Arthur “Babe” Cranfield was one of them, check the BCA HALL OF FAME.He may very well have made that run we’ll never know for sure but he was one of the greats no doubt.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dam 150 pages and I went through all of them , one page ,one post at a time and my friends witnessed it , don't anyone dare question that , I have proof ,it was recorded and I've locked it away , my eyes are tired in my search for the holy grail I came up empty, I'll check back in after another 150 pages,

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I’ve seen Mosconi and Caras play a few time (separately) I think the first time I saw Mosconi was in 1962 In Redwood City California. He was probably the best straight pool player but there were others as well. Arthur “Babe” Cranfield was one of them, check the BCA HALL OF FAME.He may very well have made that run we’ll never know for sure but he was one of the greats no doubt.
don't go bringing the BCA into this, it won't end well 😉

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I've watched his youtube 434 and now I am convinced that his 626 is true, I mean why not.... I already saw his 434 and that he is capable, why wouldn't he get lucky and run 626 in one occasion? I don't see what would prevent him.

I mean it is possible that he touched a ball here or there slightly without moving them but who cares, still a legit 626 in my book even if he did that.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dam 150 pages and I went through all of them , one page ,one post at a time and my friends witnessed it , don't anyone dare question that , I have proof ,it was recorded and I've locked it away , my eyes are tired in my search for the holy grail I came up empty, I'll check back in after another 150 pages,

I've watched his youtube 434 and now I am convinced that his 626 is true, I mean why not.... I already saw his 434 and that he is capable, why wouldn't he get lucky and run 626 in one occasion? I don't see what would prevent him.

I mean it is possible that he touched a ball here or there slightly without moving them but who cares, still a legit 626 in my book even if he did that.
Where do you draw the line on these type of matters though?
Is it a disqualifying infraction:
If he moves a ball 1/4" and puts it back?
If he moves a ball 4" an puts it back?
If he picks up ball to clean it and doesn't put it back in exactly the same place?

The difficulty in drawing the line that would result from such a thing is easily eliminated by all-ball-fouls rule and I don't think it is unreasonable to require one who wishes to be on top of the cowpie to be able to have accomplished the feat cleanly.

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
If he picks up ball to clean it and doesn't put it back in exactly the same place?

The difficulty in drawing the line that would result from such a thing is easily eliminated by all-ball-fouls rule and I don't think it is unreasonable to require one who wishes to be on top of the cowpie to be able to have accomplished the feat cleanly.

I’m cool with that. However I’d add the caveat that cleaning (especially the cue ball) should be allowed somehow. Maybe a skilled third party? Obviously you want the ball back exactly where it belongs but all that chalk has got to go eventually. I had a tough 9 the other night and was terrified with all the chalk marks. My opponent and I were both using some higher end chalk that’s notorious for making a super dirty cue ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

How about we draw the line at the point where we currently are...nobody has reported anything like this on the 626 run.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I wouldn't have a problem with touching a ball like he did on one of his 400+ runs because we don't know how many balls Mosconi touched. I can understand the reluctance to accept it without a continuous unedited video. Best case scenario is eventually the full DVD is released and all doubt is removed.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about we draw the line at the point where we currently are...nobody has reported anything like this on the 626 run.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I think the consideration about what would be acceptable would be applicable in a greater sense than just one run.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't have a problem with touching a ball like he did on one of his 400+ runs because we don't know how many balls Mosconi touched. I can understand the reluctance to accept it without a continuous unedited video. Best case scenario is eventually the full DVD is released and all doubt is removed.
Best case scenario for who?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
no xaxdar to be found anywhere, lets hope he got the permaban and can move on from that nonsense

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The higher the 14.1 run, the level of skill required progresses logarithmically.

IOWs, because you can run 100, does not mean you can run 200. If you can run 300, it does not mean you can run 400, and so on.

Lou Figueroa

Status
Not open for further replies.