Archer's Place, Marietta Ga...??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did this place ever open?? Was slated to open fall of '18 but i've never heard a thing about it.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did he have a different place up that way before that? I’ve been to his room once somewhere around 3-4 years ago, I think, and it was really nice. But I didn’t think it was new. Had a “tournament” room on one side and a bunch or tables on the other side. Maybe that one closed and he was opening another room?

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Did he have a different place up that way before that? I’ve been to his room once somewhere around 3-4 years ago, I think, and it was really nice. But I didn’t think it was new. Had a “tournament” room on one side and a bunch or tables on the other side. Maybe that one closed and he was opening another room?
That one closed, yes.

mrpiper

Registered
Fist one closed several years ago. There was a big hoopla about the new location opening just down the road a little. It opened but not under his name, and it was not really impressive. Not bad, just nothing special. A bar with some pool tables and a room in the back for private events with two tables. Last time I went by, that one is still open. Don't recall the name of it.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would imagine that most U.S. pro players could not secure bank loans of sufficient capital size , based solely upon their profession, to open a very expansive room. I also doubt that many American players in history have banked and saved large amounts of capital. So I would think that in most cases there are other financial backers, beyond pro players, involved in a larger room opening. Given all of that, the Covid situation adds one more variable to the financial mix.
I do believe that - in the right area, with so little competition these days, a billiard hall that can put together the right mix of food, drink, pool leagues, tournaments, music, staff, etc. can still be a very viable business proposition. I understand that Jason Shaw is doing a very good job up in Ct. at U.S. 1 Billiards, in West Haven, CT - his father- in- law's former place. I hope we continue to see some new openings- I personally would support any decent place that opens here in SW Florida- I am not thrilled with anything that I have seen within a 100 mile radius of my home here.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fist one closed several years ago. There was a big hoopla about the new location opening just down the road a little. It opened but not under his name, and it was not really impressive. Not bad, just nothing special. A bar with some pool tables and a room in the back for private events with two tables. Last time I went by, that one is still open. Don't recall the name of it.
What is Stevie Moore doing these days? Any ideA?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kayhills. Its closed. That's where ArchersPlace is supposed to go.

9ballscorpion

I would imagine that most U.S. pro players could not secure bank loans of sufficient capital size , based solely upon their profession, to open a very expansive room. I also doubt that many American players in history have banked and saved large amounts of capital. So I would think that in most cases there are other financial backers, beyond pro players, involved in a larger room opening. Given all of that, the Covid situation adds one more variable to the financial mix.
I do believe that - in the right area, with so little competition these days, a billiard hall that can put together the right mix of food, drink, pool leagues, tournaments, music, staff, etc. can still be a very viable business proposition. I understand that Jason Shaw is doing a very good job up in Ct. at U.S. 1 Billiards, in West Haven, CT - his father- in- law's former place. I hope we continue to see some new openings- I personally would support any decent place that opens here in SW Florida- I am not thrilled with anything that I have seen within a 100 mile radius of my home here.

I think that if Scott Frost could get the backing that he probably needed to create Freezer's Sports Bar (near Phoenix), then a Legend like Johnny Archer should be able to get the backing that he needs to open a pool hall too.

I wish Johnny Archer the best of success with his new pool hall venture.

I believe that a player of his fame should be able to get enough investors to invest in a pool hall, and it would be really cool if it could be as big and successful as Freezer's has been.

I follow Jayson Shaw on Facebook, and his pool room looks like it is doing great. It gets a lot of business from the looks of it. It is pretty close to New York city too, so a lot of New York players might visit his place, and get into action there.

Last edited:

mrpiper

Registered
Kayhills. Its closed. That's where ArchersPlace is supposed to go.
Didn't know that Kayhiill's had closed. Sorry to hear that for any small business. That location was supposed to be "Archers" originally but Mr. Kayhill told me there was some strong disagreement on business matters or levels of investment among the parties potentially involved in the deal. I don't recall the specifics honestly, but I wish all parties well.

Maybe Mr. Archer makes enough these days selling Cue sticks and Cue balls and Billiard gloves that he doesn't have to be involved in the struggle of owning and maintaining a facility? Again, I just wish them success and hope SOMEONE opens a nice facility in the area.

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that if Scott Frost could get the backing that he probably needed to create Freezer's Sports Bar (near Phoenix), then a Legend like Johnny Archer should be able to get the backing that he needs to open a pool hall too.

I believe that a player of his fame should be able to get enough investors to invest in a pool hall, and it would be really cool if it could be as big and successful as Freezer's has been.

I follow Jayson Shaw on Facebook, and his pool room looks like it is doing great. It gets a lot of business from the looks of it. It is pretty close to New York city too, so a lot of New York players might visit his place, and get into action there.
my understanding is that scott frost had 0 percent ownership in the freezers
just his friend lenny used the name and let scott along for the ride until i think they had a falling out. a few years after the pool hall opened.
lenny explained that on her a few years ago it seemed

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Freezer's is no more. Called 'Mills Modern Social' now. Re-opened 2-17.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my understanding is that scott frost had 0 percent ownership in the freezers
just his friend lenny used the name and let scott along for the ride until i think they had a falling out. a few years after the pool hall opened.
lenny explained that on her a few years ago it seemed
IIRC most of the $$ for Freezer's came from an old friend of Scott's back in Iowa. Lenny was the GM i'm pretty sure.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it takes a great business person to make it pay off, other than meek out a substandard living in a pool room.

he has to be able to run a pool room and its players, a very profitable bar and its different customers, a retail store selling equipment and services, and great food to draw in customers.

being a champion pool player doesnt add enough pizazz to the name to make much of a difference.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No the 2018 thing fell through. He is supposed to be opening up in Cartersville, GA this spring.

L.S. Dennis

I do recall Archer and Kim Davenport having opened something several years ago which I’m think is long gone by now.
I remember playing at Davenport’s pool room in Modesto California called ‘Championship Billiards’ many years ago.

Hard to keep up with all the opening and closings these days.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
just a wild guess but pool time should only be maybe about 20% of a rooms revenue.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Simple answer to a long question. You still can be successful in owning and operating a poolroom or sports bar if you know what you're doing. Being a good player is not a prerequisite.

I have a vision of a billiards super store, kind of like Bass Pro Shops for outdoors types. It would be both a first class poolroom and a billiard supply. There could be separate areas for pool tables, cues, and even cue repairs. You could offer a full range of equipment from starter level gear to high end merchandise. Of course, an eating area and bar would be on the playing side. I'm probably talking a 500K investment to build it out but you would have something sustainable that could turn a healthy profit if run right. Just an idea, that's all.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look, if a pro player with a big name is lending his/her name and/ or also investing their own money in a billiard establishment; then it has to be located in a fairly densely populated area where the name recognition can draw sufficient number of customers to establish profitability.

Years ago Mickey Mantle sold his name to a sports themed restaurant/bar in NYC upper west side on Central Park West- it was very successful for a period of time- the food was great- Mantle was almost never there. Bobby Valentine was very successful in Ct starting in 1981 with a series of sports themed bar/restaurants. Bobby would be there quite often and mix with the customers quite a bit. He was a working owner.

I don't think a pro billiard player's name adds much to a billiard place unless they are invested with their time being devoted to the frequent customer player's interests. I would expect some interaction with a pro player as a frequent customer- at least a friendly game and some conversation on occasion- otherwise- what's the point?